ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Folded paper on the utaguchi

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Author Message
Derek Choice
Member

Offline

Joined: 25 Mar 2011
Posts: 43
Localisation: San Marcos, CA, USA

PostPosted: 2011-12-24, 02:54    Post subject: Folded paper on the utaguchi Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
There's a certain warm, soft, solid, wispless tone to some of the super-old, Edo era flutes I have played. Difficult to explain, but it's there.

Now, call me goofy, but I have found that folding a small piece of moistened paper over the utaguchi of a more modern/recent flute, especially the brighter ones, surprisingly gives a little bit of that old feel. To me, anyway. If anything, it's a quick and non-invasive way to mellow the personality of a flute, for a different kind of mood. The more folds, the mellower it gets, of course.

It's also a great way to quieten a flute a little, when the Mrs. is still asleep!

I.e.:



Back to top
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie
Moderator

Offline

Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Posts: 635
Localisation: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

PostPosted: 2011-12-24, 04:08    Post subject: Folded paper on the utaguchi Reply with quote

"Instant Edo". Okay
Back to top
Derek Choice
Member

Offline

Joined: 25 Mar 2011
Posts: 43
Localisation: San Marcos, CA, USA

PostPosted: 2011-12-24, 07:56    Post subject: Folded paper on the utaguchi Reply with quote

Yeah! Who has a couple hundred years to wait for the bamboo to season correctly?

More likely, that superficial, monumental paper discovery came to me while looking for a tiny little piece of madake to make a pocket shakuhachi with, a la the Ryudo. What a neat little flute! Surprising how loud the little ones are--I have a 1.1 nobe that barks the dogs. Or, maybe it's just my playing? They can't say.

:/
Back to top
Visit poster’s website
Perry Yung
Professional Member

Offline

Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 346
Localisation: New York City, UWS

PostPosted: 2011-12-24, 14:33    Post subject: Re: Folded paper on the utaguchi Reply with quote

Derek Choice wrote:
There's a certain warm, soft, solid, wispless tone to some of the super-old, Edo era flutes I have played. Difficult to explain, but it's there.

Now, call me goofy, but I have found that folding a small piece of moistened paper over the utaguchi of a more modern/recent flute, especially the brighter ones, surprisingly gives a little bit of that old feel. To me, anyway. If anything, it's a quick and non-invasive way to mellow the personality of a flute, for a different kind of mood. The more folds, the mellower it gets, of course.



I guess it's not difficult to explain anymore ! Wink

Many old flutes have worn utaguchi blowing edges which causes a diffused, or dampened quality in sound. A higher blowing edge can also produce a similar feeling or tone color. An utaguchi cut like this one can play wonderfully well. This one has a brighter tone because it's sharp, but more intimate because it high.



I am always reminded of how similar the processes of making and playing shakuhachi are. There's always something new to discover.

Happy present opening!
- Perry
_________________
"A hot Dog is not an animal" - Jet Yung
Blog on shakuhachi, art and parenting - www.yungflutes.com
Back to top
Visit poster’s website
Derek Choice
Member

Offline

Joined: 25 Mar 2011
Posts: 43
Localisation: San Marcos, CA, USA

PostPosted: 2011-12-24, 20:23    Post subject: Folded paper on the utaguchi Reply with quote

Perry Yung wrote:


Many old flutes have worn utaguchi blowing edges which causes a diffused, or dampened quality in sound. A higher blowing edge can also produce a similar feeling or tone color. An utaguchi cut like this one can play wonderfully well. This one has a brighter tone because it's sharp, but more intimate because it high.

- Perry


That's a good point, Perry. A lot of the old flutes do have a much shallower notch, and some none at all, giving that intimate feel. A lot of things working together, I suppose.

Happy Festivus to all!!
Back to top
Visit poster’s website
Christian
Member

Offline

Joined: 02 Oct 2016
Posts: 11

PostPosted: 2017-05-12, 16:59    Post subject: Folded paper on the utaguchi Reply with quote

Derek Choice wrote:


That's a good point, Perry. A lot of the old flutes do have a much shallower notch, and some none at all, giving that intimate feel. A lot of things working together, I suppose.

Happy Festivus to all!!


I have an old flute from Perry which has the shallowest notch I have seen, it is my favourite late night/relaxation instrument, produces a wonderful & soothing sound -




Back to top
Contenu Sponsorisé






PostPosted: Today at 13:53    Post subject: Folded paper on the utaguchi

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2017 phpBB Group