ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teacher - who? how?
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2011-08-16, 00:34    Post subject: Teacher - who? how? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
GalinaSG wrote:

Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
Eventually I took lessons or workshops with most of them

I thought at a moment - maybe it is not so good to jump from one teacher to another, one should apply deeper attitude, and this jumping might be offending to them. But from the other side sticking with what is not yours is much worse.

Just to clarify. I definitely DON'Trecommend jumping from teacher to teacher. The people I've seen who do that are mixed up. I ended up taking lessons with the other teachers in addition to, not instead of, my lessons with Nyoraku. In NYC we cover lessons for each other when a teacher is on holiday or whatever. Plus workshops. I recommend picking a teacher and sticking with him/her as long as it makes sense, which is years, not weeks or months.

However if there are other players and teachers around I think it's very social to interact with them...........sometimes there are turf wars, which is stupid. Embarassed
x moran

PostPosted: 2011-08-16, 19:50    Post subject: Teacher - who? how? Reply with quote

Yes, everything that Brian said. Being a "Ronin Shakuhachi Student" (a student without a master) proves very frustrating, leads to futility, boredom, lack of of accomplishment, depression, and eventually, seppuku.

Pick the school (ryu) you want to study, find a teacher and stick with it.

But do go and get exposure from as many traveling teachers and camps as you can. And when you take these workshops don't be afraid of asking them to slow down the pace, cover pieces in easy to understand segments and repeat what you don't understand. The workshops are for you, not the teacher.

Teachers tend to want to cover too many or too long pieces in order to make you feel like you are getting your money's worth. Shorter, doable pieces, more time to cover details in phrasing and technique is best.
GalinaSG

PostPosted: 2011-08-16, 21:01    Post subject: Teacher - who? how? Reply with quote

Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
Just to clarify. I definitely DON'Trecommend jumping from teacher to teacher.

Oh, Brian, absolutely. I was incoherent talking to some voices in my own head. No jumping of course. Sorry.

PostPosted: 2011-08-16, 21:22    Post subject: Teacher - who? how? Reply with quote

x moran wrote:
Being a "Ronin Shakuhachi Student" ... leads to ... seppuku.

x moran wrote:
Teachers tend to want to cover too many or too long pieces in order to make you feel like you are getting your money's worth.

Looks like "Damned if you do, damned if you don't". I am not sure that I got your idea correctly.

PostPosted: Today at 00:59    Post subject: Teacher - who? how?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation