ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Karl Jenkins Requiem at Dorchester Abbey 8 Dec 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-11-30, 17:30    Post subject: Karl Jenkins Requiem at Dorchester Abbey 8 Dec 2012 Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Dear all

I will play Karl Jenkins Requiem for shakuhachi, choir and orchestra 8 Dec 7:30 pm at Dorchester Abbey with the Beson Choral Society.

More info here:
http://www.bensonchoralsociety.org.uk/Benson_future_concerts.htm
Visit poster’s website Skype
Niklas Natt och Dag

PostPosted: 2012-12-02, 21:12    Post subject: Karl Jenkins Requiem at Dorchester Abbey 8 Dec 2012 Reply with quote

Cool, Gunnar (Jinmei Linder) performed the same piece in a church here in Stockholm at the end of October, if you want to compare notes! I was unable to attend, but I understand it requires several changes between different lenghts of shakuhachi?
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-12-03, 00:13    Post subject: Karl Jenkins Requiem at Dorchester Abbey 8 Dec 2012 Reply with quote

Indeed. I would play on a 1.6; 1.8; 2.2 (Bb) and 2.3 (A).... but some of then don't go so well together so I might just play on 2.2 and 1.8. Haven't decided yet. Smile
Could be fun to ask Gunnar which choices he did regarding flute length.

Thanks for the info, Niklas!
JF Lagrost
Administrator

PostPosted: 2012-12-03, 20:04    Post subject: Karl Jenkins Requiem at Dorchester Abbey 8 Dec 2012 Reply with quote

I played Jenkins' Requiem 2 times using 1.8, 1.6 and 2.3 (Bb), but perhaps I would do differently now.
Visit poster’s website
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-12-03, 20:42    Post subject: Karl Jenkins Requiem at Dorchester Abbey 8 Dec 2012 Reply with quote

I will end up just playing with a D and Bb flute.
If I had 4 matching flutes, I would play it on 2.3 (A), 2.2 (Bb), 1.8 (D) and 1.6 (E).... but the E is too flat and the A sounds too odd in comparison with the other 2....
So end result is just the 2 mentioned first. I surely will do differently if I had different flutes. Smile

Nice to see that so many have played this piece.

Personally I don't think it is a masterpiece at all.... but surely nice to get the shakuhachi out there!
So thank you. Niklas and Jean-Francois for sharing! Okay
JF Lagrost
Administrator

PostPosted: 2012-12-03, 20:58    Post subject: Karl Jenkins Requiem at Dorchester Abbey 8 Dec 2012 Reply with quote

I just found my score. This is what I played last time :

The Snow of Yesterday : 2.3 (Bb)
From Deep in my Heart : 1.6
Now as a Spirit : 1.8
Having Seen the Moon : 1.6
Farewell : 1.6
Visit poster’s website
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2012-12-04, 10:42    Post subject: Karl Jenkins Requiem at Dorchester Abbey 8 Dec 2012 Reply with quote

Cool! It is fun to see what people choose. The pieces are simple but the simplicity also makes them want to be play on shakuhachi that really fits the tonality...

My plan was:
The Snow of Yesterday: 2.2 (Bb)
From Deep in my Heart: 2.3 (A)
Now as a Spirit: 1.8 (D)
Having Seen the Moon: 1.8 (D) or I did also think of 1.6 (E)
Farewell: 1.6 (E)

But now I end up with everything in 1.8 except the Bb in The Snow of Yesterday
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 13:49    Post subject: Karl Jenkins Requiem at Dorchester Abbey 8 Dec 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation