ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3, 4  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-05-18, 19:16    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Gebako "alms box". I believe Komuso carried their official papers in these boxes as well. I found the box at Goodwill (second hand store) as well as the beautiful purple cord. Total cost I believe was less than a dollar. We already had the paint. First a primer then gloss black then hand painted white acrylic for the Kanji. Most Gebako that you see today for sale say Meian or "light and dark". For those interested I chose my "shakuhachi name" which means "mountain-air".

Last edited by Jon Kypros on 2012-05-18, 19:35; edited 1 time in total
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-05-18, 19:20    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

Juzu or Jyuzu AKA mala "Zen mala". I bought the beads from beadsandpieces.com, 10mm round bayong 120 beads shipped for under $12. I already had some acrylic white imitation pearl spacers and a "guru" bead or the larger bead at the bottom. The purple tassel was a Goodwill find as well and was a part of the purple cord used for the Gebako.
If you google "zne mala" you will get a diagram on how to make one.

Last edited by Jon Kypros on 2012-05-18, 19:37; edited 2 times in total
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-05-18, 19:23    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

The Kesa or Rakusu. This was made from Meiji period maru obi or "women's double-sided obi". It has a bamboo leaf pattern of course Wink
Not as fancy as standard Rakusu in construction, just a single piece sown to two straps with the tab.

The tab is free-moving

Last edited by Jon Kypros on 2012-05-18, 19:36; edited 3 times in total
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-05-18, 19:23    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by Jon Kypros on 2012-05-30, 02:03; edited 2 times in total
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-05-21, 04:05    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

Wow! That is fantastic! Now almost there!
Do you know about the patterns of the kesa?
Visit poster’s website Skype
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-05-21, 05:19    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

Kiku Day wrote:
Wow! That is fantastic! Now almost there!
Do you know about the patterns of the kesa?

Thank you Kiku! I'm not sure when or if I will get around to the Teko "gauntlets" which I think is the last thing. I did skip over the leg covers (do not know Japanese word). I notice that when women would travel on the road they would dawn these items. I'm not sure what the actual benefits of these items are.

Besides the bamboo pattern there are flowers. I used to know what type but I forgot. Maybe Kiku Wink

PostPosted: 2012-05-21, 20:31    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

Kudos for a job very well done!!! How about some close-ups of you in full Komuso regalia, shakuhachi in-hand?

IMHO, the teko (gauntlets) would be the cherry on top of all of your impressive efforts. Okay

Last edited by Jon Palombi on 2012-05-22, 07:14; edited 1 time in total
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-05-22, 02:49    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

Jon Palombi wrote:
Kudos for a job very well done!!! How about some close-ups of you in full Komuso regalia, shakuhachi in-hand?

IMHO, the kesa (gauntlets) would be the cherry on top of all of your impressive efforts. Okay

Thank you! I'm hoping to get out to some of the scenic spots to get some really nice photos soon and close-ups. I'll try and see about the teko too. I'm particular about things on my hands/wrists/arms!

PostPosted: 2012-05-22, 07:19    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

Jon Kypros wrote:
I'm hoping to get out to some of the scenic spots to get some really nice photos soon and close-ups. I'll try and see about the teko too. I'm particular about things on my hands/wrists/arms!

Understandably, these warm days might make one shun the idea of anything constricting around your writs and fingers... but come the ICY cool winds of winter, I would think many a Komuso would become eager to don a pair of teko. Okay
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-05-22, 18:00    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

Jon Palombi wrote:

Understandably, these warm days might make one shun the idea of anything constricting around your writs and fingers... but come the ICY cool winds of winter, I would think many a Komuso would become eager to don a pair of teko. Okay

I think I'll be sticking to cold weather use but not sure yet.

Thought I would share some info I found on these somewhat obscure items. Here's the Kanji 手甲 and romaji "tekko".

Japanese wikipedia on 手甲 http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/手甲

These seem to be most recognizable as "pilgrim" attire which includes the leg wrappings or Kyahan. They are called "walking pirlgrims" or aruki-henro or just henro.
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-05-27, 03:50    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

Here's a view of it all together. This kimono is not the Omeshi but rather a regular tsumugi dark navy which my friend gave to me. The Omeshi was too shiny and I'll use it for performing. There's a heat wave here right now and even this unlined Tsumugi was very hot so I'll be wearing a cotton yukata. I strongly recommend a Yukata or RO kimono (summer kimono) to anyone planning on playing in a kimono in the heat.

The tengai was a real life saver in the heat and kept me exceptionally cool in the full sun.

Last edited by Jon Kypros on 2012-05-30, 02:00; edited 3 times in total
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-05-27, 03:52    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

After playing for a while I realized the metal ring was too heavy and I switched from the padded rope to just foam as seen below tied in with raffia. The foam is great. The rope would become excruciating after a while sort of like wearing eyeglasses that are too heavy or press on the temples.

Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-05-30, 02:06    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

At 4000+ feet my Tengai passed the wind and altitude test Okay
The Tekkou (gauntlets) were aggravating so I decided to only wear "gloves" in winter.
"Holstering" my 1.5 in a bag on my obi belt was also cumbersome (in modern times komuso keep a short false-flute, i.e., a stick in a bag, on their obi with a long tassel for looks).
With that said it is extremely handy to be able to holster my 1.8 in the obi while taking breaks.

Next is trying to figure out how to make a false collar or "eri sugata" to catch sweat and keep it off the kimono.
Also, here's an excellent way to fold a kimono http://www.kimonoya-japan.net/page/2

Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-06-01, 00:00    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

In other news Monty Levenson's shakuhachi is featured in a really wonderful shakuhachi exhibit at The Musical Instrument Museum which has a life-size Komuso.

http://shakuhachi.com/J-MIM.html

PostPosted: 2012-06-03, 08:29    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat Reply with quote

beautiful, well done Jon!
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:18    Post subject: Putting a komuso outfit together and making a Tengai hat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3, 4  >
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation