ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I scored a couple nice old postcards off eBay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Museum
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Jon Palombi

PostPosted: 2011-05-30, 00:06    Post subject: I scored a couple nice old postcards off eBay Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
These are a pair of postcards I recently bought off of eBay. The first postcard is from the 1920's and is a Komuso Zen Monk playing a shakuhachi. It was mailed to Milan, Italy. My family came to the United States from Milan in the late 1930's, so it is doubly fascinating to me.

The second one is from the 1970's or 1980's? I portrays a traditional Korean daegum player in Chosen Dynasty garb. Daegum or taegum??? I've never played a daegum but I admire their haunting tone. That being said, IMO, it is not as majestic or enigmatic sounding as the Japanese shakuhachi.

Last edited by Jon Palombi on 2011-07-01, 16:17; edited 1 time in total
spiralofhope

PostPosted: 2011-06-02, 03:14    Post subject: I scored a couple nice old postcards off eBay Reply with quote

I've seen that left picture before! I just can't remember where..

It was on a website. Perhaps that picture is well known, or maybe it's because it's a rare period picture which is now public domain?
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 06:50    Post subject: I scored a couple nice old postcards off eBay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Museum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation