ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A good kebiki substitute?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Author Message
Iain Bankson
Member

Offline

Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Localisation: Mississippi, USA

PostPosted: 2012-06-22, 18:30    Post subject: A good kebiki substitute? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
First, I'm happy I finally got this account going (MobileMe was being troublesome!) so hi to everyone!

As for the reason I'm posting, I've recently started on a low B flute. I'm going to need to take it places, but it's so big it wouldn't fit in a trunk or suitcase. The obvious solution, of course, is to cut a nakatsuge. But I can't afford a kebiki (I am on a VERY tight budget) or the gouge I would use to finish the work. If there are any good substitutes or even plans for making my own that someone could show mw, I would be very grateful!
_________________
"Do not only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets. For it and knowledge can raise man to the divine."-Ludwig Von Beethoven
Back to top
Skype
Perry Yung
Professional Member

Offline

Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 346
Localisation: New York City, UWS

PostPosted: 2012-06-23, 02:32    Post subject: A good kebiki substitute? Reply with quote

Hi Lain, I think you can make a nakatsuki joint without the kebiki and gouge. A Dremel with a sanding drum would work to make the mortise.

Here's a link to my Facebook page with photos on how I make the Nakatsuki. Perhaps it can offer some direction.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2881361387087.2137538.1051645186&…

Good luck! Perry
_________________
"A hot Dog is not an animal" - Jet Yung
Blog on shakuhachi, art and parenting - www.yungflutes.com
Back to top
Visit poster’s website
Iain Bankson
Member

Offline

Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Localisation: Mississippi, USA

PostPosted: 2012-06-23, 03:58    Post subject: A good kebiki substitute? Reply with quote

Perry Yung wrote:
Hi Lain, I think you can make a nakatsuki joint without the kebiki and gouge. A Dremel with a sanding drum would work to make the mortise.

Here's a link to my Facebook page with photos on how I make the Nakatsuki. Perhaps it can offer some direction.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2881361387087.2137538.1051645186&…

Good luck! Perry


Thank you, Mr. Yung. I have had terrible luck with dremel before, but now I have PLENTY of scrap bamboo to practice on. Btw, it's iain, not lain. Like EE-IN. I get called Lain a lot. Very Happy
_________________
"Do not only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets. For it and knowledge can raise man to the divine."-Ludwig Von Beethoven
Back to top
Skype
Perry Yung
Professional Member

Offline

Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 346
Localisation: New York City, UWS

PostPosted: 2012-06-24, 16:49    Post subject: A good kebiki substitute? Reply with quote

Iain Bankson wrote:
Perry Yung wrote:
Hi Lain, I think you can make a nakatsuki joint without the kebiki and gouge. A Dremel with a sanding drum would work to make the mortise.

Here's a link to my Facebook page with photos on how I make the Nakatsuki. Perhaps it can offer some direction.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2881361387087.2137538.1051645186&…

Good luck! Perry


Thank you, Mr. Yung. I have had terrible luck with dremel before, but now I have PLENTY of scrap bamboo to practice on.



Then an inexpensive gouge (round cut wood cutting knife from Michaels) and sanding rods will work.

Quote:
Btw, it's iain, not lain. Like EE-IN. I get called Lain a lot. Very Happy


Sorry Iian, didn't have my reading glasses on. Smile
_________________
"A hot Dog is not an animal" - Jet Yung
Blog on shakuhachi, art and parenting - www.yungflutes.com
Back to top
Visit poster’s website
Itamar Foguel
Member

Offline

Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 103
Localisation: Israel

PostPosted: 2013-03-18, 20:42    Post subject: A good kebiki substitute? Reply with quote

hi Iain, i made my own Kebiki from wooden dowel, wodden cube, and a blade taken from exacto knife

check it out here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200476946342728&set=a.1386892…
Back to top
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé






PostPosted: Today at 19:25    Post subject: A good kebiki substitute?

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2017 phpBB Group