ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Concentration and relaxation, two sides of the same coin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Chris Northover

PostPosted: 2013-04-26, 10:02    Post subject: Concentration and relaxation, two sides of the same coin. Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I was beginning my daily practice with Robuki, and I find it a help to use a clock with a sweep second hand to encourage me to play a longer Ro. Today the stem of my music stand, which is no more then 5mm thick was in front of the clock, causing the momentary disappearance of the second hand. This tiny disruption in my line of sight was, today, enough to spoil my concentration. Then it occurred to me that I normally relax into my practice, and in doing so my concentration can increase, but there are days when it seems impossible to settle. Clearly, the shakuhachi is not an instrument to be played unless you are "in the mood". I also find that my playing(read attempts at playing), is best done at certain times during the day.
In short, I am interested to know how other people prepare themselves, or not, for either practice or playing in front of people. With the latter, the time of playing is chosen for you and therefore is preparation is very different?
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-04-26, 14:58    Post subject: Concentration and relaxation, two sides of the same coin. Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Chris Northover wrote:
...this tiny disruption in my line of sight was, today, enough to spoil my concentration. Then it occurred to me that I normally relax into my practice, and in doing so my concentration can increase, but there are days when it seems impossible to settle. Clearly, the shakuhachi is not an instrument to be played unless you are "in the mood".

To me, getting ready to practice means getting focused. That puts me in the mood. Practicing is more energizing than relaxing.

Quote:
I also find that my playing(read attempts at playing), is best done at certain times during the day. In short, I am interested to know how other people prepare themselves, or not, for either practice or playing in front of people. With the latter, the time of playing is chosen for you and therefore is preparation is very different?

This is true for two of my most challenging students. My kids. I've found that when we had lessons after school, they were either too tired or to energetic to focus. Then I found that after their bath time, they had a new energy that was ready to tackle anything. Now, they run to their flutes immediately after bathing and start blowing with fun and excited energy. It's like magic.

The time of practice is not important for me, the awareness of what needs to be done during the practice is. I usually perform with the flute in the context of theater, so I try to memorize the material in order to be free when the moment arrives.

I think your practice method is constructive for technique and stamina. When you play for enjoyment, you may want to try different things.
Hope this helps, - Perry

Last edited by Perry Yung on 2013-04-26, 23:30; edited 1 time in total
Visit poster’s website
Chris Northover

PostPosted: 2013-04-26, 15:47    Post subject: Concentration and relaxation, two sides of the same coin. Reply with quote

Cheers Perry,
Yes a good practice session is definitely energising!
Some manuals suggest all sorts of imagery or routines to "relax" into a practice session, suggesting that your body needs to be "open" so that a good practice session is possible. I'm just wondering if tension leads to bad habits.
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-04-26, 23:28    Post subject: Concentration and relaxation, two sides of the same coin. Reply with quote

Tension is generally not good for overall playing. But there are moments when one does need to apply some tension to the lips or a certain meri fingering to get dai meri, but it's usually momentary and part of the larger technique. You certainly want to avoid gripping your instrument.

Relaxation is necessary to play the flute. Just don't fall asleep at a lesson Wink
Visit poster’s website
Chris Northover

PostPosted: 2013-04-27, 00:08    Post subject: Concentration and relaxation, two sides of the same coin. Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice,Perry.
Erin

PostPosted: 2013-04-30, 07:05    Post subject: Concentration and relaxation, two sides of the same coin. Reply with quote

For me, the discipline of playing every day is the preparation that works. I know I will practice daily. I use whatever time I have available but basically I know I will practice which is the mental preparation that I need. Though I do have some regular warmup drills that I usually start with, I also allow myself to deviate from that routine if there's a day where it would be more motivating to start with some simple folk tunes or a honkyoku that am familiar with before launching into practicing new techniques or pieces.
Regan Van Veen

PostPosted: 2013-04-30, 10:20    Post subject: Concentration and relaxation, two sides of the same coin. Reply with quote

I am finding recently that it is much easier for me to focus and find that energy after I have finished my daily run. I think that after running for ~60 mins with controlled breathing, controlling my breathing while playing suddenly doesn't require as much attention, and I can focus on other aspects of my playing.

Also, running just makes me happy, and it's always more satisfying to play when happy. I think that a lot of our daily productivity is based on our state of mind, so instead of just trying to get into the mood while practising, if you do things which make you happy first then you'll just keep that momentum going and have a more productive practise.
Yes, you can use this as a justification to eat chocolate before practising every day Okay
Chris Northover

PostPosted: 2013-04-30, 10:26    Post subject: Concentration and relaxation, two sides of the same coin. Reply with quote

I go for a long early morning walk, eat something and start practice. I guess I find Robuki useful to get my breathing into some sort of order, as well as my embouchure.
Erin, I'd be interested to know what your warm up drills are.
As to chocolate fuelled practice..... that's a win-win situation!!
meoweth

PostPosted: 2013-08-27, 02:23    Post subject: Concentration and relaxation, two sides of the same coin. Reply with quote

I like to play the shakuhachi when I'm walking outside, preferrably in a park, It's hard for me to just sit there and practice, but walking is so perfect.
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2013-08-27, 11:07    Post subject: Concentration and relaxation, two sides of the same coin. Reply with quote

I find it useful to have a daily routine and to distinguish between practice and playing. Practice means :every day, same place, same time (mostly). Practice what ever must be done. Warmup, drills, hammering on difficult phrases, learn new piece, Play known pieces and keep in mind what needs to be improved for the next practicesession. Be persistent. Ro(w) on.

Playing means don't practice. Just play and try to flow along with the piece. Connect to your feelings when you play. Flow on.
(Don't noodle around! You will get noodles! Play a piece).

It might be useful to have a fixed playing time as well. i. e practice in the morning, playing in the evening.
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 01:11    Post subject: Concentration and relaxation, two sides of the same coin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation