ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shakuhachi Fingering Charts
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Jarle Jivanmukta

PostPosted: 2011-10-24, 13:44    Post subject: Shakuhachi Fingering Charts Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Can someone point me to the correct notation for James Nyoraku Schlefers Shakuhachi Workbook - Daily practice exercises for technical development?
If it has both japanese notation, fingering, and western notation it will be specially nice!!

Jarle
CharlesKoeppen

PostPosted: 2011-10-24, 17:03    Post subject: Shakuhachi Fingering Charts Reply with quote

This thread on the old forum has a link to a font file and documentation derived from the fonts used in James Nyoraku Schlefer's book: http://shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=2798

I wasn't able to get the documentation to open correctly (I only have Word 2003, I tried Openoffice that usually works with .docx files but still didn't get anything readable).

You could always get James' 10 Original Duets book. That has explanation for some of the notes (Eb, E, Ab, Bb, B, D) in the beginning of book, and along with both western and shakuhachi notation in the book and other fingering charts I was able to figure it out. Even though James wrote the duets book to be exercises, they are very interesting compositions.
Visit poster’s website
Jarle Jivanmukta

PostPosted: 2011-10-24, 23:55    Post subject: Shakuhachi Fingering Charts Reply with quote

So none of the notations mentioned earlier in this thread will work?
CharlesKoeppen

PostPosted: 2011-10-25, 00:45    Post subject: Shakuhachi Fingering Charts Reply with quote

I don't think so, it's Jin Nyodo. It had me baffled for a while too, my first realization that not all shakuhachi notational systems are the same.
Visit poster’s website
Jarle Jivanmukta

PostPosted: 2011-10-26, 10:39    Post subject: Shakuhachi Fingering Charts Reply with quote

If it is Jin Nyodo school, I guess the introductory book for studying with Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin is good.
The notation is on the first page of the introductory book.
Being ignorant I just play accordingly and pretends it is the correct one, if it is uncorrect, I will happily not know (Until someone wiser might enlighten me, or my own understanding deepens :-)

BTW: If the moderators belive this is OT from the original thread, put it as a new thread - moderation is good and sets the standard for good behaviour :-)
CharlesKoeppen

PostPosted: 2011-10-26, 15:30    Post subject: Shakuhachi Fingering Charts Reply with quote

Yes, I just checked and it looks like that fingering chart works well with James Nyoraku Schlefer's books. There are a few notes on the first page that do not have the western equivalents, Nyoraku's duets book covers some of those, or in his practice book it shouldn't be difficult to figure out the pitches from the context. For anyone unaware, the link to Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin's chart and book are here: http://www.abstracttools.com/Shakuhachi/Downloading lessons.html
Visit poster’s website
CharlesKoeppen

PostPosted: 2011-11-01, 23:07    Post subject: Shakuhachi Fingering Charts Reply with quote

I've got the web-based interactive fingering chart working: http://shakuhachi.atspace.cc/online_finger_chart.html

It seems to work well on Firefox and Chrome. I initially had problems with IE9, it took about a full minute and a half to render the images the first few refreshes. I am working on that.

If you haven't tried the downloadable version, I think you'll like it. I find the transposition feature on it very useful (so I know what pitch should be sounding for a particular fingering on a flute that's not a 1.8).
Visit poster’s website
Hosei

PostPosted: 2011-11-21, 21:34    Post subject: Shakuhachi Fingering Charts Reply with quote

and here is the kyotaku fingering chart

http://www.kyotaku.nl/music.htm
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2011-11-24, 03:26    Post subject: Shakuhachi Fingering Charts Reply with quote

That Kyotaku notation in two colors is a great solution. It should become the norm.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2011-11-24, 10:31    Post subject: Shakuhachi Fingering Charts Reply with quote

And where there is a little bit in red on a black note or vice versa.. i means it is a meri note.
Nice!
Harder to photocopy...
Visit poster’s website Skype
De Fouw

PostPosted: 2011-11-24, 14:27    Post subject: Shakuhachi Fingering Charts Reply with quote

Waiting for this to be up and running (from Riley Lee's website):
Ryuzen

PostPosted: 2011-12-06, 00:01    Post subject: Shakuhachi Fingering Charts Reply with quote

Hello all,

I just wanted to be clear on the Shakuhachi Society of BC fingering chart. It's just one variation of a Kinko fingering chart. This chart is the same chart as the Kokusai Shakuhachi Kenshukan Chart which was developed by Katsuya Yokoyama with calligraphy by Teruo Furuya. This is one of the styles I studied so I asked permission if I could use this chart for the Shakuhachi Society of BC. This will be changing soon, just to let you know. Please take note of this.

Very best,

Alcvin

JF Lagrost wrote:
I thought put a sticky with some fingering charts from different schools could be useful in this section.

Here are the ones I have, please post yours!

Tozan Fingering Chart by John Kaizan Neptune : Left part / Right part / Entire

Kinko Fingering Chart from Shakuhachi Society of B.C. : Left part / Right part / Entire

Kinko Fingering Chart from Japan World Music : Entire

Tozan and Kinko (old & new) Fingering Chart : Left / Center / Right

Very simplified chart (only ロツレチリ), can be useful for initiation workshops : Entire

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:17    Post subject: Shakuhachi Fingering Charts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation