ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

long flutes, adjusting hand and finger positions
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Jim Thompson
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-06-09, 08:07    Post subject: long flutes, adjusting hand and finger positions Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
So in my case, I'd be going from an original hole no a non-prexisting one. Your post suggests to me that it could be an issue. If I did something that negatively impacted the playing qualities this wonderful flute I'd hate myself. I guess it comes down to who's doing it.
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-06-09, 15:14    Post subject: long flutes, adjusting hand and finger positions Reply with quote

Jim Thompson wrote:
Question for Perry, Ken or anyone who knows: How do you feel about moving holes laterally as far as how it affects the way the flute plays?
Hi Jim,

When done correctly with attention to the original geometric shape, there should be almost noticeable difference. When I first started doing this kind of work, I used to fill the holes with different kinds of composite materials - plaster, glue and bamboo dust etc.... I was also doing restoration work on older flutes that had hole plugs made from filler. Noticing that filler can deteriorate over time, I thought that using something solid would be a better idea. I don't know how I came about it but I started making plugs from actual bamboo. It's much more time consuming as you can imagine but the results are worth it. I can match the plug to the the same depth of the hole chimney. If there were undercuts, they were filled and done over. Since the bore diameter of the hole location is not compromised, there should be very little noticeable difference, if any, in response and tone color (and none in pitch).

Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
If the new hole has the right architecture it will sound good. I had a 2.7 which originally had inline holes. But by the time I bought it there were two offset holes. I asked Perry to plug those and expose the original holes. It sounded much better after that........but that's because the original holes were shaped better.

Yeah, I remember that one. Great flute!

I once did a reverse hole move on a Neptune flute where someone had hole #1 moved up (medial or vertical) and made smaller as the original was too large for his finger. In this type of situation, the tone color and response are affected greatly. Afterwards, the flute (and new owner) was much happier.
Visit poster’s website
Jim Thompson
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-06-09, 18:51    Post subject: long flutes, adjusting hand and finger positions Reply with quote

Perry,
Thanks for the insight. It's a move that's coming up in my future but since I feel so queasy about it I think I'll wait until pressured.
Thanks again
jim
andy carter

PostPosted: 2011-06-29, 15:22    Post subject: long flutes, adjusting hand and finger positions Reply with quote

This is an interesting conversation.The flutes that I make if I put a hole in the wrong place for what ever reason and have to plug it and redrill then I feel I have ruined the flute
Marek

PostPosted: 2011-07-03, 11:43    Post subject: long flutes, adjusting hand and finger positions Reply with quote

Hi,

It's now some time since I have been toying with the 2.7, so I would like to share an observation or two.
I am not sure whether I was effectively able to improve the reach of my fingers because for a past week or two I had hardly time to exercise it because of school. However, I found that a lot can be done with working with the thumb position over hole no.5. Adjusting it on Y axis distributes the stretch between the index and the ring finger, actually enabling me to seal all the holes. It can be also moved to a little extent along the x axis, however, this impairs my capability of strong ataris. I have also tried to cover hole no.3 with my pinkie, but, given that my pinkie is rather feeble and thin, I found it extremely hard to produce any nice atari sounds. Covering the hole with my index finger, I still find it hard, but I sense more room for improvement.

Please, feel free to comment on these observations.

Cheers,

Marek
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:18    Post subject: long flutes, adjusting hand and finger positions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation