ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Request: Urushi Allergy

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Author Message
Niklas Natt och Dag
Member

Offline

Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 29
Localisation: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: 2012-12-19, 12:27    Post subject: Help Request: Urushi Allergy Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Dear community, I seem to have developed a problem fairly recently, and am in need of good advice. Situation is as follows:

Recently, I acquired a new shakuhachi, which replaced my old one. When playing my new flute, I seem to get an allergic reaction, always in the same particular spot on my lower lip. The irritation continues for a while, the lip cracks and usually takes a few days to heal with the aid of aloe vera and such. It has been suggested that this is a reaction to the urushi in the new flute.

My older one had an inner coating of urushi as well, but was fairly close to its hundredth birthday, so the allergic effect of the urushi may have been lessened. The replacement flute is probably in its 20's.

1. Does the urushi allergy theory seem likely to you?
2. What can I do about it? I basically plan to spend my old age with this new flute. Is there any solution more esthetically pleasing than coating the mouthpiece with duct tape?
Back to top
Eugene
Member

Offline

Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 69
Localisation: Singapore

PostPosted: 2012-12-19, 18:14    Post subject: Help Request: Urushi Allergy Reply with quote

I recall reading Perry Yung's advice in this thread on Curing Urushi.
Back to top
Visit poster’s website
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

Offline

Joined: 09 Apr 2011
Posts: 93
Localisation: Norfolk, VA

PostPosted: 2012-12-20, 04:05    Post subject: Help Request: Urushi Allergy Reply with quote

Hi,

Urushi can un-cure if it gets dry and if this happens it becomes volatile again. In the above linked thread they mention storing it in a humid environment which prevents it from un-curing and it can cure it in some cases. It sounds like you are allergic so some other things to be cautious of are mangos and cashews which are in the same family and have urushiol. Also be careful not to transfer the oils from your face to other parts of your body or to others who may be allergic. You can help prevent this by washing hands/face with dish detergent etc. Best of luck, Jon~
_________________
flutedojo.com
Back to top
Kiku Day
Moderator

Offline

Joined: 20 Mar 2011
Posts: 865
Localisation: Nr Snede, DK/London UK

PostPosted: 2012-12-20, 08:48    Post subject: Help Request: Urushi Allergy Reply with quote

Hej Niklas

It is not the best combination to be playing shakuhachi and be allergic to urushiol. But many of us share this fate with you! Sigh! Bannir
I was not allergic in the beginning - but during the research for my PhD I went to so many shakuhachi making workshops and looked into newly made shakuhachi and played then. So at the end developed an allergy. For me it was around the right eye and chin/lips!

Perry sent me a box of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Cortaid-Poison-Removal-6-Count-Packages/dp/B001E96LZY

which may help you in your case. They helped me with a shakuhachi that gave me mild symptoms (no blisters only very red rashes). The allergic reaction you describe seems also fairly mild. So wiping the flute before you play (or just once carefully inside - I did this) could be helpful. But more important is it for you to be wiping your lips and chin off after playing. That could take the the symptoms you describe - I think. At least making them more bearable.

After some time I noticed I couldn't feel any reaction on my chin/lips when playing this flute so I stopped doing this and it is fine now. So hopefully you can reach a stage where it will not be a problem any longer.

GOod luck with it, Niklas! Okay


Last edited by Kiku Day on 2012-12-20, 15:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Visit poster’s website Skype
Niklas Natt och Dag
Member

Offline

Joined: 07 Apr 2011
Posts: 29
Localisation: Stockholm, Sweden

PostPosted: 2012-12-20, 12:51    Post subject: Help Request: Urushi Allergy Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Eugene, Jon and Kiku! Although I do store the flute in around 60 % humidity, it's interesting to hear that urushi can become uncured again even after so many years. I'll try to get some Cortaid and keep my fingers crossed.
Back to top
Perry Yung
Professional Member

Offline

Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 346
Localisation: New York City, UWS

PostPosted: 2012-12-20, 16:07    Post subject: Help Request: Urushi Allergy Reply with quote

Niklas Natt och Dag wrote:
Dear community, I seem to have developed a problem fairly recently, and am in need of good advice. Situation is as follows:

Recently, I acquired a new shakuhachi, which replaced my old one. When playing my new flute, I seem to get an allergic reaction, always in the same particular spot on my lower lip. The irritation continues for a while, the lip cracks and usually takes a few days to heal with the aid of aloe vera and such. It has been suggested that this is a reaction to the urushi in the new flute.

My older one had an inner coating of urushi as well, but was fairly close to its hundredth birthday, so the allergic effect of the urushi may have been lessened. The replacement flute is probably in its 20's.

1. Does the urushi allergy theory seem likely to you?
2. What can I do about it? I basically plan to spend my old age with this new flute. Is there any solution more esthetically pleasing than coating the mouthpiece with duct tape?


Hi Niklas, I've had one person come to with an allergic reaction to a flute that was about 30 years old. I had him to wash his flute with dish washing detergent as it's a great oil remover. It did the trick. Just make a soft scrub brush by fixing a small piece of soft cotton fabric around a dowel with a rubber band. Scrub the bore thoroughly, rinse well with warm water and repeat the procedure. Swab dry the flute well.

Kiku is right. I always suggest to people playing newly urushi lacquered flutes to use baby wipes to wipe their lips after playing for a few days, or until they know they are not allergic.

Let us know what happens.
- Perry
_________________
"A hot Dog is not an animal" - Jet Yung
Blog on shakuhachi, art and parenting - www.yungflutes.com
Back to top
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé






PostPosted: Today at 20:48    Post subject: Help Request: Urushi Allergy

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2017 phpBB Group