ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning the shakuhachi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
dyims

PostPosted: 2012-02-08, 10:19    Post subject: Cleaning the shakuhachi Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hi,

I am new to the Shakuhachi. I want to know how I can properly clean the interior of a shakuhachi? Can I use a cleaning rod from the western concert flute, or is it too rough for the surface of the bamboo? Do you recommend me to buy the cleaning cloth with a string attached and not used the western cleaning method (cleaning rod with a cloth attached)? I have been using that method for some time but I don't know if it will do harm to the shakuhachi interior.
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-02-08, 10:32    Post subject: Cleaning the shakuhachi Reply with quote

You can make your own cleaning cloth from a handkerchief, a piece of string and a weight of some sort. Do not use a rod as it may damage the bamboo and/or the lacquer inside the bore.
Jam

PostPosted: 2012-02-09, 01:47    Post subject: Cleaning the shakuhachi Reply with quote

And also, when you pull the cloth through the flute, be careful not to damage the utaguchi...
dyims

PostPosted: 2012-02-09, 02:12    Post subject: Cleaning the shakuhachi Reply with quote

Noooooooo! I have used the cleaning rod method on my shakuhachi a few times already! Well, I won't be doing that anymore. Assuming that I have damaged the interior by scratching the lacquer inside, will this alter the sound a little in any way? I love my shakuhachi, and it hurts so much that I may have damaged it already with my stupid hands Sad
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-02-09, 15:58    Post subject: Cleaning the shakuhachi Reply with quote

Dyims, I am sure you would have heard it if the rod was scratching against the inner walls of your shakuhachi... so I wouldn't worry so much.
When you do make the cleaning cloth as Brian advised, make sure to hold your thumb on the utaguchi when pulling the cloth through the flute. Then you will also follow Jam's advice on minding the utaguchi.
Good luck with the shakuhachi adventure! Okay
Visit poster’s website Skype
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-02-09, 23:39    Post subject: Cleaning the shakuhachi Reply with quote

Dyims, you probably didn't damage anything, so unless you see damage when you look in the bore don't worry about it. Only if you did it over a long period of time would you cause problems.
Kyle Kamal Helou

PostPosted: 2012-02-24, 22:28    Post subject: Cleaning the shakuhachi Reply with quote

I have a YouTube video on how to care for your shakuhachi. Just go to YouTube and type in my full name and it should come up on my channel: Kyle Kamal Helou. Sorry I can't send the direct link as I am using the new iPod app. Let me know how that goes!
Wishing you all the best on this journey.
Kyle.
Visit poster’s website Skype
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 13:52    Post subject: Cleaning the shakuhachi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation