ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Kan register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2013-04-01, 12:58    Post subject: Question about Kan register Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hello,

I'm doing exercises from the book by Masayuki Koga "Shakuhachi, Japanese Bamboo Flûte",
I play these exercises in Otsu register and I try to always play in Kan register also.
I get about, of course the sound is not good, it is to say the least, but it is progress that I get about.
On the other hand, and this is my question, I am more at ease to make notes in the kan register when I blow a little bias, the Shakuhachi slightly to the left.
I have to continue like this, waiting to be more comfortable and to then keep the Shakuhachi right,
or do I have to learn this register being careful not to move the Shakuhachi at all ?

Thank you for your advice. Wink

PostPosted: 2013-04-02, 09:42    Post subject: Question about Kan register Reply with quote

Hi Plume,
have a look at this video, it is not about the shakuhachi but about embouchure in general. I found it most helpful and inspiring, since I have experimented myself with an slightly offcenter embouchure, and that helped me a lot to reach higher notes with more ease. I have to say however there is something I am not sure about yet. It seems to me that one has probably to sacrifice some volume by doing so. But Im still observing that, and perhaps one can compensate with a more powerful approach? By the way, I think that a lot of the best shakuhachi players also play offcenter, just have a look. Hope that helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTdzKB9mfE0

PostPosted: 2013-04-06, 11:00    Post subject: Question about Kan register Reply with quote

Hello Stefan,

I thank you for your advice and for the video.

I realize as well as that depends on which Shakuhachi I play, as I have to adapt myself to each, and that from day to day it's not the same thing ! There are days when I must to blow a little bias for the second octave, and other days not.
As I am in full learning, I have to make my embouchure and to discover what works best, as I play.

I suppose that when we know well how to play, we have not these problems. One day the sound is good and I am satisfied (with regard to what I can make),, and an other one I arrive at nothing. That can change also in the same session of play !

Patience...Thanks much for your reply. Okay

PostPosted: Today at 01:46    Post subject: Question about Kan register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation