ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hand written music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Yuusui

PostPosted: 2012-02-28, 22:28    Post subject: Hand written music Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I just received this old piece of hand written sheet music. Four short pieces. Thought I would share. Anybody better versed in Japanese want to translate it?

Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-03-01, 10:12    Post subject: Hand written music Reply with quote

Read from right to left:

Zokkyoku onpu = folk tune/ballad music notation (Zokkyoku is a term used for short songs often accompanied by shamisen and played in drinking places). It is interesting the term zokkyoku is used. TOday you will probably write min'yō (folk song). Zokkyoku translated literally means vulgar piece (of music) - which was the attitude towards some folk song such as these usually played at bars and entertainment places.

Next is the title of songs (which is the same as written before each song in the score):
Beniya no musume = The beniya's daughter (Beniya a shop selling...? beni is a crimson red colour made from a plant but I don't know if it is that product they sell or it is just the name of the shop)
Tokyo kōshinkyoku = Tokyo march
Naniwa kobushi = I would translate this as "song from Naniwa" (old name for the area around Osaka). Kobushi does also mean the particular type of embellishment in the voice used in folk song.
Shin Iso bushi = New song from Iso. Iso is the area around today's Ibaraki.

Nice score! Thanks for sharing!!!

Last edited by Kiku Day on 2012-03-01, 19:12; edited 1 time in total
Visit poster’s website Skype
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-03-01, 12:37    Post subject: Hand written music Reply with quote

Zokkyoku is my new favourite word.
Yuusui

PostPosted: 2012-03-01, 14:07    Post subject: Hand written music Reply with quote

Awesome. Thank you.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-03-01, 15:47    Post subject: Hand written music Reply with quote

Welcome! Glad I could help.

Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
Zokkyoku is my new favourite word.

In older writings on music (from the Edo period for example) you see zokugaku vs gagaku, so the vulgar music of the mob/rabble... or just the people vs elegant music (gagaku - the court music)
In kanji this looks like this: 俗楽 ー 雅楽

Fun stuff to read!
Visit poster’s website Skype
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-03-02, 02:53    Post subject: Hand written music Reply with quote

I think I have spent most of my life playing Zokkyoku without even realising it.
x moran

PostPosted: 2012-03-04, 05:06    Post subject: Hand written music Reply with quote

Kiku Day wrote:

... vulgar music of the mob/rabble

Yes, Brian I think you have finally found it.
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-03-05, 04:27    Post subject: Hand written music Reply with quote

So you've got the title of your next cd, Brian! Very Happy With the bottle of Bombay Sapphire on the cover... Looking forward to it!
Jon Palombi

PostPosted: 2012-03-06, 21:24    Post subject: Hand written music Reply with quote

I'll drink to that! Cheers all. Okay

PostPosted: Today at 17:24    Post subject: Hand written music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation