ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some comments on anonymous posting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  
chuck56

PostPosted: 2012-05-24, 18:53    Post subject: Some comments on anonymous posting Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Just a bit of observation and a comment.

So here’s a scenario; if some shakuhachi players agreed to meet someplace in the real world like: the World Shakuhachi Festival, a monthly Meetup.com group event, or an instructional camp, it would be assumed that as part of that gathering the players would meet and greet each other.  If someone showed up and would not give their name or any information about them self when asked, it would feel quite wrong. I would feel uncomfortable with that person. Rolling Eyes

I’ve recently had some private messages from a member of the ESS Shakuhachi Forum. That person provided me with advice on my playing and I am grateful for that. Several of their suggestions I took to heart and I think they will help my playing. Okay

Yet when I asked this person who they are because their ID and profile says almost nothing about them, they would not provide any info about them self. Again, I feel a bit uncomfortable with this person.

As a counter point, my ID is not my full name but I do sign my posts with my real name and a bit of info about myself.  Having an ID with your full name would be akin to wearing a name tag when you’d show up for an event in the real world. I think a name tag is not a necessity but being open about whom you are is normal and expected in the real world and should be here in the forum also.

Live the moment, be kind and be your self!
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-05-25, 03:14    Post subject: Some comments on anonymous posting Reply with quote

Hi Chuck,

If you go to "Read First" the number 1 rule is:

"FORUM RULES

1. ESS does not recommend Anonymous Registration ! Registering under your REAL NAME gives your posts and the Forum more credibility!"

While we do not enforce this, the rule exists so that if someone abuses it we can delete their profile and/or warn them.

It's up to you whether the person is making you uncomfortable. You can deal with it directly but if there's something abusive feel free to report it to an administrator or moderator and we'll decide what to do.

Thus far we have not had too many problems.
chuck56

PostPosted: 2012-05-25, 05:12    Post subject: Some comments on anonymous posting Reply with quote

Hello Brain,

Thanks for your reply. I think the person had a good intent in making their message to me, it just seemed so anti social to cloak them self even when asked for more info. One thing I've really liked about the shakuhachi community is the friendliness and comradery.

I'm not looking to start an issue or make a big situation of it. I'm assuming they will see this post and that should be fine.

Again, thanks for posting your reply to my message Brian.

Live the moment, be kind and be your self!
JF Lagrost
Administrator

PostPosted: 2012-05-25, 10:05    Post subject: Some comments on anonymous posting Reply with quote

Hi Chuck,

I would also prefer that people post under their real names, but there is a culture of anonymity on the Internet against which it is difficult to fight. As administrators, Christian and I have access to other informations such as email addresses, therefore members are less anonymous to us ... We don't absolutely ask that people use their real name as ID, it is only a recommendation, but we do not validate the new registrations if we have a doubt or a lack of information on a member.

If you click on "Memberlist", choose "Joined date" as Sort method and "descending" as order, you'll see that some accounts are "inactive", that mean Christian and I decided not to activate this member, because of lack of information, spam in signature, commercial website unrelated to the shakuhachi... That makes quite a lot of people, maybe some of them are not spammers and just wanted to participate, but I think if they don't follow the rules at the time of registration, it's not a good sign for the quality of their posts in the future...

Since we proceed in this way, as Brian said, we have almost no problem on the forum. And after a little over one year of existance, I think the atmosphere here is good and posts are of good quality... Thanks to people like you Okay
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-05-26, 10:06    Post subject: Some comments on anonymous posting Reply with quote

JF Lagrost wrote:

Since we proceed in this way, as Brian said, we have almost no problem on the forum.

Thanks JF and Christian for being such good gatekeepers. Okay
CharlesKoeppen

PostPosted: 2012-05-26, 16:10    Post subject: Some comments on anonymous posting Reply with quote

chuck56 wrote:
Just a bit of observation and a comment.

I’ve recently had some private messages from a member of the ESS Shakuhachi Forum. That person provided me with advice on my playing and I am grateful for that. Several of their suggestions I took to heart and I think they will help my playing. Okay

Yet when I asked this person who they are because their ID and profile says almost nothing about them, they would not provide any info about them self. Again, I feel a bit uncomfortable with this person.

I kind of wish they posted to the forum, I would have liked to have seen those tips as I have problems with headshake vibrato too. In fact, that thread got me practicing it too much again...
Visit poster’s website
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-05-31, 17:28    Post subject: Some comments on anonymous posting Reply with quote

I am sad to hear that people send pm's under synonyms and being unwilling to give more information. Sad
We have had an incident once before... I do hope this will not become a tendency. And for everybody: Do let us know if something uncomfortable comes up.

Yes indeed, thanks to Jean-François and Christian for doing such a great job !!! Okay Okay Okay
Visit poster’s website Skype
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 20:45    Post subject: Some comments on anonymous posting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation