ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finger holes as close as possilbe - 2.4 as close as 1.8
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Jon Palombi

PostPosted: 2011-09-23, 17:29    Post subject: Finger holes as close as possilbe - 2.4 as close as 1.8 Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
Jon Kypros wrote:
PS My little finger was too skinny so it wont work for Chi. Closer holes will benefit those with disabilities and or small/skinny fingers the most.

Yes finger and hand size is a big determinant. We discovered that with Taimu. A lot of people could not close the holes, they were too big.

Yeah, I can just reach Chi on my new Perry Yung 3.0, with my pinkie. As Brian suggested, I try and lay the finger over the hole instead of closing it with just the very tip of my finger, as it would partially disappear into the large hole. After decades of bansuri playing... this is not so much of a stretch (pun intended). That being said, if my right arm was even 10mm shorter, I would be unable to blow Ro.

I am extremely curious how it would compare, purely in terms of sound quality (not playability), to one of Jon's 3.0 with alternative finger-hole spacing. Anyone else on this board, other than Jon himself, have any experience with one of Jon's looooooong flutes? Arguably, even if there is some loss in depth of tone, those with smaller hands/fingers and shorter arms... might be able to bridge a heretofore impossible physical barrier. It's certainly worth investigating, eh? Idea
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-09-24, 06:25    Post subject: Finger holes as close as possilbe - 2.4 as close as 1.8 Reply with quote

Next time I make a big one you can audition it, just to try it out.

PostPosted: 2011-09-24, 14:49    Post subject: Finger holes as close as possilbe - 2.4 as close as 1.8 Reply with quote

Okay Okay Okay Okay Okay Okay Okay

PostPosted: 2011-10-07, 13:48    Post subject: Finger holes as close as possilbe - 2.4 as close as 1.8 Reply with quote

Being double-jointed helps or at least it rally does for me. My absolutely max size is 3.2 and I am 160 cm.
Murai Eigoro has long being working with changing the finger hole placements a bit up and also not as spread out. It is in fact interesting what can be done. Great you are experimenting as well, Jon!
On this foggy picture I play a 3.2 made by Okuda. Old old mobile phone picture.... I like the vagueness of the picture... Holes are in straight line and very very hard for me to play...

Visit poster’s website Skype
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-10-07, 14:43    Post subject: Finger holes as close as possilbe - 2.4 as close as 1.8 Reply with quote

Hi Kiku,

It's good to hear that another maker, especially one so respected, has also worked with getting the holes closer. I've found that everyone has a max length that they can play safely with in-line holes. Flutes longer than an individuals max in-line hole length have to have the holes off-set so that the wrists can have a neutral/natural position and so that the bottom arm's shoulder can relax down naturally and not have to be "winged" up. I have fairly long arms and hands but even so I find anything longer than an 80cm shakuhachi needs offset holes.

Here are some pictures with my 3.3 "Eb"

Last edited by Jon Kypros on 2011-12-05, 20:29; edited 1 time in total
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-12-05, 17:52    Post subject: update Reply with quote

I have had a lot of positive feedback from people that have bought these as well as people who really appreciate the effort, especial those with disabilities like one of my students. However, others who have not yet been able to try my shakuhachi with closer finger holes think these closer holes are alien or somehow wrong for shakuhachi. However, I would like to point out that I am only doing this on large bass shakuhachi which are themselves not traditional as long shakuhachi are a development of the 20th century. I am now only doing this on shakuhachi longer than 2.7 unless requested otherwise by special order, mostly to meet some physical limitation or disability.

PostPosted: 2011-12-06, 03:39    Post subject: Finger holes as close as possilbe - 2.4 as close as 1.8 Reply with quote

I hope I will come cross one of these flutes of yours to try out one day!
And do tell us if you discover anything new! Exclamation
Visit poster’s website Skype
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:19    Post subject: Finger holes as close as possilbe - 2.4 as close as 1.8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation