ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pierre Henry "Paroxysms"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-01-10, 10:07    Post subject: Pierre Henry "Paroxysms" Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
If you can be in Hobart on Sunday..........or if you can't.

Composer/pioneer of musique concrete will be unveiling a major new composition "Paroxysms" via live streaming on Sunday Jan. 15 in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.

He uses a Taimu improvisation by me as the basis of the work.

This is a big deal! Shocked

This link (I believe) allows you to stream the performance. http://www.medici.tv/#!/pierre-henry

Ciao BR
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-01-10, 17:15    Post subject: Pierre Henry "Paroxysms" Reply with quote

Hey Brian,
Sounds exciting. What time would this be on in Eastern Standard Time?
- Perry
Visit poster’s website
Johnny Filter

PostPosted: 2012-01-15, 15:24    Post subject: Pierre Henry "Paroxysms" Reply with quote

Pierre Henry blends Brian Ritchie's Taimu improvisation into his new composition Paroxysms

Kohl Sudduth

PostPosted: 2012-01-15, 15:45    Post subject: Pierre Henry "Paroxysms" Reply with quote

Wow...What an incredible sonic/visual portrait. Very intimate, very sensual. Like being invited inside the mind of a great artist; offering the chance to just live in there for a while. Pierre Henry is a very pure presence on camera. Tairaku's Taimu playing is a crystal clear manifestation of the reality that the shakuhachi, when played with the right heart, can express the very deepest parts of human consciousness. The film's director makes achingly exquisite use of the slow pan. I personally love the slow pan. What a patient and trusting film. Thanks for sharing this Brian. Wonderful playing. It's like receiving a nourishing meal. Listening and watching this is a fine way to wake up on a Sunday morning.
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-01-15, 16:51    Post subject: Pierre Henry "Paroxysms" Reply with quote

The amazing thing is that he was doing the mix live during the performance to 21 different speakers in the big room.
Kohl Sudduth

PostPosted: 2012-01-15, 20:00    Post subject: Pierre Henry "Paroxysms" Reply with quote

Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
The amazing thing is that he was doing the mix live during the performance to 21 different speakers in the big room.

That is so awesome. He was clearly authentic--not 'performing' for the camera (very hard to do in my experience). It's because he was actually doing it. Cool. What a great happening.

Last edited by Kohl Sudduth on 2012-01-15, 23:54; edited 1 time in total
Visit poster’s website
CharlesKoeppen

PostPosted: 2012-01-15, 20:27    Post subject: Pierre Henry "Paroxysms" Reply with quote

Is there any way we can see this even though we missed it live?

I've spent the entire morning listening to his works on Youtube, simply amazing. Not only is he one of the original musique concrete artists from the 50's and 60's, it appears that he set the foundation for electronica musicians with something he labeled psyche rock. The current Futurama theme is a remake of his work from the 60's, suggesting that he was way ahead of his time, and he brought his vision to the world before the technology existed in a manner as accessible as today (then the artists had to manually cut, edit, and loop tapes). One of my favorites from the psyche rock genre is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L7MrPMe9g8 but he has created a very large and diverse set of works.

Thank you, Brian, for bringing his work to the attention of so many more people.
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-01-15, 23:36    Post subject: Pierre Henry "Paroxysms" Reply with quote

I'm not sure if they have an archived version on Medici. Maybe check for that. Otherwise it is certain that there will be a CD release.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-01-16, 15:25    Post subject: Pierre Henry "Paroxysms" Reply with quote

Wow! Congratulations, Tairaku! That IS a f... BIG DEAL ! ! ! ! Pierre Henry mixing your improv on taimu! And cool for taimu as well ! ! !
You must be the coolest shakuhachi player right now with THAT added to your curriculum! Okay Okay Okay
Visit poster’s website Skype
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-01-16, 16:10    Post subject: Pierre Henry "Paroxysms" Reply with quote

Kiku Day wrote:
Wow! Congratulations, Tairaku! That IS a f... BIG DEAL ! ! ! ! Pierre Henry mixing your improv on taimu! And cool for taimu as well ! ! !
You must be the coolest shakuhachi player right now with THAT added to your curriculum! Okay Okay Okay

In my book, Brian was already the coolest long ago. Ken too, with his seaweed tube shakuhachi. Okay
Visit poster’s website
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-01-16, 16:20    Post subject: Pierre Henry "Paroxysms" Reply with quote

I know.... but sometimes when I get inflated I think I am cool too - no just joking and a bad joke Bannir (I just really wanted to use this sign)
You are right Those two have been cool for a long time.... you are pretty cool too! Mr. Green
Visit poster’s website Skype
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-01-16, 17:27    Post subject: Pierre Henry "Paroxysms" Reply with quote

Kiku Day wrote:
I know.... but sometimes when I get inflated I think I am cool too - no just joking and a bad joke Bannir (I just really wanted to use this sign)
You are right Those two have been cool for a long time.... you are pretty cool too! Mr. Green

Anyone who plays the shakuhachi is cool. GROUP HUG!
Visit poster’s website
JF Lagrost
Administrator

PostPosted: 2012-01-17, 14:17    Post subject: Pierre Henry "Paroxysms" Reply with quote

Here's a little article in French on Le Monde's website : http://www.lemonde.fr/culture/article/2012/01/16/dans-l-antre-de-pierre-hen…

Concert visible for free for 90 days here : http://fr.medici.tv/#!/event-pierre-henry-paroxysms (copy and paste the link if it doesn't work)
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 14:03    Post subject: Pierre Henry "Paroxysms"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation