ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my first real performance gig! Any words of wisdom?
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-05-11, 08:15    Post subject: Got my first real performance gig! Any words of wisdom? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I have sometimes - depending on mics and the room/environment chosen to place the mic around mid-way of the shakuhachi. So neither at the root end nor at the top. Many sound engineers want to place the mic at the root end because they are used to that from sax, clarinet etc. But I find that hopeless for a shakuhachi. Too much valuable sound coming out at the top. I always place the mic slightly to one side so the air doesn't hit the mic - and remember air is coming out of all the holes... Smile

Last edited by Kiku Day on 2012-05-11, 10:59; edited 1 time in total
Visit poster’s website Skype
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2012-05-11, 09:33    Post subject: Got my first real performance gig! Any words of wisdom? Reply with quote

I have seen some backpipe players in a rock band bound a mic at their left arm. The mics where from headsets.
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-05-11, 14:06    Post subject: Got my first real performance gig! Any words of wisdom? Reply with quote

Condensor mics are the best in terms of actual sound but they pick up too much ambient noise in certain settings. If you're using a dynamic mic, which will usually be the case at this kind of gig, you should put the mic near the mouthpiece. It picks up the most sound and you can control the dynamics by proximity.
chuck56

PostPosted: 2012-05-12, 18:28    Post subject: Got my first real performance gig! Any words of wisdom? Reply with quote

Brian and Kiku and others thanks for the advice! I try to keep challenging my self to push my limits and try grow. This kind of dialog is wonderful!!!

Now that I've gotten past this performance there's 2 new pieces of music I've wanted to start throwing my self at. On my 2.4 it's eko and on my 1.8 IchoJo. Shocked Eko seems like is simple enough but still plenty of growth over time.

As for IchiJo, it will push my speed and dexterity a LOT! Very Happy I've got Yoshinobu Taniguchi's big book of hand written sheet music and started work on both pieces, REALLY fun!

Live the moment, be kind and be your self!
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:21    Post subject: Got my first real performance gig! Any words of wisdom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation