ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving from too flat to correct pitch...methods of training
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2011-05-22, 04:56    Post subject: Moving from too flat to correct pitch...methods of training Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Oups, sorry Jarle... I told you I was tired. Mr. Green
Just had a few students with kan problems.

Flat pitch surely diaphragm support and also some embouchure...
Visit poster’s website Skype
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2011-05-22, 06:13    Post subject: Moving from too flat to correct pitch...methods of training Reply with quote

Think "Early Bob Dylan" for nasal singing.

Think "Pavarotti" for diaphragm singing.

Now sing like Bob and then sing like Luciano.

Whatever you did differently is probably related to the diaphragm. Mr. Green
Jarle Jivanmukta

PostPosted: 2011-05-23, 13:01    Post subject: Moving from too flat to correct pitch...methods of training Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone contributing.
Apparently just asking this qustions and putting it into my awareness makes improvement :-)

So next question: If regular RO is D in western scale, how high should I be able to move to play Kari?
I find moving lower, to meri, not so difficult, but Kari....
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2011-05-23, 13:33    Post subject: Moving from too flat to correct pitch...methods of training Reply with quote

Jarle Jivanmukta wrote:

So next question: If regular RO is D in western scale, how high should I be able to move to play Kari?
I find moving lower, to meri, not so difficult, but Kari....

An exercise I do is to play for example on ro: D, Db, D, Eb, D only by tightening and loosening lips, no head movements. It is not easy to get those pitches but try to get it as close as possible. By doing this you will develop a lot of control.

Last edited by Brian Tairaku Ritchie on 2011-05-23, 22:14; edited 1 time in total
ntimperio

PostPosted: 2011-05-23, 19:49    Post subject: Moving from too flat to correct pitch...methods of training Reply with quote

Brian,

Wow, sounds like an awesome exercise! Thank you.

Nicholas
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2011-05-23, 19:51    Post subject: Moving from too flat to correct pitch...methods of training Reply with quote

Yes, I agree Brian. I make my students do that as well... so that they realise that it is not only the head position that changes pitch but also embouchure.
Nice stuff here! Okay
Have fun! to Jarle and others!
Jarle Jivanmukta

PostPosted: 2011-05-23, 21:32    Post subject: Moving from too flat to correct pitch...methods of training Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing.

I remember something like 6 months ago my teacher was showing me how its possible to play and move the tongue around simultaneously.

Of course I couldn't do it!
But yesterday I suddenly discovered that I could do it no problem :-)
and trying what Brian mentions above is also possible, but not as wide in the pitch intervall (yet).
Great!
iontichy

PostPosted: 2011-06-08, 21:37    Post subject: Moving from too flat to correct pitch...methods of training Reply with quote

Quote:
Kiku, what you are saying would make sense if this thread was about Kan :-D
But I think we are many that are happy and neeed to learn about Kan as well.

I'm glad she did, those tips helped me a lot with my kan problem again.

Thank you Smile

PostPosted: 2011-06-16, 17:46    Post subject: Moving from too flat to correct pitch...methods of training Reply with quote

ahhh.. I am glad... Confused
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:20    Post subject: Moving from too flat to correct pitch...methods of training

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation