ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning new styles on the shakuhachi
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Lorka

PostPosted: 2013-02-14, 19:53    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Thanks Brian. I'm guessing that looking for an older flute that gives good "resistance" is so that you can produce breathier, or to use a term you used back in the BBQ days, "hairy" sound.

Pepe... point taken. Focus on the player, not the instrument.

That being said, if everyone just went with a cheap plastic tube, there would be a lot of makers out of work. I am partial to the bamboo myself, but there is certainly something less egotistical about plastic. I guess my point of interest was if one has a good modern 1.8, but wanted an older flute with "character", by a good, known maker, what should they be looking for. By older, I guess I am thinking 1960's and earlier, as a rough guideline. I guess this is all rather vague really. I suppose I have in mind, something with a smooth, nicely aged sound, like a good Scotch.
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-02-14, 21:05    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi Reply with quote

There's no denying the "character" of the old flutes. I picked up an ancient and screwed up thing in a flea market in Kyoto for $100. It had a special feel to it but hardly played... Sent it to Perry, who did his usual loving magic on it, and it's now my favorite vintage 1.8 to play.
My other favorite is a 2.6 I made myself at a workshop here in Vancouver. I had never attempted to make a flute and thought I may get some valuable experience, but never thought I'd come out with a viable instrument, let alone my #1 jinashi flute!... I highly recommend the experience!... I guess it keeps coming back to the pleasures of constant learning... no doubt the Shakuhachi provides endless opportunities for that!... when people that don't know better call me "master" I laugh inside... almost forty years of playing and the instrument still kicks my butt all too often Smile
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-02-15, 03:43    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi Reply with quote

What I look for is one that can respond to any way I want to play it and create a diversity of sounds. But you can find that or not with modern and vintage and jinashi or jiari flutes.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-02-15, 07:21    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi Reply with quote

I do also like shakuhachi that challenges me. I have to adapt to it, find the way of blowing, playing on it that makes what this particular flute has come out. It is a process and so interesting. Here the beginners' mind can be kept intact, as Pepe mentioned.

Pepe, what are you doing in Tel Aviv? are you moving there?
Visit poster’s website Skype
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-02-15, 09:41    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi Reply with quote

Yes Kiku... I'm leaving March 7th for three months in Bali, teaching and performing, and then I'm relocating to Tel Aviv, where I plan to have a studio and teach both Drumming and Shakuhachi, besides opening a Yoga School with my wife. Funny thing is I will have arrived for only a week to Tel Aviv before I leave for the Colorado Camp... Crazy life! (love every moment though Smile) I'll look into organizing some kind of Festival there!... And I'll be closer to Europe!
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-02-15, 19:47    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi Reply with quote

Wow! How cool! Then we will have shakuhachi teaching in Beirut and in Tel Aviv!!!!!
I have an invitation to do some guest lectures at one of the universities in Tel Aviv.... could be cool if we could play together as well!!!!
New stuff happens! Okay
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-02-15, 22:27    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi Reply with quote

Count on it! You have a home there Very Happy
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-02-16, 03:47    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi Reply with quote

Why Tel Aviv?
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-02-16, 10:43    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi Reply with quote

My wife is from there and her family will join as partners in the new Yoga School. Besides... the suits are winning the battle here in Vancouver... prices are going up, taxes go up, rules and regulations and bureaucracy rule the day... the city basically dies at 10 PM, and the arts have no support... I could go on... It's very beautiful here but they traded intensity for safety and truth for political correctness... In Tel Aviv everybody is crazy... makes me feel at home Smile And the music scene is amazing! How about a Shakuhachi camp in the Sinai? (not the best weather for bamboo, though!)
Anyway... didn't mean to hijack this thread!
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-02-16, 11:46    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi Reply with quote

Shakuhachi camp in the Sinai sounds good, we'll bring the PVC flutes!

Okay Shocked Very Happy Evil or Very Mad Idea Arrow Okay Mr. Green
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-02-16, 15:38    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi Reply with quote

Don't worry about thread-hijaking. This happens!
I second a shakuhachi event in Sinai. If the Eurovision Song Contest includes Israel... why not a European Shakuhachi Summer School there???? Smile
Okay Okay Okay
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-02-16, 19:17    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi Reply with quote

We may be better off doing it in Winter, unless we make it a nude Shakuhachi Camp Twisted Evil It's incredibly hot and humid in Summer!
I'll definitely put my mind to it as soon as I get there.
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-02-17, 10:56    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Nude shakuhachi camp?

Bannir

Considering the gender balance and general...............................etc. NOT a very good idea!
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-02-17, 12:37    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi Reply with quote

Wink I personally think it is a

VERY GOOD IDEA

Mort de Rire Mort de Rire Mort de Rire
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:20    Post subject: Learning new styles on the shakuhachi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation