ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hanakage hensokyoku 花かげ変奏曲 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
No-sword

PostPosted: 2011-07-29, 01:46    Post subject: Hanakage hensokyoku 花かげ変奏曲 questions Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I've been volunteered to play shakuhachi in a performance of Nomura Seiho's "Hanakage hensokyoku" by a bunch of elementary-school koto students. I have the koto score (which includes the shakuhachi part in staff notation) and a handwritten version of the shakuhachi part in Kinko notation. I have a couple of questions about the shakuhachi part:

1) What's the usual way to play the trill in bar 44? As written in staff notation, it's a high A with a "tr." and wavy line. The piece is in Gm, so you'd expect a trill between A and B♭. My Kinko part has a (kan) chi grace note before a hi meri, and then a yuri sign afterwards. Am I really supposed to trill between chi and hi no meri? Or do I play the chi (A) as a grace note followed quickly by the hi no meri (B♭), and then try to yuri that between A and B♭?

2) Bar 51 is a high "D - E♭ D B♭ - A -". My shakuhachi part has "ハ四五, ハ三五, ハ四, ヒメ, チ". Is "ハ四" just an abbreviation for "ハ四五", or is it something different?

3) Special bonus question: Is there a specific reason (desired effect) for playing ハ四五 here instead of just, say, ハ五? I mean, know that there are many ways of playing the same note, timbre is important, etc. -- but can anything more be read into Nomura's decision than "I guess he just wanted the sound of ハ四五 there"? My knowledge of the repertoire is still very shallow so if there is an interesting tale to tell about Nomura's writing for shakuhachi in general, etc., I would love to hear it.

Thanks!
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 06:45    Post subject: Hanakage hensokyoku 花かげ変奏曲 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation