ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Futes of Hope Concert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-06-15, 17:38    Post subject: Futes of Hope Concert Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Flutes of Hope

A concert of traditional and new music in honor of the exhibition VOICES FROM JAPAN: Despair and Hope from Disaster

Featuring:
Kaoru Watanabe, yokobue (transverse bamboo flutes)
Akihito Obama and Ralph Samuelson, shakuhachi (vertical bamboo flute)
Sumie Kaneko, shamisen and koto (traditional Japanese stringed instruments)

Thursday, June 28, 7:30 PM
Cathedral of St. John the Divine
1047 Amsterdam Ave. at 112th St.

Please click the link below or open the attached PDF file for further details.

http://www.stjohndivine.org/flutesofhope.html

VOICES FROM JAPAN: Despair and Hope from Disaster

Cathedral of St. John the Divine, 1047 Broadway at 112 Street
June 14 – August 8, 2012

VOICES FROM JAPAN is an exhibition that shares the extraordinary experience of the Japanese people following the earthquake and tsunami of March 11, 2011. It seeks to connect the voices of the victims and survivors, transmitting their experiences and emotions to exhibition viewers in America, providing inspiration about the strength and compassion of people after a disaster, as well as a cautionary tale. The exhibition will come down on August 8–coincidentally a day between the two horrific nuclear anniversaries: Hiroshima on August 6th, 1945, and Nagasaki on August 9th. The dangers of the Nuclear Age, whether in time or war or in peace, can never be forgotten by the country that made the first atomic bomb or the country that showed the world the results of its terrible power.

The exhibition includes poetry by Japanese people; portraits by Naoto Nakagawa; photography by Magdalena Sole; collage of salvaged photographs by Yoshihito and Saori Sasaguchi; film by Joseph Krakora and calligraphy by Kanji Chiba.

筆文字「日本からの声」

my home place

has become a town

without voices, without humans

it is as distant

as the end of the earth

by Keiko Hangui, former resident of Fukushima

This is a great chance to hear shakuhachi like you've never heard it before.

It's the world's largest Gothic cathedral.

See you there!

- Perry
Visit poster’s website
Ellen Taylor

PostPosted: 2012-06-15, 22:23    Post subject: Futes of Hope Concert Reply with quote

What great talent in a fantastic venue to honor both tragedy and compassion. It makes me want to fly 2500 miles back home just to be there!
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-06-16, 14:40    Post subject: Futes of Hope Concert Reply with quote

Ellen Taylor wrote:
....It makes me want to fly 2500 miles back home just to be there!

Hi Ellen, Don't worry, there's always cool shakuhachi happenings in New York City!
Visit poster’s website
DaveW

PostPosted: 2012-06-16, 14:56    Post subject: Futes of Hope Concert Reply with quote

I'm at the other end of Australia from Brian and so definitely won't be able to make it - unfortunately. I do however have a friend in NYC and I've just sent her the information. I hope she makes it out to the concert on 28th - If she does I asked her to say Hi to you Perry. Cheers.
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-06-17, 14:28    Post subject: Futes of Hope Concert Reply with quote

DaveW wrote:
I'm at the other end of Australia from Brian and so definitely won't be able to make it - unfortunately. I do however have a friend in NYC and I've just sent her the information. I hope she makes it out to the concert on 28th - If she does I asked her to say Hi to you Perry. Cheers.

G'day Dave, Please do send your friend over. I'll be happy to introduce her to the performers should she want to meet them also. Take care.
Visit poster’s website
James Nyoraku Schlefer
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-06-17, 17:54    Post subject: Futes of Hope Concert Reply with quote

Obama-san came to the performance I had last night last night at Tenri with piano trio. I can't wait to hear him play!
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-06-18, 00:48    Post subject: Futes of Hope Concert Reply with quote

James Nyoraku Schlefer wrote:
Obama-san came to the performance I had last night last night at Tenri with piano trio. I can't wait to hear him play!

Is his real name Obama, or did he change to honor US President?
James Nyoraku Schlefer
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-06-18, 00:49    Post subject: Futes of Hope Concert Reply with quote

No that's his real name - means little beach. There's also a town in Japan named Obama.
Kohl Sudduth

PostPosted: 2012-06-26, 21:15    Post subject: Futes of Hope Concert Reply with quote

After hearing Obama play/improvise with a trumpet player and a modern dancer at Roulette, I'm excited for the chance to hear him play with Ralph. I'll definitely be there and encourage other shakuhachi enthusiasts in NYC to do the same.
Visit poster’s website
Kohl Sudduth

PostPosted: 2012-06-30, 15:28    Post subject: Futes of Hope Concert Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention that this was an extraordinary concert. It's few days later and the experience has really stuck with me. As a professional in the arts who sees a lot of performance, this doesn't happen very often. It was an exceedingly rare conjunction of circumstances: virtuosic players, the sacred and voluminous space of St John of the Divine, and a very powerful art exhibit of work born in response to the recent tsunami. In short, it was easily the most deeply moving experience I've had a shakuhachi/traditional music event. Much gratitude to all who were involved and so generous with their creative spirit.
Visit poster’s website
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-06-30, 19:45    Post subject: Futes of Hope Concert Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Kohl. It is actually nice to hear about the performances!!! Okay
Visit poster’s website Skype
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-07-01, 13:12    Post subject: Futes of Hope Concert Reply with quote

Kohl Sudduth wrote:
... In short, it was easily the most deeply moving experience I've had a shakuhachi/traditional music event. Much gratitude to all who were involved and so generous with their creative spirit.

Thanks for sharing Kohl, the concert stayed with me too. Many times throughout the past several days, images, sounds and moments from the concert would pop into my head at any given moment. This concert moved beyond the form of music. It was a theatrical event where seemingly simple moments of sound production became symbolic of life experiences. The incredible cathedral was certainly a main collaborator and factor in transmitting these emotions. A huge thank you and deep bow to the incredibly talented and generous musicians. Lastly, the exhibition runs until august 8th. Go check it out!
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 06:45    Post subject: Futes of Hope Concert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation