ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fully developing the feel of a song?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
chuck56

PostPosted: 2013-03-01, 17:44    Post subject: Fully developing the feel of a song? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hello All!

I’ve been working on Sakura for a long time, years. My wife and others say that it sounds good but I still have a problem with it, the feel of it never is quite right to me. Maybe it’s because the song is so well known, so iconic my playing of it just does not measure up in my mind.

I’m not asking for specific instruction or advice on Sakura but more your thoughts on how to fully develop the nuance and feel of a song?

Live the moment, be kind and be your self!
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-03-01, 19:06    Post subject: Fully developing the feel of a song? Reply with quote

If you indulge me in bringing the "Zen" angle to it... I would say that as long as you are keeping any "point of reference" belonging to the past and the "outside", you are "trying". Funny but "trying to be" never ends up matching "being". To get the full feel of a "song" the first job is to eliminate technical limitations by daily practice, the second is to "show up" "in the moment". Play it as if it were the first time... always! If you manage that, you are honoring the moment and the song... never mind what others say...
Another important element to remember is that you can apply this rule to each note! In Shakuhachi the "piece", or "map", is less important than each note in it, so don't miss the tree for the forest...
You can apply that rule to marriage too! Smile
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2013-03-01, 19:42    Post subject: Fully developing the feel of a song? Reply with quote

J. Danza wrote:
If you indulge me in bringing the "Zen" angle to it... I would say that as long as you are keeping any "point of reference" belonging to the past and the "outside", you are "trying". Funny but "trying to be" never ends up matching "being". To get the full feel of a "song" the first job is to eliminate technical limitations by daily practice, the second is to "show up" "in the moment". Play it as if it were the first time... always! If you manage that, you are honoring the moment and the song... never mind what others say...
Another important element to remember is that you can apply this rule to each note! In Shakuhachi the "piece", or "map", is less important than each note in it, so don't miss the tree for the forest...
You can apply that rule to marriage too! Smile

Thanks for these tips! Okay

I like this Zen approach.
Administrator

PostPosted: 2013-03-01, 20:18    Post subject: Fully developing the feel of a song? Reply with quote

Totally agree with that ! I don't know if that's a "zen" approach, but my opinion is that it's also true for western classical music.
Visit poster’s website
m a doherty

PostPosted: 2013-03-01, 21:46    Post subject: Fully developing the feel of a song? Reply with quote

I like what you say J. Danza.
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-03-01, 21:50    Post subject: Fully developing the feel of a song? Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that, JF... It was certainly not true of my classical training, where form was much more important than essence.
I did have an amazing guitar teacher, though. When a student played a piece absolutely perfect (form wise) in class, the teacher looked at him in disgust and said: "If you are not making mistakes at this point, you are not taking any risks". I never forgot that!
JF Lagrost
Administrator

PostPosted: 2013-03-02, 00:25    Post subject: Fully developing the feel of a song? Reply with quote

Being afraid of mistakes is a good way to make music sterile, particularly in classical music. One of my flute teachers taught it to me several years before I began shakuhachi.
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-03-02, 06:43    Post subject: Fully developing the feel of a song? Reply with quote

If you can sing the melody of a song and then strive for that feeling in your playing it is less mechanical than just playing what you think are the right notes.
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-03-02, 20:59    Post subject: Fully developing the feel of a song? Reply with quote

chuck56 wrote:

I’m not asking for specific instruction or advice on Sakura but more your thoughts on how to fully develop the nuance and feel of a song?

Hi Chuck, Once one becomes a musician, she/he uses notes like non musicians use words. Each word has many meanings and are only understood in context. So, as you are finding your musical voice, you are also now discovering that your word's need to have truer meaning.

Please permit me to use the analogy of theater acting. Once you get off book and memorize your lines, your words will show how much you truly understand what you are saying. That's when the monologue comes to life. Every actor has her own voice, her own sensibility of the world. In order to own a monologue, you must mean what you say. In a nutshell, to get to the nuance of a song, you must play it according to how you understand it.

Just my 2 centz Shocked
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 19:12    Post subject: Fully developing the feel of a song?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation