ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Detecting leaks
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Jeff Cairns
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-08-25, 15:17    Post subject: Detecting leaks Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Perry Yung wrote:

(BTW some people like to leave the beads of breath moisture inside the bore as the extra humidity may prevent cracking. This may work, but it also eventually leads to a funky smelling flute. Sad )

This may be so, but presumably not many are passing their shakuhachi around.........don't bogart.....that shakuhachi.....my friend......pass it over.....to me. Cool
Visit poster’s website Skype
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2011-09-07, 09:23    Post subject: Detecting leaks Reply with quote

Wel,l my human leaking detector said yesterday: "The bad news: It is not the flute. The good news: There is hope. If i can do it, you can learn it"
Visit poster’s website
Toby

PostPosted: 2011-09-07, 11:39    Post subject: Detecting leaks Reply with quote

Remember, not all non-leaking shakuhachi are created equal. Weak and rough sound could well be the flute. The trick is learning to maximize whatever is there.
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-09-07, 14:36    Post subject: Detecting leaks Reply with quote

LowBlow wrote:
Wel,l my human leaking detector said yesterday: "The bad news: It is not the flute. The good news: There is hope. If i can do it, you can learn it"

Hi LowBlow. I'm curious...did your human detector think the flute is a good one but just difficult?
Visit poster’s website
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2011-09-07, 15:30    Post subject: Detecting leaks Reply with quote

Perry Yung wrote:

Hi LowBlow. I'm curious...did your human detector think the flute is a good one but just difficult?

Not difficult for him :-)). Some notes needs correction while playing. And this will last to some problems when i buy a concert grade flute. Then i have to "unlearn" the corrections that are now needed. But this is way in the future.

It is a good one. I need to get more used to it. He would not use it for performance, but his performance flute(s) costs ten times as much.
Visit poster’s website
CharlesKoeppen

PostPosted: 2011-09-08, 15:50    Post subject: Detecting leaks Reply with quote

Aside from the leak tests suggested in this thread (water, "pop", teacher), I've noticed that leaky flutes have Otsu Ro, the lowest note on the shakuhachi, as the weakest note. Since the first post in this tread just mentioned a general weakness of tone, I'm wondering a leak should have ever been suspected in the first place. So, I'm asking to confirm my observation, is a weak Ro the best reason to suspect a leak?
Visit poster’s website
Jeff Cairns
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-09-09, 02:41    Post subject: Detecting leaks Reply with quote

Charlie, a weak ro is one reason to suspect a leak. If the instrument has a nakatsugi and the notes on the upper part are stronger, air loss in the nakatsugi would be suspect (that is if no cracks are visible otherwise.) However, a weak ro can also suggest a disproportionate geometry in the bore. That being said, overall weakness or 'stuffiness' but notes in tune might suggest a problem at the blowing end. Ranking these possible problems, I would hope for 1) blowing end problem, followed by 2) nakatsugi leak, followed by 3) leak any where else, and ending with 4) bore problem. How to assess?
1- are there any chips or cracks in the utaguchi blowing edge? Is the blowing edge blunt? Is the surface of the utaguchi face, whether inlaid or not, cracked, chipped, dirty or uneven in terms of its planar surface? is the inside of the blowing edge cracked, chipped or misshapen in any way?
2- inspect the nakatsugi joint. Is it loose? Do to two halves seat well? Are there any cracks, chips or irregularities in either the male or female parts of the joint? Are there any cracks on the surface of the female half exposed by the nakatsugi rings that seat with the male half?
3- are there any evident cracks not at fushi? Are any cracks at fushi overly wide (more than 1mm on the surface).
4- do all of the above check out okay?
Toby

PostPosted: 2011-09-09, 16:02    Post subject: Detecting leaks Reply with quote

I would agree that generally speaking if the notes get more difficult the lower one goes in the otsu, a leak is the most plausible culprit. Problems with the utaguchi usually show up more in the high kan and dai-kan. I've had flutes that play decently with a completely missing insert, although the sound is somewhat dull and of course it is really difficult to play meri.
Johnny Filter

PostPosted: 2011-09-10, 12:25    Post subject: Detecting leaks Reply with quote

Jeff Cairns wrote:

This may be so, but presumably not many are passing their shakuhachi around.........don't bogart.....that shakuhachi.....my friend......pass it over.....to me. Cool

Well, if you put a screen in your bell, well, I uh...well, uh...hmmm--easy player fo no note
Toby

PostPosted: 2011-09-10, 15:52    Post subject: Detecting leaks Reply with quote

Well actually, smoke is another good way to find leaks visually. Traditionally done with a big mouthful of cigar smoke (but take your pick), cover all holes except the end, fill the bore with smoke, seal the end and blow hard. The smoke will pass through the leaks, marking them with dark tar. This is usually used as a last resort for concert flutes or saxes, to detect pinhole leaks in the pads, but it would work with small cracks in shakuhachi or at a compromised joint.

Of course afterwards the flute smells like a stale barroom, so you really have to clean everything well. Of course depending on the smoke used, the odor could be more or less pleasant Embarassed
Jeff Cairns
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-09-10, 16:04    Post subject: Detecting leaks Reply with quote

Toby, a truly doobie-ous prospect.
Toby

PostPosted: 2011-09-11, 02:35    Post subject: Detecting leaks Reply with quote

Doobie-ous, and therefore nice done jointly... Mr. Green
Toby

PostPosted: 2011-09-11, 02:36    Post subject: Detecting leaks Reply with quote

Doobie-ous, and therefore nice done jointly... Mr. Green

Oops...double post...looks like I've made a hash of it.
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 01:00    Post subject: Detecting leaks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation