ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
shawnhow

PostPosted: 2011-12-14, 12:11    Post subject: A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hello there

I'm Shawn How from Singapore. Recently read a book about using A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts, so I made a short video with shakuhachi playing. I just bought the shakuhachi from Mejiro Japan, in a small gesture of support for Japan after the March 11 disasters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpoCf851uNg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Any comments (whether good or bad) are welcome!!!

Thank you!
JF Lagrost
Administrator

PostPosted: 2011-12-14, 14:53    Post subject: A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts Reply with quote

Hi Shawn How ! Welcome on the Forum !
Nice sound for a few months of practice !
Visit poster’s website
shawnhow

PostPosted: 2011-12-14, 19:49    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you for your warm welcome, JF Lagrost.

Thanks for setting up this forum for shakuhachi enthusiasts worldwide! Really appreciate it!

I was initially thinking of buying a ji-nashi shakuhachi, but the weather in Singapore is extremely humid (around 80 percent!), so it might be difficult to prevent mold growing inside an un-lacquered shakuhachi bore. So, I just bought a "regular" ji-ari shakuhachi. Couldn't be happier with it. I've been playing it almost everyday.

Looking forward to learning from everyone in this forum.

Shawn
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2011-12-14, 22:26    Post subject: A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts Reply with quote

Hi Shawn

Yes very nice tone and control when thinking how recent shakuhachi playing is for you!!! And productive as well - I noticed! Smile
Looking forward for more! Okay

Jinashi shakuhachi doesn't just hold because it is jinashi. I have lived in very humid climates too but never had a problem. There are 2 main reasons for mould in jinashi shakuhachi:
1. It is a newly made shakuhachi and there is still moisture in the bamboo. The mould usually disappears when the moist has evaporated.
2. People are so scared of their instruments cracking that they keep it too moist and in an environment disabling it from breathing - which causes the mould.

Apart from that it sounds like you got a great instrument so congratulations with it! Okay
Visit poster’s website Skype
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2011-12-14, 22:46    Post subject: A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Shawn.......sounds good!

Could you explain the text which occurs in your video a bit more?

Jinashi does not necessarily mean fully un-lacquered. Usually there is one layer to protect the bore. It just means the bore has not been sculpted with lacquer. So do not fear the jinashi, it is your friend! Very Happy
shawnhow

PostPosted: 2011-12-15, 03:11    Post subject: Thank you for your warm welcome Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind comments, Tairaku Ritchie sinsei, and Dr Kiku Day! (*smile*)

Like both of you, I also love the longer shakuhachi. I have only collected one so far (bought it in May 2011 from Mejiro-Japan.com in a small gesture of support to Japan after the March 2011 disasters). Its RO is tuned to F. (I asked my 6 year old daughter to find the pitch on the piano for me as I played RO. haha) At first, I really regretted buying it because it is way too long for my short arms, but after using the piper's grip on it, and persisting to try playing for a few days, it became more and more playable. I love playing with this longer shakuhachi now. haha. LOL

Here's a video of me fooling around with my 3.1 length ji-ari shakuhachi, made by Chikuyu (the kanji characters "chiku" and "yu" of the hank at the back literally mean "bamboo" and "brave", which is the name of the master flute maker).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxF2djScML0

I'm currently a post-graduate student trying to write a thesis, so I'm trying to read more about A/r/tography just for pure personal interest, even though my focus is in music educational research, not in Musicology.

The source writings (which is where I read it) about this research methodology can be perused at:
http://books.google.com.sg/books?id=WJzD3Xbbg-cC&pg=PA42&dq=A/R/Tog…

I hope to learn from everyone in this community. (*smile*)

Shawn
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2011-12-15, 11:38    Post subject: A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts Reply with quote

Nice 3.1 is that the Chikuyu who sells flutes on Mejiro?

I tried to understand what A/R/Tography is and still don't but looks like it might be an academic way of describing the way things naturally happen during creative lifestyle.
Jarle Jivanmukta

PostPosted: 2011-12-15, 14:37    Post subject: A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts Reply with quote

Thanks for documenting and sharing, it is very inspiring to see/listen.
Please tell what software you use for making this videos, I might try to make a few myself.....
CharlesKoeppen

PostPosted: 2011-12-15, 17:29    Post subject: A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts Reply with quote

Shawn, that link that you posted about the A/R/Tography gave me a starting point, but I found the definition here: http://books.google.com.sg/books?id=srUCmBP98dEC&pg=PA84&dq=A/R/Tog…

It starts "A/R/Tography is a methodology the resides in the space of the in-between...". Not that I exactly understand it yet, but I think I see how it may relate well to shakuhachi. Nice work, I like the the visual element of the text in the video as well, and the playing is very listenable too. A good example of true artistry. Very profound...
Visit poster’s website
shawnhow

PostPosted: 2011-12-15, 18:20    Post subject: A/r/tography Reply with quote

Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
Nice 3.1 is that the Chikuyu who sells flutes on Mejiro?

I tried to understand what A/R/Tography is and still don't but looks like it might be an academic way of describing the way things naturally happen during creative lifestyle.

Tairaku Ritchie sin-sei, yes my 3.1 shakuhachi was indeed made by the same Master Chikuyu (kanji: bamboo brave) who sells his flutes in the Mejiro-Japan store.

Thank you, Tairaku Ritchie sin-sei! Your question about A/r/tography really set me thinking.

Allow me to venture an interpretation of A/r/tography, although I am not entirely sure about A/r/tography myself. (what?!!! haha. well yeah. I'd call this thinking with a 'beginner's mind'. haha)

I guess A/r/tography is just a set of research framework created by some academics (e.g., Springgay, Irwin, et al.) to guide the people who consider themselves 'artists' and their work 'art' to articulate it (in terms of the in-between spaces -- the processes involved in creating the art form, not just the final product that the audience only see) for other people who may not be familiar at all with that particular art form.

So, to me, if A/r/tography is applied to shakuhachi, it may mean that the academic research focus is purely on shakuhachi as a performance art. The other aspects such as religion or meditation may only be mentioned briefly, but are not the main focus of the artist when he or she is articulating about what the art form means, how the art form is created, or why certain things are done in a certain way in that art form, etc.

However, some people like me, may not even consider myself to be an 'artist' or me playing the shakuhachi as 'art'. Personally, I consider shakuhachi playing to be Zen meditation (something quite intimate and personal, something not intentionally played for public entertainment), and to me the honkyoku tune is like a koan, because it is very challenging to play the tune (to me anyway it is. haha). (Disclosure: I am a Christian, not officially a Buddhist. haha. But I do like Zen concepts. Very meaningful and profound.)

So, maybe for me, A/r/tography may not be the best research methodology for me to explore what it means to play the shakuhachi. Maybe some other research methodology such as 'Auto-ethnography' (self-study of oneself), or 'phenomenology' (the study of lived experiences) may be more suitable for someone like me.

Thanks for contributing to my thought process in sorting this out! I really needed it.

Everyone, thanks for being my "critical friends" (as they call it in 'Auto-ethnographic' terms). I really appreciate your interest in what I posted in this forum.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you in advance!

Somehow, this period between the last 2 weeks of December and January is my favorite time of the year. A little more free time to learn and play the shakuhachi. haha

Very happy to interact with you, and everyone in this forum. Happy holidays!

Last edited by shawnhow on 2011-12-15, 18:45; edited 4 times in total
shawnhow

PostPosted: 2011-12-15, 18:28    Post subject: A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts Reply with quote

Jarle Jivanmukta wrote:
Thanks for documenting and sharing, it is very inspiring to see/listen.
Please tell what software you use for making this videos, I might try to make a few myself.....

I used a Sony handicam mounted on a tripod to shoot the videos which are in HD. Sometimes, I just use the built-in web cam and the built-in microphone on my Macbook. The software used to edit the videos is the free iMovie that comes installed in every Mac. After adding the subtitles to the video in iMovie, I'd click in the menu bar in iMovie > Share > Upload to Youtube.

Happy making videos!
shawnhow

PostPosted: 2011-12-15, 18:35    Post subject: A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts Reply with quote

CharlesKoeppen wrote:
Shawn, that link that you posted about the A/R/Tography gave me a starting point, but I found the definition here: http://books.google.com.sg/books?id=srUCmBP98dEC&pg=PA84&dq=A/R/Tog…

It starts "A/R/Tography is a methodology the resides in the space of the in-between...". Not that I exactly understand it yet, but I think I see how it may relate well to shakuhachi. Nice work, I like the the visual element of the text in the video as well, and the playing is very listenable too. A good example of true artistry. Very profound...

Thanks for recommending this book at the link you posted "Handbook of the arts in qualitative research"

Yes, it is very useful to me. There are examples in the book. Always great to look at examples. haha. I'd try to see if there is an electronic copy in my university's e-library.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Koji Matsunobu

PostPosted: 2011-12-17, 14:54    Post subject: A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts Reply with quote

Hi Shawn

Peter Gouzoasis is a music education scholar practicing A/R/Tography at the University of British Columbia. A/R/Tography folks are mostly affiliated to UBC. I've heard Peter's presentation and his guitar performance through A/R/Tography. Not many music folks use it.

The book on A/R/Tography published by Rita Irwin and Alex de Cosson in 2004 includes some concrete works. But this one may not be available at your library as the publisher is a local, small one in Vancouver. I got a copy directly from Rita when I met her.

There will be a pre-conference focused on the arts at the next International Congress of Qualitative Research in May 2012 at the University of Illinois. There might be some A/R/Tography people joining the event.

It was a surprise to find a education related topic on this forum. Are you working with Chee Hoo? I wish I can join the CDIME conference next month. Good luck on your project!
Visit poster’s website
shawnhow

PostPosted: 2011-12-18, 03:36    Post subject: A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts Reply with quote

Koji Matsunobu wrote:
Hi Shawn

Peter Gouzoasis is a music education scholar practicing A/R/Tography at the University of British Columbia. A/R/Tography folks are mostly affiliated to UBC. I've heard Peter's presentation and his guitar performance through A/R/Tography. Not many music folks use it.

The book on A/R/Tography published by Rita Irwin and Alex de Cosson in 2004 includes some concrete works. But this one may not be available at your library as the publisher is a local, small one in Vancouver. I got a copy directly from Rita when I met her.

There will be a pre-conference focused on the arts at the next International Congress of Qualitative Research in May 2012 at the University of Illinois. There might be some A/R/Tography people joining the event.

It was a surprise to find a education related topic on this forum. Are you working with Chee Hoo? I wish I can join the CDIME conference next month. Good luck on your project!

Hello Dr Matsunobu

What an honor to "meet" you in cyberspace (do people still use this term nowadays?!). I actually cited 2 of your works in my literature review chapter in the thesis I am currently working on, and I have read your PhD dissertation. Your beautiful writings are an inspiration to me. (*smile*)

Actually I am a Monash University grad student who is currently located in Singapore. So, I do not have the opportunity yet to work with the nice folks (such as, Chee Hoo) in Singapore's NIE (National Institute of Education).

I have this book which mentioned about A/r/tography in one of its sections:

Qualitative Inquiry: Thematic, Narrative and Arts-Informed Perspectives, by Lynn Butler-Kisber.
http://books.google.com.sg/books?id=wZMd78-X0NcC&printsec=frontcover&am…

After reading more about A/r/tography, I realized that I'd better stick to some other methodology that may be more suitable for my thesis (such as Phenomenology, which my supervisor has agreed that I could use as a suitable research methodology that aligns nicely with my ontology and epistemology) .

Nice meeting you in cyberspace, Dr Matsunobu. I shall continue to read more of your papers in the future!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Shawn
(from sunny rainy humid Singapore)
Koji Matsunobu

PostPosted: 2011-12-18, 04:19    Post subject: A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts Reply with quote

Oops, another surprise!

I heard that Monash is a great place to study. There are some great scholars there.

I often visit/stop by Singapore. My next visit will be January 2012 (but it's going to be a brief stop).

Shawn, it's great to know about you. Feel free to send me email.

- Koji
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 17:33    Post subject: A/r/tography as research methodology of practice-based arts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation