ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying a first shakuhachi or jinashi?
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Lorka

PostPosted: 2011-12-07, 21:15    Post subject: Buying a first shakuhachi or jinashi? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Sorry C, I must have misread that bit.

Yeah, if you can get a nice jiari for $500, then you are coming out on top, for sure. The price ranges I mentioned were more in line with your typical range. Sounds like you got lucky.

I guess my general point was to caution people to go with what is cheapest. No one likes to fork out a small fortune, but if you want something pro level, it's gonna cost.

Yes, there is always the e-bay rebuttal, where sometimes good deals can be found. But as often as not, these are murky waters indeed.
Michael Komatsuzen
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-12-08, 01:43    Post subject: Buying a first shakuhachi or jinashi? Reply with quote

I burned through 5 1.8 options in the first year of playing before finally getting a flute I was satisfied with... one which I still play (not counting flutes I toyed with from ebay). It wasn't a cheap endeavor... and I ended up with the most expensive option out of the 5 flutes I held as my #1 1.8

But, I was a serious player before I started playing - if that makes sense. I like a lot of the advice in the fore-going, but would like to add that a beginner should have some sense of where they want to go with the flute and adjust their finances in accordance with their expectations. I guess that I can not really speak to schools that focus on jinashi, but if you are serious about shakuhachi after getting a Yuu, a wood flute, or other up-standing cheap-side shakuhachi, (I do not have experience with all makers out there) then consider the next price point to be around 2,000 USD- but with help from someone qualified to evaluate shakuhachi.

If you are more of a casual player, then the 200 USD - 1000 USD might be a good option

Here goes the first fulfillment of Jeff's promise... Even if it is only to evaluate a flute, paying a qualified teacher for their opinion isn't a bad idea, no matter what your commitment level. They would be able to help match a flute to whatever level of player you imagine yourself to be.
Lorka

PostPosted: 2011-12-08, 03:02    Post subject: Buying a first shakuhachi or jinashi? Reply with quote

Good advice Michael.

I had a similar experience. Though I have since narrowed things down to three 1.8 jiari and 2.4 jiari. Reading your story reminded me of something Derek Van Choice (a great guy, and passionate maker) mentioned to me when I was starting out.

I remember him telling me that I would spend several thousand dollars before I ended up with a flute I was happy with. Needless to say, I was horrified by that statement, and did not believe a word of it. The man exaggerated surely? Well, 4 years later, I can say he was right. I think going through a number of flutes, often of variable price and quality, is something of a rite of passage.

As Michael says, getting the advice of a teacher, or other trusted player whose opinion you value, is good advice. If you pick a good maker though (like say any of those on japanshakuhachi.com for example), you will get a solid flute.
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:19    Post subject: Buying a first shakuhachi or jinashi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation