ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Craft of Pure Sound Retreat at Zen Mountain Monastery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Kohl Sudduth

PostPosted: 2012-07-10, 16:14    Post subject: Craft of Pure Sound Retreat at Zen Mountain Monastery Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Everyone,
Here is a link to an upcoming retreat at Zen Mountain Monastery in the Catskills of upstate New York from July 19-22, 2012: http://mro.org/zmm/retreats/detail/2012/ART1275.php
Perry Yung will lead the "Craft of Pure Sound" retreat, which has grown from last year. Beginning on Thursday evening and ending on Sunday late morning, we will have ample time to make a functional shakuhachi and to learn how to play simple honkyoku. The work with the shakuhachi will take place within the daily training schedule of ZMM, giving participants a chance to experience practice within an authentic and vibrant Zen tradition. This is a great way, for both beginners and people with more expertise, to directly experience zazen in conjunction with making and playing shakuhachi. I've included some picture from last year's retreat. Hope to see you all there!

Visit poster’s website
m a doherty

PostPosted: 2012-07-10, 17:17    Post subject: Craft of Pure Sound Retreat at Zen Mountain Monastery Reply with quote

What a TREAT! Zen Mountain Monastery is indeed a vibrant Sangha - amazing really. If I remember correctly it was ZMM that brought Watazumi out in the 80s - or at least hosted him. The late John Daido Loori (Master in both Rinzai and Soto Sects), founder of the ZMM was himself an artist, and he had a special place in mind for art in Zen practice. In his lectures he references shakuhachi as well. ZMM has an extensive online "arm", including WZEN.org, an online podcast / radio, an print practitioner's journal, "The Mountain Journal", and much more good stuff. If only I did not live thousands of miles away.

Watazumi at ZMM: http://mro.org/zmm/search/index.php?searchtext=watazumi
Kohl Sudduth

PostPosted: 2012-07-11, 01:44    Post subject: Craft of Pure Sound Retreat at Zen Mountain Monastery Reply with quote

I wanted to mention that I just learned this retreat is full and is now on a waiting list. Thanks to all.

m a doherty wrote:
What a TREAT! Zen Mountain Monastery is indeed a vibrant Sangha - amazing really.

Thanks for the kind and supportive words man! Also thanks for posting the links to Daido Roshi's talks. Watazumi Doso's time there has become part of the monastery lore. Way before my time at ZMM unfortunately.
m a doherty wrote:
If only I did not live thousands of miles away.

I can totally relate. I was just seriously considering flying to London for the upcoming "Universe in a Single Tone" workshop.
Visit poster’s website
m a doherty

PostPosted: 2012-07-11, 05:10    Post subject: Craft of Pure Sound Retreat at Zen Mountain Monastery Reply with quote

Good to hear that the retreat is full!
I will continue to "participate" in the Sangha remotely by way of CDs, Daido Roshi's writings, lectures, and the sounds presented by WZEN.
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2012-07-11, 13:16    Post subject: Craft of Pure Sound Retreat at Zen Mountain Monastery Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Thanks for posting Kohl! I would have done this sooner but I've been out of town and away from the computer Sad .

m a doherty wrote:
... If I remember correctly it was ZMM that brought Watazumi out in the 80s - or at least hosted him.

Michael, when I left the monastery last year, one of the teachers gave me a CD from their library. It was a compilation of recordings by Watazumi. The cover art had a familiar photo (iconic to me) of Watazumi playing in a dojo. The info states 1983.

Quote:
The late John Daido Loori (Master in both Rinzai and Soto Sects), founder of the ZMM was himself an artist, and he had a special place in mind for art in Zen practice. In his lectures he references shakuhachi as well. ZMM has an extensive online "arm", including WZEN.org, an online podcast / radio, an print practitioner's journal, "The Mountain Journal", and much more good stuff. If only I did not live thousands of miles away.

Watazumi at ZMM: http://mro.org/zmm/search/index.php?searchtext=watazumi

Last year, during the first evening's meditation, there was a lecture given on the power of art in cultivating spirituality. It was really quite affirming and enlightening as it was the through practice of art that I found myself on that very zabuton that evening.

Last years workshop was so inspiring. I only hope for this workshop is that the participants get as much out of it as I will. I am the lucky one here.

- Namaste, Perry
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 20:40    Post subject: Craft of Pure Sound Retreat at Zen Mountain Monastery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation