ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally some shakuhachi in Oslo, at the opera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Jarle Jivanmukta

PostPosted: 2012-10-21, 12:32    Post subject: Finally some shakuhachi in Oslo, at the opera Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Shakuhachi is rare in Norway, so I was excited to see that the norwegian opera would have a special programme including shakuhachi.

The programme was actually about the influence of japanese music in Puccinis opera Madame Butterfly.
Shika no tone was played as a duet between shakuhachi and cello, it was beautiful.

The shakuhachi player was Shiku Yano, and he gave some nice talks inbetween songs, explaining the instrument, meri/kari, a bit history etc.
I cannot find much information about him online.

I took my chance when he asked for a volunteer, and ran onstage - he was surprised as he expected that the volunteer wouldnt manage to make a sound, and I was excited to have my first (possibly also last) performance at the norwegian opera. And i got to try what I guess is a very good shakuhachi.

Sound of Japan

Program:
Spring ocean
short melodies from the opera
shingetsu-cho shakuhachi
sakura sakura koto
Fantasy ’Shimabara’
Echigo jishi shakuhachi
Shika no tone Shakuhachi
Like a bird
Half moon Shakuhachi

Performers:
Shakuhachi Shiku Yano, Koto Satsuki Urasawa (japanske instrumenter)
Reika Higuchi (japansk kalligrafi)

Musikere fra Den Norske Opera & Ballett: Magnus Lodgaard (piano), Juhani Kaasinen (cello), Yukiko Mikami (fiolin)

http://www.operaen.no/Default.aspx?ID=28555&ProductID=PROD1003
GalinaSG

PostPosted: 2012-10-21, 16:32    Post subject: Finally some shakuhachi in Oslo, at the opera Reply with quote

Jarle, thank you for sharing. It must be very exciting experience on the opera stage! Exclamation Okay

PostPosted: 2012-10-22, 08:14    Post subject: Finally some shakuhachi in Oslo, at the opera Reply with quote

Cool ! ! ! Oslo's new opera house rocks ! ! ! ! Both the new building and the content! Smile
Was it in the main hall or in some of the outer spaces?
Cool you volunteered! That must have been really fun! Okay
I have come across Shiku Yano before - again in concerts around Europe. But I don't know much about him.
Visit poster’s website Skype
Jarle Jivanmukta

PostPosted: 2012-10-22, 12:32    Post subject: Finally some shakuhachi in Oslo, at the opera Reply with quote

It was in the rehearsal room, a big black box that is often used for smaller events.
And yes, the opera is great :-)

It was a thrill to volunteer. Coming from a background with no experience as a performer, I can see now that it will be great when my playing will be so good that I can perform. (Even if that is not my main reason for playing shakuhachi.) I have played a few times for friends at small parties etc. and it is indeed a very good experience. I used to know some dancers, and I believe shakuhachi (specially) honkyoku will go very well with modern dance. We will see what happens.

I have become so old that I begin to think back, and one thing is for sure, I wish I had learned music when I was much younger! But it was only yoga and nature for me those days...
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2012-10-22, 17:14    Post subject: Finally some shakuhachi in Oslo, at the opera Reply with quote

Great story. I love Oslo, and can imagine it all happening. Good for you to have taken your opportunity.
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:06    Post subject: Finally some shakuhachi in Oslo, at the opera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation