ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney
Goto page: 1, 2  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk
Previous topic :: Next topic  
chikuzen
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-01-12, 00:38    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
My student, Sarah Strothers (also known as BodhiSarah) has had lupus since the age of 14. In the past 4 years she has had many complications due to this and is now ( finally) on the donor list for a new kidney. Sarah has suffered a lot but she never complains and keeps fighting on. She has continued to pay shakuhachi throughout all of this except when she's suddenly in the hospital for another emergency, and then she apologizes profusely for missing a lesson! She's now working on her Phd in Ethnomusicology at Florida State University with an emphasis on shakuahchi. Please read her story on her site at
www.gofundme.com/sarahhopestotinkle

Sarah has explained her story and written out her budget there too. Any money you could spare would be very helpful.
I will be doing a benefit concert with some musicians from Japan in the near future here in Wyoming, where we will be selling "virtual tickets" much like we did for Phil James. But this time, I think we have it worked where those buying tickets can watch it streaming on the web. I'll post about it when everything is etched in stone.

Thanks a lot for reading this and even sending BodhiSarah words of encouragement would be wonderful!

Michael Chikuzen Gould
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-01-12, 16:48    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

Hi Michael, Congratulations on the successful move.

I recall having the warmest correspondence with Sarah when I did some work on her flute. I'm sorry to hear about her condition. Do you have a tentative date in mind for your fundraiser? I can coordinate a flute donation auction with links to your benefit concert. That will bring in a good amount of attention.

- Perry
Visit poster’s website
Erin

PostPosted: 2013-01-13, 08:03    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

Michael it is wonderful that you are planning this concert to benefit Sarah and Perry how kind of you to join in with your suggestion of a flute to auction. I look forward to further details and would be happy to post whatever information may be helpful on my blog.
chikuzen
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-01-14, 02:49    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

I'm working with people now to iron out the details. I'm also bringing a couple musicians from Japan to join and maybe do some Fukuda Rando numbers with a pianist here so it should be a fun concert. I'm aiming at March if all goes well.
Perry, thanks for the offer. Everything helps. I'll be in touch as soon as I know more.
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-01-15, 14:38    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

chikuzen wrote:
I'm working with people now to iron out the details. I'm also bringing a couple musicians from Japan to join and maybe do some Fukuda Rando numbers with a pianist here so it should be a fun concert. I'm aiming at March if all goes well.
Perry, thanks for the offer. Everything helps. I'll be in touch as soon as I know more.

Great, Please let me know if I can help in any other way.
- Perry
Visit poster’s website
chikuzen
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-04-04, 17:56    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

The Benefit Concert for Sarah Strothers ( new kidney) will happen on friday, April 19, in San Francisco at the First Unitarian Church of San Francisco, 1187 Franklin St. At Geary at 7:00 pm. If you haven't read about why we are doing this please go to www.gofundme.com/sarahhopestotinkle

We are selling zen seats for those who cannot physically attend for $10. each. Let's all support Sarah as much as possible with a donation. PLEASE find some loose change in the house and buy a couple seats. Your Ro will sound much better if you do! The link to the donation site is: www.zenseats.webs/com

I believe Perry Yung has offered a flute for auction with the proceeds to go for donation. Hopefully we'll hear from him on this soon.

Thank you all very very much.

Michael Chikuzen Gould
Eugene

PostPosted: 2013-04-04, 18:24    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

It seems that the actual link to the donation site is: http://zenseats.webs.com/

chikuzen wrote:
Your Ro will sound much better if you do!

Really?! Smile
Visit poster’s website
m a doherty

PostPosted: 2013-04-04, 19:46    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

I was skeptical at first, but it is true. Ro no otsu has a depth that prior to the donation did not exist. Nice. I bought two seats, one for myself and one for my not-self. We'll go together.
Paul Gardner

PostPosted: 2013-04-04, 22:56    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

I just bought three zen seats right in the middle near to the front. Okay
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-04-05, 13:09    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

chikuzen wrote:

I believe Perry Yung has offered a flute for auction with the proceeds to go for donation. Hopefully we'll hear from him on this soon.

Hi Michael, Yes, I have some things in mind like a vintage Japanese Shakuhachi flute or a gift certificate to my own work. I think making this donation through an eBay auction would be the best way to raise awareness for the concert also. I can do that today.

My questions is for the Admins here. Can I make a link through the ESS Forum for the auction? Perhaps here on this thread or in the Buy/Sell/Trade section?

Another idea, I always get inquiries on flutes people no longer play nor know what to do with. Perhaps they can donate them for Sarah's cause.

- Perry
Visit poster’s website
JF Lagrost
Administrator

PostPosted: 2013-04-05, 13:34    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

Perry Yung wrote:

My questions is for the Admins here. Can I make a link through the ESS Forum for the auction? Perhaps here on this thread or in the Buy/Sell/Trade section?
- Perry

I think this thread is the good place for that.
Visit poster’s website
chikuzen
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-04-05, 20:01    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Michael, Perry, Paul and eveyone else who is "attending". Remember, it's "casual" dress.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-04-05, 20:11    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

Ooohhh... I had taken out my evening dress for the event....
Visit poster’s website Skype
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-04-06, 00:18    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

Thanks JF.

Here is a flute I am offering for Sarah's Fundraiser.

It is a Seikado made around the 1990's with two hankos - one from Seikado and the other from Kousan who, from what I was told, may have been a journeyman maker in the shop. The two hankos signify a higher grade instrument. What I do know is that it's a fine Tozan Ryu instrument as expected by experienced players. The winner can audition it for 30 days and if it doesn't fit for any reason, I can find a suitable exchange. Due to the special nature of this auction, there is no cash refund. If I can not find a suitable flute for exchange, I can offer credit towards repairs or a commission of an instrument. Please feel free to ask any questions what so ever here on this thread or directly to my email or PM here on the Forum.

The eBay auction with much more information is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140949076725&ssP…

It closes on Apr 15, 2013 08:40:17 PDT.

Visit poster’s website
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-04-18, 18:21    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney Reply with quote

Hello all. I just wanted to say that the eBay auction closed and the funds are being sent to Sarah. Additionally, another kind soul made a donation to Sarah through a flute purchase not associated with the fundraiser. Thank you all for the kind interaction and for joining the cause.

The concert is tomorrow!

- Perry
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 06:44    Post subject: Benefit Concert and Fundraising for a new kidney

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: 1, 2  >
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation