ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Howdy from California!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Nathan

PostPosted: 2011-03-25, 04:17    Post subject: Howdy from California! Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hey there folks! Was a long time lurker on the old BBQ...so glad to see another outlet for fellow players/makers/teachers!

Like many perhaps, my first flute was made by Mr. Perry Yung. Not two weeks after receiving it, I was at my first
lesson with Mary Lu Brandwein (Kinko-ryu)...this was 2 1/2 years ago now! What can I say...I never expected this to
become a lifelong journey/obsession, but that's exactly what seems to be the case!

I've also tried my hand at making about 6 flutes...which really made me appreciate why good flutes can be so
expensive!

Anyhow...since the BBQ ended without my ever saying hello, I didn't want that to be the case again!

Cheers!

Nathan
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2011-03-25, 07:21    Post subject: Howdy from California! Reply with quote

Welcome Nathan! It's nice you posted this time!
I would really like to meet Mary Lu Bradwein one day. I didn't know she is in California... Next time I go... Smile
Are you learning the the kinko honkyoku repertoire? Or do you also play sankyoku?
Visit poster’s website Skype
Nathan

PostPosted: 2011-03-25, 18:00    Post subject: Howdy from California! Reply with quote

Thanks Kiku!

I feel so lucky to have Mary Lu as a teacher! We are primarily studying the Kinko Honkyoku with emphasis on the
Shakuhachi being a Dharma instrument. She very much stresses observation of thought and the awareness of
how exactly it affects the body. But I'm also learning Sankyoku...which I also love very much. Being a guitar player
for more than half my life I love accompaniment...can't wait to be able to play Haru no Umi, Rokudan or Chidori no Kyoku with
a Koto player! My wife for my birthday just got me a book of regional Minyo songs...so now I can play Kusatsu-bushi
from her hometown in Gunma! I really love all of it!!!

Yes! Next time you are here!
Gianni Pascuzzi

PostPosted: 2011-03-26, 20:47    Post subject: Howdy from California! Reply with quote

Can it be true? Another shakuhachi player in the OC ?! Shocked Very Happy

I take long distance lessons with Ronnie "Nyogetsu" Seldin (back and forth over the internet) and live in Orange, a few miles away from you, maybe we can get together sometime Nathan.

-- John
Visit poster’s website
Nathan

PostPosted: 2011-03-27, 00:06    Post subject: Howdy from California! Reply with quote

Hey John...hajimemashite! I've been living in San Diego, but the wifey and I are moving up to Costa Mesa this weekend. I work right
near Orange. You can PM me if you'd like...it'd be great to meet another local player!

Take care!

Nathan
Gianni Pascuzzi

PostPosted: 2011-03-27, 03:02    Post subject: Howdy from California! Reply with quote

Well then, welcome to the neighborhood! Now there's twice as many Shakuhachi players in the county than there were last week! Wink Will pm you a little later.
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 20:44    Post subject: Howdy from California!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation