ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Museum
Previous topic :: Next topic  
x moran

PostPosted: 2012-01-14, 02:11    Post subject: Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Perry Yung wrote:
For example, the 2.7 was really fat and the back needed to be brought in so that his embouchure could have closer contact with the utaguchi. Until this was done, one of the owners could hardly make a sound.

I've had a couple of flutes like that go through my hands for precisely the same reason. They were very fat and would have required a lot of work.

I should have sent them to you.

I would probably have the same issues with most Kyotaku, too.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-01-14, 21:57    Post subject: Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures Reply with quote

Hans, sure you make yourself very understandable. And in a good way.
But I think the heart of jinashi is also a soft breath and the tendency today is what can happen - also to Kyotaku.
So, as I said in a way you are right that a jinashi may play more like a jinuri is you thin of the new trend.... but because there are so many different types of jinashi you cannot in one word say kyotaku needs a soft open breath while jinashi is like jinuri.... that is too narrow. But yes with this discussion I think we have opened up for the understanding of how individual each jinashi and each kyotaku is... so cool stuff!
Visit poster’s website Skype
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-01-15, 00:10    Post subject: Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures Reply with quote

x moran wrote:
Perry Yung wrote:
For example, the 2.7 was really fat and the back needed to be brought in so that his embouchure could have closer contact with the utaguchi. Until this was done, one of the owners could hardly make a sound.

I've had a couple of flutes like that go through my hands for precisely the same reason. They were very fat and would have required a lot of work.

I should have sent them to you.

I would probably have the same issues with most Kyotaku, too.

Hi Chris, Sometimes it doesn't require very much work.

Just a slight dip in the back top of the flute will bring the alveolar process (where the sockets of the bottom row of teeth form) closer in, thus facilitating a more functional connection with the embouchure and utaguchi.

I call this the Butterfly style chin rest. Of course, the proper angles at the top should be maintained.
Visit poster’s website
Bas Nijenhuis

PostPosted: 2012-01-20, 14:16    Post subject: Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures Reply with quote

Kiku, you stated that the Kyotaku you have played are different then some other Jinashi type flutes of other makers, can you explain in what way?
I have one kyotaku so my experience is limited in the comparing side.

Bas
Visit poster’s website
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-01-20, 20:43    Post subject: Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures Reply with quote

HI Bas

I don't think kyotaku plays differently to other jinashi flutes - at least not in a systematic way.
What I meant was that the 3 makers' kyotaku are quite different from each other.
Smile
Bas Nijenhuis

PostPosted: 2012-01-21, 00:33    Post subject: Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures Reply with quote

ah okay, thanks!
Visit poster’s website
sanjiva

PostPosted: 2012-09-09, 01:01    Post subject: Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures Reply with quote

i got this scores about 20 years ago from a student of Koku. i spent a lot of time with Agar over the years and also Tilo. i was in india and i met a lot of student of Koku. I had the honor to spend an evening with his son, playing together. i learned in a very no-mind way to make simple kuotaku (out of rootless indian bamboo) Agar never talked... for me it was also part of the Kyotaku approach, just watch and be present... playing also, breath out and watch!

sanjiva

PostPosted: 2012-09-09, 02:17    Post subject: Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures Reply with quote

sorry for the bad quality, it is a 20 years old photocopy!

sanjiva

PostPosted: 2012-09-09, 02:20    Post subject: Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures Reply with quote

Last edited by sanjiva on 2012-09-09, 13:10; edited 1 time in total
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-09-09, 08:08    Post subject: Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures Reply with quote

Hi sanjiva

Where is this fingering chart from? Also something you got while in Puna?
Beautiful chart!
sanjiva

PostPosted: 2012-09-09, 13:13    Post subject: Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures Reply with quote

Hi Kiku

yes, i got the fingering chart in Puna also.
david

PostPosted: 2012-09-28, 13:52    Post subject: Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures Reply with quote

A while back, I was emailing someone in (I think) Denmark (I unfortunately forget who I was emailing) who was in a kyotaku circle up there. They said that they're approach to suizen is more 'breathing' zen, than 'blowing' zen. I found that so interesting and I still try and incorporate this into my playing at all times.

PostPosted: 2012-09-30, 17:05    Post subject: Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures Reply with quote

Hi David

If it was in Denmark, it can only have been the circle around Anders Nordin.
You can find the website here: http://kyotaku.dk
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:17    Post subject: Nishimura Koku - Kyotaku pictures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Museum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation