ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bruce Huebner to be on Begin Japanology

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Yuusui

PostPosted: 2011-10-31, 03:40    Post subject: Bruce Huebner to be on Begin Japanology Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I just saw that Bruce Huebner will be the guest on the next episode of Begin Japonology. It airs here this coming Wednesday on NHK World.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2011-10-31, 09:09    Post subject: Bruce Huebner to be on Begin Japanology Reply with quote

Yuusui, thanks for the info.
Here is a link to info and schedule to when the program will be sent:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/japanology/

Schedule:
UTC
NHK WORLD TV Thu. 00:30 - 01:00
04:30 - 05:00
08:30 - 09:00
12:30 - 13:00
16:30 - 17:00
20:30 - 21:00
BS1 (in Japan) Fri. 14:00 - 14:30 (JST)

I don't have much experience with TV online. Would this mean we can only watch the program at these times and not watch them online when we want? Smile
Visit poster’s website Skype
Jarle Jivanmukta

PostPosted: 2011-11-01, 11:07    Post subject: Bruce Huebner to be on Begin Japanology Reply with quote

The online stream is available on http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/
It seems like it is no restrictions for Norway, hopefully it is the same for other countries.
I did not find any place to see it as videocast.
Nathan

PostPosted: 2011-11-09, 06:38    Post subject: Bruce Huebner to be on Begin Japanology Reply with quote

Did anyone catch this episode? Bruce visits a fellow former student of Yamaguchi Goro, Ryomei Tachibana, and discovers that the technique he employs for trilling the ヒ (thumb) going into イ, was actually done moving his entire arm back and forth. Very interesting! Has anyone else been taught this, or just by chance found it to be a better way to get that really fast repetition?
Lorka

PostPosted: 2011-12-07, 17:05    Post subject: Bruce Huebner to be on Begin Japanology Reply with quote

Hi Nathan, Michael Gould also uses this style for trilling. I have been trying to learn it myself. The advantage, as you can imagine, is that once the technique is learned you can trill at a disturbing speed which would normally be impossible with the "standard" thumb up and down trill. The thumb is simply not designed to move up and down that fast. The Goro technique, however, uses a type of hand/arm motion that is less restricted (i.e. can move faster). Learning this trill-variant is tricky though. Hope that helps somewhat. If you want to learn it properly consider asking Michael, or any other licensed teacher, just so you get the technique down properly.
Jeff Cairns
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-12-08, 01:57    Post subject: Bruce Huebner to be on Begin Japanology Reply with quote

I had always assumed that trill technique involved sliding the thumb over the back hole in a more or less up and down fashion and not actually lifting the thumb off the instrument at all. This technique certainly achieves the same effect. Having to move the entire arm seems uneconomical but there's no arguing that it works well for others.
Visit poster’s website Skype
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 17:18    Post subject: Bruce Huebner to be on Begin Japanology

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation