ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Paul Gardner

PostPosted: 2013-02-28, 09:41    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
That's great Perry Very Happy thanks
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2013-03-01, 19:50    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Thanks for you be bothered to make this tutorial shown in all its stages.

Great ! Okay

PostPosted: 2013-03-02, 19:02    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

I didn't feel able to do myself the repairs necessary to restore its full potential in my old-kinko Shakuhachi
(redo the joint, repairs cracks and redo the bindings and lacquer.

Also I have sent it to Perry. He has examined it and tell me the repairs to make, and he made a small video for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ9jCbWKSSk

Sweet Embarassed
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-03-02, 20:36    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Bonjour Elizabeth,
Oui, although sometimes it's easy to offer a diagnostic through email and photo attachments, more complex issues can not be determined through cyberspace. You have a lovely old flute that requires personal attention.

Thanks Paul and Michael, let me know if you need additional help.

Merci! Perry
Visit poster’s website
Elia

PostPosted: 2013-03-05, 23:10    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Hello guys :-)
I want to thank Perry for his advices about binding, he was very kind and helpful person. After a crack was opened in my shakuhachi (that I bought from him), I followed Perry's instruction and this is the result of my work:

http://imageshack.us/a/img715/5161/1362479334441.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img708/6289/1362479310230m.jpg

Many thanks Perry, you are a very craftsman! (I'm not!) Very Happy

- David Zasloff
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-03-06, 21:14    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Elia wrote:
Hello guys :-)
I want to thank Perry for his advices about binding, he was very kind and helpful person. After a crack was opened in my shakuhachi (that I bought from him), I followed Perry's instruction and this is the result of my work:

http://imageshack.us/a/img715/5161/1362479334441.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img708/6289/1362479310230m.jpg

Many thanks Perry, you are a very craftsman! (I'm not!) :D

Ciao Elia, I'm so happy that my video helped!

The bindings look great. Really. They look really good for someone who have never done bindings before.

Please feel free to let me know if I can help any further.
Molto grazie, Perry
Visit poster’s website
Elia

PostPosted: 2013-03-07, 00:05    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

>>> The bindings look great. Really. They look really good for someone who have never done bindings before.

I learned from the best xD

- David Zasloff
Rick

PostPosted: 2013-03-20, 17:36    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Hello to everybody,

I am new in the forum and was adviced by Perry so that my problem can be shared with all of you (Thanks Perry! Okay ).

I have shakuhachi with a long and deep crack along the back part of the flute:

I noticed that also in the innerside there is the crack going along the hole:

I now decided to try to repair this beautiful shakuhachi with the help of Perry's valuable instructions/video. I bought the cord #6 and I removed the old bindings. I cleaned the crack (was filled with some kind of glue/silicone). I placed the flute in a plastic bag with some humidifier used also for guitars (no direct water contact Exclamation ). I will now let it rest for a couple of days so that the crack will reduce its force. I will try to bind the flute again completely.

So far are the steps I undertook Rolling Eyes . Any other advice from your part? Perry, what you think about it? do I need to seal the inner crack in any way or better not to touch it and just bind it?

Hope to get a good result and that the flute will play again nicely.

(I will practice the bindings before doing it on the shakuhachi Mr. Green

Thanks already for your support.

Cheers

Rick
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-03-21, 17:01    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Any other advice from your part? Perry, what you think about it? do I need to seal the inner crack in any way or better not to touch it and just bind it?

Hope to get a good result and that the flute will play again nicely.

(I will practice the bindings before doing it on the shakuhachi Mr. Green

Thanks already for your support.

Cheers

Rick

Hello Rick, thanks for joining the forum. This way, others will learn from your process and efforts.

If your crack has not closed all the way yet with your method, you can wait another day or two to see if it will. Cracks on the thinner pieces of young bamboo can be pinched together with your fingers, but older and dense pieces, especially at the root need to have a moist towel wrapped around the bamboo.

Your bindings will be loose at first so it will take multiple tries until you develop good technique and strength. I recommend binding wider at the nodes (top and above the thumb hole), maybe 2cm if you can (those are places that always want to open up). I say if you can because this means pulling until the thread snaps. Once you've done that, you know how much pressure it can take. Then, you can back off slightly but just enough so that the cord can be pulled under the binding. The wider the binding, the more difficult it will be to pull under. Just lighten up on the last 3 windings.

I think you will need 8 bindings for the top section.

Let's take about the damaged Ji plaster after you've successfully finished the bindings.

Get ready to work your forearms! Smile
- Perry
Visit poster’s website
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-03-22, 13:43    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

oops

Last edited by Perry Yung on 2013-03-29, 02:11; edited 1 time in total
Visit poster’s website
Rick

PostPosted: 2013-03-28, 15:41    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Hi Perry,

thanks for your instructions.

As you advised me I had to wrap a moist towel in order to close the crack and now it looks like this Okay :

It looks like it is almost closed only with the moist towel.

I mentioned in my previous message that I have the cord: well it is not the correct one Rolling Eyes ...I just order some spools directly from here:

http://www.store.jewelsinfiber.com/nylontuff.html

1-2 weeks I will get them Wink

In the meantime I am wondering if it necessary to remove the "old" patina from the flute (as you can see in the pictures: the signs left where the old bindings were placed). If yes, how can I remove it without damage the flute?

Thanks and regards

Rick
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-03-29, 02:16    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
..I just order some spools directly from here:

http://www.store.jewelsinfiber.com/nylontuff.html

Marion is great!

Quote:
In the meantime I am wondering if it necessary to remove the "old" patina from the flute (as you can see in the pictures: the signs left where the old bindings were placed). If yes, how can I remove it without damage the flute?

I can't really tell from the photo if it's "old" patina or glue remnants. Bamboo skin can be cleaned with super fine steel wool. In the US it #0000.

Or, you can bind the Tuff Cord on top to hide them.
- Perry
Visit poster’s website
Rick

PostPosted: 2013-04-07, 21:41    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Hi all,

I finally got my tuff cords already after 6 days!!!! Okay and so I could start with the work.

After I removed the moist towel the patina could easily been removed by rubbing it off. The crack was also almost invisible after I removed the towel (it was compleatly closed).

Here are also the pictures of the binding work done. I must say that I am not so sure that it is tightened enough: I think I will let the flute dry well and see if the crack will appear again Confused

Unfortunately I did not place the bindings regularly distanced from each others....some imperfections can be seen. Rolling Eyes

Perry, what do you think about it? Shall I see if the crack will open again before looking into the bore crack problem?

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

Rick

P.S. The flute sounds fantastic again.... Wink
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-04-08, 15:16    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Rick wrote:

...The crack was also almost invisible after I removed the towel (it was compleatly closed).

Here are also the pictures of the binding work done. I must say that I am not so sure that it is tightened enough: I think I will let the flute dry well and see if the crack will appear again Confused

Looks great! If the bindings are tight enough, the crack will remain nearly invisible. It is, however, not uncommon for them to open up a hair between the bindings. But it shouldn't affect the playability.
Quote:

Unfortunately I did not place the bindings regularly distanced from each others....some imperfections can be seen. Rolling Eyes

Perry, what do you think about it? Shall I see if the crack will open again before looking into the bore crack problem?

You should leave the flute exposed to your normal climate to see how much the crack will open. It looks like you placed the bindings close together, which is a good thing. If it remains stabilized after a week of exposure, we can address the bore. You may want to seal the bindings with fingernail polish for the moment. If it opens up to where it's leaking, you'll have to redo one or all of the bindings with more strength. If this is the case, you should use glue on the new bindings. Few people get this right the first time so remind yourself that you are in the process of learning and mistakes are a good thing Okay
[/quote]

Good work! - Perry
Visit poster’s website
Rick

PostPosted: 2013-04-08, 19:05    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Thank you a lot Perry once again for your precious support Exclamation Wink

I will let it rest for a week or two to see how it behaves. You mentioned fingernail polish for the finding: shall I put some only where the binding closes or on the entire bindings?

Rick
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 01:01    Post subject: Taking care of Cracks on Shakuhachi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3  >
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation