ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double chamber drone Shak... Fail.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Author Message
Michael Vincent
Member

Offline

Joined: 03 Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Localisation: NYC

PostPosted: 2011-12-05, 22:35    Post subject: Double chamber drone Shak... Fail. Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
In case you've ever been inspired by double chamber American Indian flutes, and thought, "why not a shakuhachi?" let me save you some time. It doesn't work. Of course, had I remembered some of the wind instrument basics learned from spending hours pouring over Navaching, I would have probably realized this before wasting time building it. Having the drone chamber really doesn't produce a separate tone, but it changes the air pressure in the main chamber, throws off the tuning and scale, and completely tweeks the aspect ratio. Sort of sounds like a bassoon! No wonder Google searches returned nothing on a double barreled or drone shak. Embarassed Live and learn.



Oh well. At least PVC is cheap. Very Happy
Back to top
Kiku Day
Moderator

Offline

Joined: 20 Mar 2011
Posts: 865
Localisation: Nr Snede, DK/London UK

PostPosted: 2011-12-06, 03:36    Post subject: Double chamber drone Shak... Fail. Reply with quote

I'd like to hear tho... Cool
Back to top
Visit poster’s website Skype
Brian Tairaku Ritchie
Moderator

Offline

Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Posts: 635
Localisation: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

PostPosted: 2011-12-06, 06:46    Post subject: Double chamber drone Shak... Fail. Reply with quote

The double chamber flutes I've seen have double fipples as well......since our mouth is the fipple that's difficult unless "uomo bianco parla con lingua bifurcata" which is always the case around here. Shocked Mort de Rire Okay Very Happy
Back to top
Michael Vincent
Member

Offline

Joined: 03 Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Localisation: NYC

PostPosted: 2011-12-06, 08:43    Post subject: Double chamber drone Shak... Fail. Reply with quote

Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
The double chamber flutes I've seen have double fipples as well......since our mouth is the fipple that's difficult unless "uomo bianco parla con lingua bifurcata" which is always the case around here. Shocked Mort de Rire Okay Very Happy


Yeah, a thin membrane/divider inserted right in the middle of the utaguchi and dividing each chamber could work (in theory), but I'm guessing it would take perfect embouchure to make it work. Maybe a drone nose flute using a fipple? Laughing

And Kiku... careful what you wish for. It sounds pretty awful!
Back to top
Kiku Day
Moderator

Offline

Joined: 20 Mar 2011
Posts: 865
Localisation: Nr Snede, DK/London UK

PostPosted: 2011-12-06, 12:08    Post subject: Double chamber drone Shak... Fail. Reply with quote

Michael Vincent wrote:


And Kiku... careful what you wish for. It sounds pretty awful!


Then I wanna hear even more!!!! Razz
Back to top
Visit poster’s website Skype
Perry Yung
Professional Member

Offline

Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 346
Localisation: New York City, UWS

PostPosted: 2011-12-06, 16:11    Post subject: Double chamber drone Shak... Fail. Reply with quote

Michael Vincent wrote:
Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
The double chamber flutes I've seen have double fipples as well......since our mouth is the fipple that's difficult unless "uomo bianco parla con lingua bifurcata" which is always the case around here. Shocked Mort de Rire Okay Very Happy


Yeah, a thin membrane/divider inserted right in the middle of the utaguchi and dividing each chamber could work (in theory), but I'm guessing it would take perfect embouchure to make it work. Maybe a drone nose flute using a fipple? Laughing


Yes, a separate chamber that originates at the same blowing edge would work. I have an electric shruti box that makes for great practice. It provides a drone or chords.

Kiku Day wrote:
Michael Vincent wrote:


And Kiku... careful what you wish for. It sounds pretty awful!


Then I wanna hear even more!!!! Razz


Some very influential shakuhachi figures have said that all sound is music. I agree. It's not about beautiful or awful. It's music. Shocked
_________________
"A hot Dog is not an animal" - Jet Yung
Blog on shakuhachi, art and parenting - www.yungflutes.com
Back to top
Visit poster’s website
Michael Vincent
Member

Offline

Joined: 03 Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Localisation: NYC

PostPosted: 2011-12-07, 04:44    Post subject: Double chamber drone Shak... Fail. Reply with quote

Perry Yung wrote:
Michael Vincent wrote:
Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
The double chamber flutes I've seen have double fipples as well......since our mouth is the fipple that's difficult unless "uomo bianco parla con lingua bifurcata" which is always the case around here. Shocked Mort de Rire Okay Very Happy


Yeah, a thin membrane/divider inserted right in the middle of the utaguchi and dividing each chamber could work (in theory), but I'm guessing it would take perfect embouchure to make it work. Maybe a drone nose flute using a fipple? Laughing


Yes, a separate chamber that originates at the same blowing edge would work. I have an electric shruti box that makes for great practice. It provides a drone or chords.

Kiku Day wrote:
Michael Vincent wrote:


And Kiku... careful what you wish for. It sounds pretty awful!


Then I wanna hear even more!!!! Razz


Some very influential shakuhachi figures have said that all sound is music. I agree. It's not about beautiful or awful. It's music. Shocked


In your hands Perry, definitely! Wink Maybe I'll drop it off at your place and we can make a vid for Kiku. Laughing
Back to top
Perry Yung
Professional Member

Offline

Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 346
Localisation: New York City, UWS

PostPosted: 2011-12-07, 14:16    Post subject: Double chamber drone Shak... Fail. Reply with quote

Michael, Of course! Bring some of your great tea!
_________________
"A hot Dog is not an animal" - Jet Yung
Blog on shakuhachi, art and parenting - www.yungflutes.com
Back to top
Visit poster’s website
Michael Vincent
Member

Offline

Joined: 03 Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Localisation: NYC

PostPosted: 2011-12-08, 03:08    Post subject: Double chamber drone Shak... Fail. Reply with quote

Will do! Wink Let me know what days you are free.
Back to top
Perry Yung
Professional Member

Offline

Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 346
Localisation: New York City, UWS

PostPosted: 2011-12-08, 15:44    Post subject: Double chamber drone Shak... Fail. Reply with quote

Michael Vincent wrote:
Will do! Wink Let me know what days you are free.


Leaving today to perform until Dec 15th. Let's meet up after that. I wanna see the 2.4!
_________________
"A hot Dog is not an animal" - Jet Yung
Blog on shakuhachi, art and parenting - www.yungflutes.com
Back to top
Visit poster’s website
Michael Vincent
Member

Offline

Joined: 03 Jul 2011
Posts: 13
Localisation: NYC

PostPosted: 2011-12-09, 01:43    Post subject: Double chamber drone Shak... Fail. Reply with quote

Safe travels in Qatar! Sounds like a real adventure. I'm really happy with how the 2.4 (2.45 to be precise) came out, but I'm anxious to hear it played by someone skilled. We'll be in touch.
Back to top
Contenu Sponsorisé






PostPosted: Today at 09:54    Post subject: Double chamber drone Shak... Fail.

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2017 phpBB Group