ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question regarding practice guide and teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
colemanhatfield

PostPosted: 2012-10-02, 22:15    Post subject: Question regarding practice guide and teacher Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I'm sorry if any of these questions are repeats of previous ones, but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I'm currently looking for a teacher within the Los Angeles area, specifically as close to my school in the Northridge area as possible (I realise this is a difficult question). I'm also in search of a good a beginners guide for someone like myself (I have been working on basic technique for less then a year) to look into, which is available in print within the USA (a few of the suggested text in the post about practice guides were out of print and extremely expensive within the USA). I understand as a professional trombone player how important it is to have a good practice guide and teacher to advance so any help that can be provided would greatly be appreciated.
m a doherty

PostPosted: 2012-10-02, 22:44    Post subject: Question regarding practice guide and teacher Reply with quote

Looks like a couple of teachers in Cali are listed here: http://www.komuso.com/top/teachers.pl and I am sure that you are aware of the teachers online, via skype, which is a good option, particularly if you can visit 2-3 times a year in-person. I am sure you will get some other advice here about books, teachers, and such.

There was just a post about a beginner's book as well if you want to try to use the search function in the forum (here: http://www.shakuhachiforum.eu/t755-Good-book-DVD-for-self-study.htm?q=). Normally a teacher will have those materials available.
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-10-03, 00:37    Post subject: Question regarding practice guide and teacher Reply with quote

I recommend studying the music with a teacher, but if you want technical exercises for self-practive James Nyoraku Schlefer's workbooks are a good resource. You can find them at www.shakuhachi.com
mcbmustard

PostPosted: 2012-10-03, 01:56    Post subject: Question regarding practice guide and teacher Reply with quote

I would recommend my teacher Jim Thompson. He's located in Santa Monica. He teaches both kinko and tozan style notation. Jim was a senior student of the late Masakazu Yoshizawa.

Happy Hunting
-Matt
colemanhatfield

PostPosted: 2012-10-03, 02:21    Post subject: Question regarding practice guide and teacher Reply with quote

Thank you all so far for all the helpful advice, I look forward to looking into these suggestion carefully. While I'd appriciate any sort of lessons, I'd much preferr in person ones then ones over skype if possible and I'm glad to know there are teachers nearby I can study with. It might be little while before I can schedule permanent lessons, since I am busy with school (without a car) and next semester plan on volunteering abroad to help teach music. As soon as I can, however I would love to begin lessons. It is especially important to me to this information early, however because I plan on minoring in ethnomusicology with a focus on Japanese music's (both shakuhachi and noh drama) in graduate school and hopefully after that getting a second master in ethnomusicology.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-10-03, 11:18    Post subject: Question regarding practice guide and teacher Reply with quote

If you are in Los Angelos, Jim Thompson is a very good option!
Which university will you do your Masters in? And doing the BA? Smile
Visit poster’s website Skype
colemanhatfield

PostPosted: 2012-10-03, 20:31    Post subject: Question regarding practice guide and teacher Reply with quote

I'm strongly looking into to getting my masters degree in Library Science at UCLA with a focus on Ethnomusicological archiving, and then going if I can going to UC Riverside, another local school advised by my instructors, or even possibly a out of state school (depending on the work situation and based on the information I have received from my schools ethnomusicologists) for a Master in Ethnomusicology.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-10-06, 19:50    Post subject: Question regarding practice guide and teacher Reply with quote

That sounds very interesting that you will do a Masters in library science first and then a masters in ethnomusicology!
Gosh, you sound like one of the few of us with a job prospect! Okay

Good luck with it, and let us know now and then how it is going! Would love to hear news! Mr. Green
Visit poster’s website Skype
colemanhatfield

PostPosted: 2012-10-07, 07:02    Post subject: Question regarding practice guide and teacher Reply with quote

Thanks so much I'll definitely be sure to include updates ^>^
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 10:55    Post subject: Question regarding practice guide and teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation