ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New (old) Shakuhachi recording
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Media Centre
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Jeff Cairns
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-10-18, 09:10    Post subject: New (old) Shakuhachi recording Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I've seen quite a number like this one with regard to the utaguchi re-work and the binding. I second Perry's judgement that it was an utaguchi re-work much later on after the actual bamboo at the blowing edge had deteriorated. I also second Brian's suggestion that it's myoan and not tozan.
I think that Perry will bring the best out in it.
Visit poster’s website Skype
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-10-18, 10:38    Post subject: New (old) Shakuhachi recording Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeff... maybe you get to see it live and direct... I'm planning on coming to Kyoto for the festival. It will be a pleasure to meet some of you in person and in sound.
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-11-01, 23:35    Post subject: New (old) Shakuhachi recording Reply with quote

So the flute is back. Awesome work as expected from Perry. Tsu meris are soft but sweet. The mouthpiece looks great. Got so excited that I opened the package and played it for over an hour. Next day I had a nice urushi reaction inside my lower lip! Fortunately it only lasted a couple of days and following Perry's advice about using baby wipes every time before playing, no problem any more... except for the fresh baby bum smell on the flute Very Happy
Here's a little improv inside a pool room... don't mind the cleaning lady sounds Wink

<span>Shak. in the pool by jdanza</span>

and here's a photo of the mouthpiece

nice and smooth. Thanks Perry!
Jon Palombi

PostPosted: 2011-11-02, 04:48    Post subject: New (old) Shakuhachi recording Reply with quote

Well, it must be love! Considering you even could find a spare hour, the very week before your wedding to such a soulful and beautiful lady, is a testament to how inspired and infatuated you are with this most unique shakuhachi. This is clearly reflected in your enthusiastic musical expression.

Perry isn't just a proficient and pragmatic technician, as he obviously is, he is a healer. While the voice is brighter, cleaner and more distinct... the soft organic tonality has not been lost nor compromised. What a lovely, warm texture you weave with your soulful playing! The proof is in the pudding, since your improvisation is truly wonderful and most inspiring.

BTW, much love and congratulations on your wedding today. You two look so much in love! May you two continue to learn about the miracle of true love, for as long as you both shall live and breathe... even beyond the limits of measured time and the transitory frailty of human mortality. One love, two hearts, united forevermore in sublime harmony. Wink
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-11-02, 22:07    Post subject: New (old) Shakuhachi recording Reply with quote

Thank you Jon! We are in Seville honeymooning and I'm finding some amazing sonic spaces to play. Great and relaxed way to get acquainted with this wonderful instrument... Shakti does get jealous occasionally, and she tells me it's time to play my 5.7 (her new nickname Smile)
More recordings may be forthcoming
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2011-11-03, 01:56    Post subject: New (old) Shakuhachi recording Reply with quote

J. Danza wrote:
Shakti does get jealous occasionally

They all do. One of my students told me yesterday his wife is complaining he practices too much.......I told him, "comes with the territory." Razz Smile Evil or Very Mad Embarassed Confused
Jeff Cairns
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-11-03, 02:23    Post subject: New (old) Shakuhachi recording Reply with quote

Pepe, enjoy it all while it's there (I'm speaking equally about the 5.7 and the 1.8, of course.) May the adventure never cease.
Visit poster’s website Skype
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-11-03, 17:00    Post subject: New (old) Shakuhachi recording Reply with quote

Hola Pepe,
J. Danza wrote:
So the flute is back. Awesome work as expected from Perry. Tsu meris are soft but sweet. The mouthpiece looks great. Got so excited that I opened the package and played it for over an hour. Next day I had a nice urushi reaction inside my lower lip! Fortunately it only lasted a couple of days and following Perry's advice about using baby wipes every time before playing, no problem any more... except for the fresh baby bum smell on the flute Very Happy...
Thanks Perry!

Sorry about the rash. I would've normally kept the flute for another week in the curing box but I know you wanted it back soon. I'm glad the baby wipes worked.
Thank you for allowing me to meet this maker and his work from over 200 years ago!

Jon Palombi wrote:

Perry isn't just a proficient and pragmatic technician, as he obviously is, he is a healer.

Hi Jon, funny you should mention healing. I try my best to approach these old flutes as individuals. This comes from my experience with my Chinese Eastern medicine doctor. When I go to him for herbs, he looks into my eyes, at my tongue, reads my pulse, then asks how my week has been. He then prescribes a tonic based on the combination of these unique conditions. As most of you know, Western medicine practitioners mostly treat the symptoms, without seeing the whole being.

I am just grateful that people send me their flutes as I continue to learn from each one.

A deep bow, Perry.
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 01:03    Post subject: New (old) Shakuhachi recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Media Centre All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation