ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WSF12 is coming up soon!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-05-10, 06:30    Post subject: WSF12 is coming up soon! Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Warming up for Kyoto!!!
Practicing, thinking about what to participate in, which concerts to attend...... exciting! Okay

Simura Satosi has organised quite a few jinashi events, which I (with my personal interest in jinashi) am looking very much forward to attend (in fact I will be the translator).

3 June at 14:00 - 16:00 there will be an event where people can come and play on famous and exceptionally well-crafted antique shakuhachi from the Hamamatsu Museum collection.

3 June at 16:30 there will be a round table discussion: Summit on antique shakuhachi and jinashi shakuhachi.

4 June 11:00 - 12:30 there will be some sort of introduction and explanation about the concert and a concert played on these antique masterpieces: Concert played on antique shakuhachi: Let the sounds of the extraordinarily well crafted and famous antique shakuhachi soothe your soul.

4 June 17:00 - 18:00 Special Lecture: Historical changes in shakuhachi design and construction and its music: The shakuhachi past, present, and future: The joy of discovering the spiritual world of jinashi shakuhachi by Yoshikawa Shigeru, lecturer in arts engineering (directly translated) at Kyushu University.

Simura is hoping this will be the groundbreaking year for jinashi shakuhachi awareness.... let's see! Smile I am anyhow looking forward to it and to the whole festival and to see you guys there! Okay Okay

Last edited by Kiku Day on 2012-05-10, 20:17; edited 1 time in total
Visit poster’s website Skype
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-05-10, 09:30    Post subject: WSF12 is coming up soon! Reply with quote

Am I going to this festival? Question

Are the anti-jinashi heretics going to be allowed to rebut your propaganda? Twisted Evil

Is the round table discussion going to allow gaijin to speak or do we have our own discussion in the hallway? Wink
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-05-10, 09:43    Post subject: WSF12 is coming up soon! Reply with quote

Am I going to this festival? Question [/quote]

I don't know, Tairaku.... I hope so. It is just an event within WSF12.
Just to clarify: so far there have been no jinuri ban. Laughing Remember the main organisers are jinuri players!

Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
Are the anti-jinashi heretics going to be allowed to rebut your propaganda? Twisted Evil

Eehhhhh.... if they feel the need for it. I am just telling the forum a section of what is going on at the festival. Simura is a respected player and researcher.... he might be worth listening to and it might be fun to try these extraordinary flutes. I have tried a few of them and if you happen to have had the opinion that old flutes were crap... that opinion will disappear like dew in sunshine Shocked Smile

Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
Is the round table discussion going to allow gaijin to speak or do we have our own discussion in the hallway? Wink

Gaijins are very welcome and I think the organisers hope that gaijins will come AND participate. That is why I sit somewhere in between to translate. If the round table discussion was only to happen among the Japanese, there is no reason for me to be translator. They can take care of it themselves. So if gaijins come, I believe there will be translations both ways.

The old special flutes! They are really something! So even if you don't give a damn about jinashi shakuhachi, coming to the sessions where you can try these antique flutes out could potentially be really interesting for anyone interested in shakuhachi.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-05-10, 11:21    Post subject: WSF12 is coming up soon! Reply with quote

It is a bit embarrassing that a moderator places a post in the wrong forum.... but what started as a post where I just wanted to say I am looking forward for WSF12 became more of an announcement of Simura's jinashi plans. So I have moved it to the Kiosk myself. Sorry about that guys! Embarassed
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-05-10, 18:43    Post subject: WSF12 is coming up soon! Reply with quote

That is very exciting, Kiku!... Particularly being able to actually try them!... I thought the whole antique flute "thing" was snobbish (I practice the "play whatever is in your hands" approach), and then I was lucky to score a couple of really beautiful old flutes that Perry restored for me... and now I get it! They definitely have a special quality and purity of tone that I've never experienced in thirty years plus of playing the instrument.
I look forward to that!
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-05-16, 08:21    Post subject: WSF12 is coming up soon! Reply with quote

COMING UP SOON:

James Nyoraku Schlefer
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-05-21, 16:11    Post subject: WSF12 is coming up soon! Reply with quote

I too am practicing a lot for the festival and looking forward to hearing so many players and so many different styles. For those of you coming, please come to my 30 minute concert on June 1 at 7:30. I will play two original pieces, "Moonwalking" for bass koto and shakuhachi, and "Sankyoku No. 1" for shakuhachi, koto and cello. Kayoko Yokoyama, bass koto; Yoko Reikano Kimura, koto; Hikaru Tamaki, cello, are honoring me with the playing. I'm looking forward to seeing friends and meeting new people!
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 19:26    Post subject: WSF12 is coming up soon!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation