ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shakuhachi in Korea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Itamar Foguel

PostPosted: 2011-03-31, 01:09    Post subject: Shakuhachi in Korea? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Its still not fully decided, but im going to Korea Seol next semester (fall 2011) for a student exchange program between my industrial design department at Bezalel Jerusalem and Hongik University.

When im there i would really love to have Lessons and everything Shakuhachi related i can find. (not to mention a madake harvesting expedition and finding traditional materials like rattan strings,urushi,etc)

So do any one knows if there are any teachers, makers or players of Shakuhachi in Korea?
Can you give me their contact info?

Thanks a lot!!

Itamar
Visit poster’s website
Jeff Cairns
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-03-31, 03:19    Post subject: Shakuhachi in Korea? Reply with quote

Hello Itmar,
I don't know about Korea and shakuhachi, but I'm just a 30 minute flight from Seoul in Kumamoto. Everything you are after is certainly here. I'd be happy to take you on a take hori in the right season and could help with getting the materials you want. Of course, you can probably get things like urushi and possibly rattan binding in Korea, but it's certainly not like there are shops dedicated to shakuhachi making. There are actually few of those here. In order to get things like kiurushi, it's best to order directly from paint suppliers. To get rattan (toh) binding, there is only one reputable supplier in Japan, but you need to speak Japanese. Of course you can get this from Meijiro, but there are some issues with the consistency of that toh. You can also go to fishing supply shops as toh is used to tie fishing poles. Should you like to make the short journey over, let me know.
Visit poster’s website Skype
Itamar Foguel

PostPosted: 2011-04-01, 03:25    Post subject: Shakuhachi in Korea? Reply with quote

Jeff, If i will have the fonds i will sure come to Japan, i still dont really know but i think i will have about a month of free time around december-january (2012).

Thank you for the invitation and we will be in touch Smile
Visit poster’s website
Jeff Cairns
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-04-01, 03:41    Post subject: Shakuhachi in Korea? Reply with quote

Hello Itamar, that would be perfect time for takehori. If you can come, I'd be happy to take you into a very good takeyabu for excellent madake.
Visit poster’s website Skype
Itamar Foguel

PostPosted: 2011-04-06, 00:42    Post subject: Shakuhachi in Korea? Reply with quote

No one has any connection to shakuhachi in Korea?
Visit poster’s website
Chris Stetson

PostPosted: 2011-04-10, 23:54    Post subject: Shakuhachi in Korea? Reply with quote

Hello, Itamar and all.
I don't have any shakuhachi connection in Korea, but while you're in Seoul, why not find out about the tungso, the Korean counterpart to the shakuhachi? My understanding is that it has a fine old tradition of its own.

PostPosted: 2011-04-11, 18:53    Post subject: Shakuhachi in Korea? Reply with quote

Hey Chris,

To tell the truth, i already have a Tungso that i asked a friend to buy me when he was in seol few years ago, i might check it out there and i have the respect to the instrument,
But, so far i find the tungso less appealing to me, it sounds a lot like the chinese flutes (dizi and the like) and has that little bamboo membrane that makes the buzzing sound, also a lot less versatility in sound textures and almost no ability to meri.
So... i dont know, but we will see when im there
Visit poster’s website
Chris Stetson

PostPosted: 2011-04-11, 19:11    Post subject: Shakuhachi in Korea? Reply with quote

All good points, Itamar. I tend to like the more continental sound (I also play xiao), but maintaining the membrane can be a pain, and they certainly don't have the pitch flexibility of shakuhachi.
Hey, maybe you can do both while also doing your industrial design studies!

PostPosted: 2011-05-23, 08:36    Post subject: Shakuhachi in Korea? Reply with quote

There is a shakuhachi player in Korea. He is originally from the Seien-ryu background but trained in Kinko (and/or Jinnyodo) under Zenyoji-san.

His blog is here: http://nabitsuma.cocolog-nifty.com/shaku8/

He's got some recordings on his blog, for instance: http://nabitsuma.cocolog-nifty.com/shaku8/2007/02/post_f6c7.html

I don't have his email now. But if you want I can ask my friends. We have come across a person like you before who wanted to study shaku in Korea.
Visit poster’s website
Itamar Foguel

PostPosted: 2011-05-25, 20:01    Post subject: Shakuhachi in Korea? Reply with quote

Thank you Koji, sure i would love to have his email address, and im also intended to go for a visit in japan after i finish the semster. Right now its not yet settled if i will go to the student exchange in Korea at September or January, but we will see.
Visit poster’s website
Itamar Foguel

PostPosted: 2012-02-16, 18:03    Post subject: Shakuhachi in Korea? Reply with quote

This whole adventure was delayed, but now im flying to Korea and will be there as an exchange student from 20th FEB to 20th Jun.
i really hope also to have the opportunity to visit japan at some point during my stay.
would love to meet anyone who is around korea, or somewhere relatively close in japan
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 09:44    Post subject: Shakuhachi in Korea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation