ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NSD - New shakuhachi day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Andy Blake

PostPosted: 2011-07-08, 05:42    Post subject: NSD - New shakuhachi day Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Today was not really a new shakuhachi day for me but Sunday was and I am still bathing in the afterglow, so it seems close enough to call it NSD.

Last weekend I purchased a 2.1 flute from Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin. I was very fortunate to be able to try several candidates and select one that I liked. At my level of ability it was difficult to really discern the differences based on tonal qualities or playability and I must admit I made the choice more from an economic standpoint - i.e. chose one that was in the price range I was prepared for. I also must admit that I was predisposed to getting a 2.1 rather than a 2.0, although I can't say exactly why except some fuzzy notion I have about wanting to play lower tones.

Here are some pictures I took today:

It is certainly taking some adjustment to play this compared with my 1.8. The biggest difference is that Ro no kan does not come nearly as readily. Often I wind up with a harmonic tone (something I've come to refer to as 'shakuhachi feedback') or else an otsu version of the note. I am gradually beginning to coax a nice 2nd octave Ro but it requires patience and will take time to get consistent results. After only a few days of playing it though I am starting to love this flute.

I believe this shakuhachi was made by either Matsuda or Kitahara. The hanko doesn't resemble any I see in the hanko database.

My practice now involves playing pieces with both 1.8 and 2.1 flutes, interchanging them. It is surprising how much difference in technique is required to get clear tones between the two of them. I'm guessing that the radius of the utaguchi may be a factor in this, but have no basis for this theory beyond random speculation. As time goes on I hope to be playing the longer flute as naturally as the 1.8 has become (on most days).
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 01:19    Post subject: NSD - New shakuhachi day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation