ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lighter Side of Shakuhachi
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Museum
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Dun Romin

PostPosted: 2011-03-29, 23:55    Post subject: The Lighter Side of Shakuhachi Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Question I'm curious Kiku, why you think tozan notation more compatible with western as kinko is?
I play regularly with a violinplayer. We made the appoinment to listen carefully, think in phrases instead of beats and choose the most convinient shak fitting the given western key or the most convenient western key to a given shak. That normally solves the problem neatly, no matter if I play tozan or kinko.

PostPosted: 2011-03-30, 01:32    Post subject: The Lighter Side of Shakuhachi Reply with quote

The violinist is looking to the right, as if he was more interested in hear the shaku than in read something... maybe some improvisation?
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2011-03-30, 02:58    Post subject: The Lighter Side of Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Dun Romin wrote:
Question I'm curious Kiku, why you think tozan notation more compatible with western as kinko is?

Bar lines. Meter.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2011-03-30, 05:56    Post subject: The Lighter Side of Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Dun Romin wrote:

I didn't say Tozan was more compatible with Western music or notation than kinko notation. I guessed Tozan because they were on the forefront when it came to experiments with Western musical styles and instruments - especially early on.
Also Tozan became quickly the biggest school of shakuhachi in Japan.
And then, as Tairaku has already answered - the barlines and meter in Tozan notation does give these two notation systems something in common. Smile
Visit poster’s website Skype
Dun Romin

PostPosted: 2011-03-30, 11:17    Post subject: The Lighter Side of Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Ah, historically more open for new developments..., that would make sence, yes.
Concerning notation stating that barlines and meter are closer together is also undenieble, but please notice too that scripture is not the essence of music, just support. You can pass it by rather easy if you listen well to each other and think in sentences. For me one of the nicest assets of Japanese music is it's open structure in sentences, more than ritmically based. A way of thinking also suiting the Western Impressionistic musicstiles. Smile So for me it always has felt a kind of logic, that after the opening of Japan the Japanese musicians were so easy to adap these musicstiles in that time.

PostPosted: Today at 12:21    Post subject: The Lighter Side of Shakuhachi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Museum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation