ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3, 4  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-04-09, 00:20    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Spokes and more spokes!

Last edited by Jon Kypros on 2012-04-12, 05:50; edited 1 time in total
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-04-09, 00:21    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

Spokes secured with cotton twine (basic over under weave around twice) and some weaving done with rattan (herringbone under two over two weave).

Last edited by Jon Kypros on 2012-04-12, 05:50; edited 1 time in total
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-04-09, 00:22    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

After hours and hours of weaving I finally finished the top of the hat which measures 12" in diameter.

Last edited by Jon Kypros on 2012-04-12, 05:49; edited 1 time in total
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-04-09, 19:10    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

I've reached the "jelly fish" stage on the new tengai. I ended up re-doing the last bit at the bottom so that it sloped evenly instead of the abrupt turn downward seen below.

Last edited by Jon Kypros on 2012-04-12, 05:48; edited 3 times in total
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-04-11, 21:22    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

I added additional spokes in the brim twine which is comprised of four rows of raffia. I should have put the additional spoke ends (sticking up around brim) up on the inside! I had to pull them down carefully one by one and thread them back underneath which took hours of work! Live and learn~

Last edited by Jon Kypros on 2012-04-12, 05:47; edited 1 time in total
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-04-12, 05:46    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

I'm finally doing the first twine around after hours and hours of adjusting spokes, correcting mistakes and locking in all of the new spokes with four rows of raffia.

Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-04-17, 23:04    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

video how to weave the lattice face screen:

http://youtu.be/VSRSmOTpySk

PostPosted: 2012-04-18, 17:40    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

Very interesting posts, I've been following your progress, this one is looking very authentic in shape! I imagine this work could be a "way" in itself....

Hope you can post more as you make progress.

Good luck
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-04-28, 03:18    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

After looking at a lot of Tengai I realized that only recently has the image become standardized with commercially available Tengai. This lead me re-make my Tengai in a processes that appealed to me. I decided to weave the entire hat and do a different face screen/lattice. Now time to go play! Ro on~

My Tengai complete

Me with finished Tengai and Kimono

A wide variety of Tengai.

One close to my in design.

PostPosted: 2012-04-28, 07:03    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

That's pretty fantastic Jon. How many hours was the entire project?

The dudes in pic #3 look like they're blowing long flutes. Who they is?
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-04-28, 14:14    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

Wow! That is SO cool! Yes! More details! Smile
Okay Okay Okay
Visit poster’s website Skype
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-04-28, 16:44    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
That's pretty fantastic Jon. How many hours was the entire project?

The dudes in pic #3 look like they're blowing long flutes. Who they is?

Kiku Day wrote:
Wow! That is SO cool! Yes! More details! Smile
Okay Okay Okay

Thank you Brian and Kiku. For me a total novice without any outside help it would have taken me two full weeks working non-stop almost all day with breaks for food and soaking the reeds. However, I made so many mistakes and had to tear apart days and even a week of work because of some mistake made previously. So much is effected by what you've done before which can be nerve racking and annoyingly symbolic. At times I felt completely defeated to the point of no emotion.

Here's a link to the pictures (http://blog.goo.ne.jp/tulipculb1945/e/f5a4b8760dcc06c3d849f2702ee60627). I think it probably says where the Komuso are from but when translated into English it translates their school or temple into something weird I think like "Myoon". Maybe Myoan? I didn't notice all the different shakuhachi lengths that's great.

To weave the top of the hat took me a week. It took another week to add the additional spokes and "twine" them. When I decided to weave the whole hat instead of twining a bunch of spokes together it took me four days of weaving and then a day to cut out the spokes for the face lattice and tuck them back under and put the brim on the hat.

PostPosted: 2012-04-28, 16:48    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

Will you write up something more detailed about the process... or at least make something people could perhaps use as guidelines. I think your experiments are of great value! Thanks for sharing, Jon!
Visit poster’s website Skype
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-04-28, 17:40    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

Kiku Day wrote:
Will you write up something more detailed about the process... or at least make something people could perhaps use as guidelines. I think your experiments are of great value! Thanks for sharing, Jon!

Thank you for asking because I forgot to tell you all a few more bits of Tengai specific info (there's not much). The process, I found out, is the same as weaving anything free-hand and I would strongly recommend getting a book to those that wish to do this. I did not get a book and I really suffered for it. There is little information online that I could find and google made me forget about the library and other real-world resources. honestly. The only online info I found that helped was, "don't pull the weaver". So I stopped pulling the weaver and became much more gentle.

I would also highly recommend people use a weaving mold or make a mold out of foam or maybe wire/chicken wire. I wish I would have used a mold because free-handing was/is ridiculously hard. I found out about molds near the end after bringing it into a local shop to buy a few extra materials like the brim piece which is just a slightly larger piece of rattan. The women at the shop was a joy, full of knowledge and had nothing but nice things to say about my hat. For a mold I would just make sure you can remove it as most Tengai taper which would trap a mold I was told. So either a mold you can cut out or multiple molds is all I can think of.

Here's that Tengai specific info!
I would recommend making the hat to your head size. I have a big head, about 23" in circumference. I find this Tengai with a max diameter of 13" (43" circumference) at it's widest (near the middle) to be great. I tapered it down to about 12" dia. just before the bottom where it starts to flair out again at the brim to about 13" again. The face screens tend to be half the width of the hat and half the total height of the hat if you continue the face screen to the brim. Surprisingly that is it!

One last thing, I'm not sure if I mentioned but I just bought some poly rope at a home store to make the head ring. To secure the head ring to the inside of the hat I inserted a copper wire ring which I secured with raffia to the inside which I tied the head ring to. I did this to prevent the head ring from tugging on the hat and warping it. I still have to finish it up but here's a picture:

Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-04-28, 21:13    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

I almost forgot, I'll be back with the Kesa (shoulder brocade) and maybe the Gebako or 偈箱, the "sutra box".

PostPosted: Today at 12:17    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3, 4  >
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation