ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviews of WSF 2012
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  
x moran

PostPosted: 2012-06-12, 21:32    Post subject: Reviews of WSF 2012 Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Perry Yung wrote:
I heard this was one reason why Jimi Hendrix set his strat on fire at Woodstock.

Don't give Brian or Pepe any ideas, now, Perry.
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-06-14, 13:58    Post subject: Reviews of WSF 2012 Reply with quote

x moran wrote:
Perry Yung wrote:
I heard this was one reason why Jimi Hendrix set his strat on fire at Woodstock.

Don't give Brian or Pepe any ideas, now, Perry.

That idea is free to anyone who wants to spice up their shakuhachi energy on stage Wink
Visit poster’s website
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-06-14, 17:07    Post subject: Reviews of WSF 2012 Reply with quote

I rather do it Elvis's way... just the right movement of the hips is all the fireworks he needed Cool
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-06-15, 08:00    Post subject: Reviews of WSF 2012 Reply with quote

And.... I rather see Pepe do the right movements of his hips - than seeing him burn a shakuhachi.
The former will surely spice up MY energy more than the latter! Embarassed Smile Okay Embarassed Smile Okay
Visit poster’s website Skype
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-06-15, 10:35    Post subject: Reviews of WSF 2012 Reply with quote

Yes Pepe was the Elvis of WSF '12 I have heard from numerous sources.
x moran

PostPosted: 2012-06-15, 23:05    Post subject: Reviews of WSF 2012 Reply with quote

Brian could always be the Pete Townsend of the Shakuhachi.
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-06-16, 02:14    Post subject: Reviews of WSF 2012 Reply with quote

Well... as I experienced in Kyoto... the Brian Ritchie of Shakuhachi is a legend in itself...
Too grounded for Pete Townsend... if anything maybe Roger Waters Very Happy
I'll keep my hips in shape for Prague, Kiku!
Daniel Ryudo
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-06-16, 04:32    Post subject: Reviews of WSF 2012 Reply with quote

I think that Brian wants to be the Dave Davies of the shakuhachi, though perhaps he's more like the Robin Trower or the Ry Cooder of the instrument. I would say the Robert Fripp, but master though he is, he usually just sits in a chair, and Brian doesn't sit down. And I liked Pepe's drumming at Zac Baran's more than that of Nick Mason's. It was good meeting various people whom I'd only known from the Net, as well as meeting up with old friends and making new friends at the Kyoto Intl Shakuhachi Festival. There was too much going on to take it all in, and I probably spent too much time trying out shakuhachis in the big common room and missed some good performances or workshops. I regret not being able to attend the Rocky Camp as that looked like it was a really good learning event with a great enkai.

I do agree with Pepe that it was sometimes hard to find the venues, and I've dropped in on Kyoto about once every year for the last couple of decades! The concerts were too long; it would have been nice to have had an occasional break in there somewhere, but I think that's the Japanese way; my iemoto has concerts that are even longer, from 10:00 in the morning to 9:00 at night. Honkyoku, and Myoan style in particular, seemed to be prominent in the event, again, good, as each festival has stressed different things. The festival seemed very democratic in that it seems that everyone who wanted to play got to perform. The best sound was at the Masters' concert, and just for myself, Riley Lee's Ryuhei and Teruo Furuya's Sugomori piece, and Seizan Sakata's Takumi were some of the pieces I very much enjoyed there. I would have liked to have seen some information in the program on each of the master players. I've been playing the shakuhachi for a few years but I didn't know who some of the players were and I can imagine someone who's just started the instrument would probably have appreciated a little info, a photo, a blurb or something, but there were a lot of masters. There didn't seem to be as many koto or shamisen players as there have been at previous festivals but it made me appreciate the koto or shamisen playing even more when it did happen; I really was impressed with the shamisen playing of Gosami Kineya on a piece called Meikyo at the Master's concert. I regret that I didn't play in a large group piece, as I have done at past festivals; I should have joined in the Yokoyama Katsuya Memorial Concert, which was a powerful and emotion producing group of pieces and one of the highlights for me. Yokoyama was, of course, a prime mover in getting the ball rolling for the whole intl shakuhachi festival thing from the beginning. And now it's roling and rolling, now on to Prague and then to China. It was great that Kurahashi sensei arranged the festival at the same time as the 114th annual Myoan event at Myoan-ji so that participants could have the experience of joining in or attending that memorable event. A definite highlight for me was Brian, Pepe, and Ty's show at Zac Baran's on the Saturday night; great playing and an exciting event; it was fun jumping into their jazz piece for a few moments along with Jeff Cairns and Chris Blasdel. I'd like to see some kind of an improvisation space at the next festival and an open mike show as well (yes, these are requests!) It was also good trying out different flutes and talking to various flute makers; I was sorely tempted but did not buy anything bamboo. All in all an overwhelmingly positive experience. My main complaint was that it was too short! My fault, as I wasn't able to be there for the first few days. Thanks to Kurahashi sensei for taking on the responsibility for putting it on in Japan, definitely not an easy task. I'm looking forward to Prague.
Visit poster’s website
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-06-16, 06:31    Post subject: Reviews of WSF 2012 Reply with quote

It's actually quite good for those of us involved in WSF16! More reviews, critiques and suggestions for improvements, please
Okay Mr. Green Okay Mr. Green Okay Mr. Green
Visit poster’s website Skype
x moran

PostPosted: 2012-06-16, 10:36    Post subject: Reviews of WSF 2012 Reply with quote

I would have given my left upper-little finger joint to see Riley Lee perform Ryuhei again, even though he taught it in a Santa Monica class years ago (thanks to Bill and Tony).

Davies, no. -- Towers, maybe ... kinda.

To call Yokoyama just a "prime mover" is a classic understatement -- even a Meian (Myoan) minimalist such as I give him a bit more stature than that.

Putting this event on in Japan was quite daunting. You should be very happy it happened at all. I hope Prague is a tenth as successful.
Daniel Ryudo
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-06-16, 12:18    Post subject: Reviews of WSF 2012 Reply with quote

Yes, I used the wrong article; that should have been the prime mover.
Visit poster’s website
Daniel Ryudo
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-06-16, 12:41    Post subject: Reviews of WSF 2012 Reply with quote

My Dave Davies comment was meant as a joke, though maybe it was understated... Very Happy
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-06-16, 14:05    Post subject: Reviews of WSF 2012 Reply with quote

Dave Davies is a good friend of mine, as well as one of the all time greats, so I like it! Okay
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 00:57    Post subject: Reviews of WSF 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation