ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi
Goto page: 1, 2  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
x moran

PostPosted: 2011-03-24, 21:55    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Question

1. Do you want to perform publicly?

2. Do you want to perform professionally?

3. Do you aspire to play like professional shakuhachi players?

4. Do you want to play for spiritual fulfillment? (If so, what does that look like to you? Describe that for us the best you can.)

5. Any other expectations? (All except 'attracting girls', because we all know that shakuhachi makes you guy-players real stud-muffins and makes women-players into Ultra-Wonder Woman, so let's leave the mating motivation aside for now.)

6. No expectations? (If so, please tell us, to the best of your ability, what having no expectations for your shakuhachi playing looks like?)

Last edited by x moran on 2011-03-26, 00:00; edited 2 times in total
Visit poster’s website
Yu-Jin

PostPosted: 2011-03-24, 23:28    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Reply with quote

I was just looking for good instrument for good meditation music. Once I've heard "Time Stood Still" by Riley Lee I thought "That's it!" At that point I did not know anything about the origin or traditions of shakuhachi. I just wanted to be able to play like Riley (little did I know... Rolling Eyes )
Right now I am just learning because I like it. Will my playing ever become professional? You just never know...
Rick Riekert

PostPosted: 2011-03-25, 15:27    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Reply with quote

When I first started listening to shakuhachi music in the mid 1970s I liked the sound of the instrument and the inward quality of the solo pieces. I also wondered what it would take to be able to play those dazzling fast passages in sankyoku I’d heard. However, for the next 15 years I studied countertenor singing and classical guitar. When I started listening again regularly to traditional Japanese music several years back I thought I might enjoy the challenge of learning to play well what sounded like, and I had read was, a rather difficult instrument. So I began taking lessons and am doing so now. My only goal (and expectation) is to play every piece I learn to my (and my teacher’s) satisfaction.
Todd Frederick

PostPosted: 2011-03-25, 21:07    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Reply with quote

For meditation and to accompany mental prayer.
Itamar Foguel

PostPosted: 2011-03-25, 21:26    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Reply with quote

When i first met the shakuhachi it was after 14 years of playing side flute, and many years of classical western music studiyng. i got intrested in world music and started to explore flutes from around the globe. when i first met the shakuhachi and seen it even before i play it, i fell in love, later i fell in love with its voice, and began my self study making and playing it, and later on taking lessons.

I expect from the shakuhachi?
To continue explore sound scape, Japanese music culture craft and art.
connect with other people through the instrument.
express my feelings, sometimes playing the shakuhachi is the only way.
public playing? well it will happen soon, concerts are exciting, and introducing new people to the shakuhachi and the Japanese music is great.
Also studying it with Michael, its very different then the western music and somehow it feels that it completes my playing from the silver flute,
shakuhachi gives a lot more attention about sound textures and dynamics rather then tonal changes and technique of the western music.

Last edited by Itamar Foguel on 2011-03-26, 14:25; edited 1 time in total
Visit poster’s website
Rob Bondy

PostPosted: 2011-03-26, 05:37    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Reply with quote

I just like playing right now. I am taking lessons, so I have real interest in seeing how much I can get out myself and the instrument. I also utilize it for art practice.
Visit poster’s website
GalinaSG

PostPosted: 2011-03-26, 10:21    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Reply with quote

I first took shakuhachi in my hand even before I heard how it sounds. Then I attended group lesson - and stayed.
I just play phrases, try to play pieces, I like how it sounds, I like attending our lessons in tea house, and concerts of our teacher and more experienced playaers here in Moscow.
Couple of times I was asked to play in public, it pleased me, but I do not think that I have a goal to play professionally. I just want to play better.
I am not sure that I know what is spiritual fulfillment, but I like the feeling of calm and peace when I play. Sometimes I can not reach it because of distractions - thinking about some issues on my job, checking e-mails and forums and livejournal entries blah-blah-blah. By the way I noticed that after I start practicing shakuhachy people tell me that I changed somehow - somehow more balanced, like having more inner power, but they never explayned me what specifically they mean, because I do not feel like this - I mean I do not feel myself more powerful.

Last edited by GalinaSG on 2011-04-10, 22:33; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: 2011-03-27, 21:18    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Reply with quote

Just noticed
x moran wrote:
What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Question
5. Any other expectations? (All except 'attracting girls', because we all know that shakuhachi makes you guy-players real stud-muffins and makes women-players into Ultra-Wonder Woman, so let's leave the mating motivation aside for now.)

Why did you mention that? Nobody will confess than! Laughing

PostPosted: 2011-04-02, 04:22    Post subject: #3 mostly... Reply with quote

After listening to the first shakuhachi CDs I bought about 5 years ago, I aspired to play like the pros. Later, I found that the deep breathing was really beneficial to stress release (even better than the eventual outcome of #5 :)
Visit poster’s website
Mahler

PostPosted: 2011-04-05, 06:22    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Reply with quote

1. Do you want to perform publicly?

Perhaps someday.As I'm my own worst critic,I want to be decent before venturing out in public.

2. Do you want to perform professionally?

No.

3. Do you aspire to play like professional shakuhachi players?

Aspire maybe;realistically I never see myself getting that good.Yes, I'm a pessimist sometimes. LOL

4. Do you want to play for spiritual fulfillment? (If so, what does that look like to you? Describe that for us the best you can.)

Yes, very much so.The meditative qualities the shakuhachi reveals to me transcend most other types of music,save possibly my idol Gustav Mahler.

Only to learn as much as I can and actually be able to play with others and NOT embarrass myself!!! Play duets possibly.

Great questions Chris!!

Jim
Yahoo Messenger
Christian Grobmeier
Administrator

PostPosted: 2011-04-06, 07:27    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Reply with quote

I try to learn just to play and just to breath without any ego.

From 1995 - 2007 I was a rock musician (in details, heavy metal) and all my life was around that. We played gigs and wanted to become famous in some kind. I have felt that I don't want this really, but ignored myself and tried it anyway. This lead me into something worse.

Roundabout 2001 I have started to work like an idiot about 60 hours a week. This conflicted with my musical career of course and lead to something worse (again).

I started with Zen and then pretty soon with Shakuhachi and the first thing I learned was from Kodo Sawaki: Zen doesn't give you anything. In respect to that I try to play Shakuhachi and don't expect anything. I am not looking for enlightenment.

Now I am simply glad that I have the chance to continue, to practice and to have a teacher whom I can respect. I try to lower my ego and play without comparing myself to others. I have already got more than I have expected. I don't ask for more - I am already a lucky person.

Christian
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-04-06, 17:09    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Reply with quote

Christian Grobmeier wrote:
I try to learn just to play and just to breath without any ego.

Now I am simply glad that I have the chance to continue, to practice and to have a teacher whom I can respect. I try to lower my ego and play without comparing myself to others. I have already got more than I have expected. I don't ask for more - I am already a lucky person.

Christian

Well said Christian,
This is pretty much how I have always approached playing (except that I needed my flutes to work in my own performances). But, somehow it gave me much more than I could ever have imagined.
Namaste, Perry
Visit poster’s website
chuck56

PostPosted: 2011-04-06, 18:29    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Reply with quote

I’ve never seen myself as a performer, so my taking up the shakuhachi was a solitary thing. I hoped that I could play the types of shakuhachi songs I heard on CDs well enough that I’d at least enjoy them.

It’s been about 7 years of playing and recently I’ve been pushing myself to play around other people. I’ve even been playing in a local park once or twice a week. Once I got past some of the worst initial fears, I’m enjoying it a lot. I don’t think I’ll ever play professionally, but a new expectation for me is to perform publicly.

Do I aspire to play like a professional shakuhachi player? Of course but I’ll be very satisfied to make music that is pleasant and enjoyable to those who hear me. Also, it will be nice when someday I can get fully lost in my playing, when the music will flow from me and my mind has a simple undistracted focus on my playing. A Zen aspiration.

Live the moment, be kind and be your self!
jamesnyman

PostPosted: 2011-04-08, 19:15    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Reply with quote

I loved the sound of the shakuhachi for years...mainly from listening to Riley Lee tapes and CDs. Having never played a musical instrument, I decided to take up the shakuhachi. It was much more difficult than I imagined. It took me quite some time to make any sound. Now I have memorized two pieces...Kyorei and Choshi...and play them along with robuki and improv. I often try to play along with CDs. I sometimes play in my wife's office building while I wait for her...this is mostly met with smiles and inquires. I play every day. It helps me center myself and brings me peace.

PostPosted: 2011-04-10, 22:24    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi Reply with quote

What do I expect? It's a tough question, since from my zen practice I've been taught that it's best to avoid having what they call a "gaining idea." I don't want to perform professionally, or even with other people. I want to blow into a stick and make nice sounds. Anything else will be gravy.
Matt
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 01:46    Post subject: What do you expect from taking up shakuhachi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: 1, 2  >
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation