ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Japan is the only way......etc.
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Daniel Ryudo
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-10-05, 16:23    Post subject: Moving to Japan is the only way......etc. Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Yes, they are something like student contests, just to show what kind of progress the students have made over the year. Where I live they are generally free for the guests who are invited or people who somehow know about them. The concerts for more of a general public are the ones we get to sell tickets for in order to recoup our own expenses, but the level of playing at these events is generally higher and there is a wide range of audience response, depending on the type of show. Generally audiences here are very appreciative but some koten concerts tend to be rather long and many people are either falling asleep or will leave after their particular group performs, as Jeff mentioned, and most of the audience members have some kind of connection with the players. But as I mentioned earlier we do have several koto players that know how to put on excellent, interesting concerts, not too long, and with a variety of types of music, and they have a large local following. They're fun to do concerts with.
Visit poster’s website
Jeff Cairns
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-10-06, 03:30    Post subject: Moving to Japan is the only way......etc. Reply with quote

I agree with your idea of happyoukai Lindsay, however that mentality stretches into non-happyoukai events as well. I was more commenting on the general perception of hogaku here in Japan and trying to give some reasons why that exists.
Visit poster’s website Skype
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-10-06, 20:13    Post subject: Moving to Japan is the only way......etc. Reply with quote

Jeff Cairns wrote:
My rant was more about the day-to-day. Of course we get some well known players from time to time and a university hogaku club. One interesting thing is that there is a music university here in Kumamoto, but they don't teach hogaku. When I asked why, the president answered that 4 years was not enough to educate professional players in his mind. A pretty narrow scope.

That is interesting that 4 years is enough for educating professional musicians in Western music but not in hōgaku. It is a little like the situation in universities in England where of course there is an expectation that the students of Western classical music has a certain high level of playing while this cannot be expected in music from other cultures.... but at least I said "other" cultures. In Japan the "other" has become hōgaku.
Daniel Ryudo
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-10-06, 23:53    Post subject: Moving to Japan is the only way......etc. Reply with quote

They do have a hogaku program at Tokyo University; the main one in the country, I guess. Is there one at a university in Osaka, Kiku?
Visit poster’s website
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-10-07, 07:49    Post subject: Moving to Japan is the only way......etc. Reply with quote

At Osaka geidai, you can take shakuhachi and koto lessons... but it is extremely minor. Basically hōgaku was absent.

Last edited by Kiku Day on 2012-10-07, 22:51; edited 1 time in total
Daniel Ryudo
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-10-07, 11:56    Post subject: Moving to Japan is the only way......etc. Reply with quote

Wow, so maybe the program at Tokyo geidai is the only one then...
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-10-07, 18:16    Post subject: Moving to Japan is the only way......etc. Reply with quote

You really gotta wonder about a culture that doesn't want to preserve its own music. And musicians who don't want to keep it alive.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-10-07, 22:54    Post subject: Moving to Japan is the only way......etc. Reply with quote

The thing is when is it "my own" music?
History and tradition... yes sure... but it also have to make sense and there need to be a familiarity feeling with the music.
The Japanese government during the Meiji era almost did a musical coup d'état... so the music that is kept alive in Japan is - one could say - their own music...
No-sword

PostPosted: 2012-10-10, 04:26    Post subject: Moving to Japan is the only way......etc. Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't want to get all Marxist up in here, but you could make a pretty respectable argument that the cultures to which sankyoku and honkyoku "belonged" are already gone, and it's surprising that their successor-and-related cultures have kept sankyoku/honkyoku going as long as they have. (Same goes for kouta etc. and even minyo.) The language used in sankyoku lyrics was already archaic when those lyrics were being written.

Whereas if you look at musics that actually are grass-roots and "belong to" a wide cross-spectrum of Japanese society, you end up with... the music the Meiji government started teaching in schools (that's the key, really); the kids' songs that got privately produced partly in response to that (and later became "canon"); and then, later, post-Beatles rock music, folk music, hip-hop, etc. (insert argument for enka as a traditional form here).
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:17    Post subject: Moving to Japan is the only way......etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation