ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did I make a good buy ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
gerardo1000

PostPosted: 2013-04-27, 00:28    Post subject: Did I make a good buy ? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hi ! I am new to this Forum and new to Shakuhachi, although I play a bit (I am an amateur) other flutes as Irish Low D, Irish flute, Quena and the traditional silver flute.
I recently purchased a bamboo 1.8 shakuhachi by Mr. Shepard on E Bay, I really like it considering that I paid a very low price for it (less than $ 70.00). But I wanted to step up a bit, without spending a huge amount of money. I am aware that for less than $170.00 I could get a shakuhachi uu and that everybody thinks that for the price it is a very decent instrument.
But I really find the aesthetic of this flute very "cheesy: i.e. the imitation of the root end etc.... I mean: if you build a shakuhachi in ABS or plastic, that is fine, but there is no need to imitate the shape of a bamboo...
So...perhaps because I am influenced by the beauty of my irish flute and my quena, both made with wood, I decided to explore the option of getting a used wooden shakuhachi, even if (I know) it is not really part of the shakuhachi tradition.
After much search I happened to buy (I believe at good prices, after some negotiations) two wooden shakuhachi, one apparently bought in Tokyo many years ago, the other being an old version of the Zen On shakuhachi.
Here are the links to see the instruments:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330898925794?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p…
and here is the other link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-Japanese-Handmade-Woodent-Shoto-Shakuhachi-Flut…
I have not received the two flutes yet, but I would like to know from more expert forum members if they think that I made a good buy. Or not ? Thank you !
DaveW

PostPosted: 2013-04-27, 12:22    Post subject: Wooden Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Hi Gerardo,

I have been playing seriously for only 3 years, and so, I'm a relative beginner too. I have a number of bamboo flutes now and, I also have a 1.8 wooden flute made by Australian maker David Brown which is excellent in every respect. And so yes, it isn't bamboo, but I still get much enjoyment from playing it. It's perfect for travel too. Anyway, I am sure that you will get much enjoyment from your most recent purchases too.

You can find a comment from Riley Lee here on his experience with the wooden flutes of David Brown:

http://www.rileylee.net/shakuhachi_article_assorted.html

And so that you can see the similarity, here's David's web site to inspire you and to contribute toward the your enjoyment of your new instruments:

https://sites.google.com/site/dbshak/

And, if you go to the Sumi-e page you can listen to him playing one of his flutes too.

Welcome to Shakuhachi Gerardo and enjoy.
Cheers
Dave
Eugene

PostPosted: 2013-04-27, 16:13    Post subject: Did I make a good buy ? Reply with quote

DaveW wrote:
You can find a comment from Riley Lee here on his experience with the wooden flutes of David Brown:

http://www.rileylee.net/shakuhachi_article_assorted.html

That link does not seem to work for me (I get the page not found error), but searching around it seems to be:
http://www.rileylee.net/shakuhachi_article_assorted.html#wood

EDIT:
Oh, I get it. There is a filter on this forum that apparently tries to be so pedantic as to edit an abbreviation of "shakuhachi" (the first five letters) to "shakuhachi" after the post is submitted, but does the editing so ineptly that it changes URLs. Riley Lee is under no such compunction and hence uses this abbreviation in the URL of that page, leading to an incorrect URL when this forum messes around with what it shouldn't.
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-04-27, 16:42    Post subject: Did I make a good buy ? Reply with quote

These wood flutes are not David Brown flutes. They are made in the same factory whose other product is baseball bats. Some of them are not very good. Some are. These may have had some hand crafting, or not. It's difficult to appraise a flute by looking at pictures, particularly when the price is unknown. For $600 or so you can get a hand crafted wood flute from people like David Brown or Colyn Peterson that are definitely nice.
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-04-27, 16:51    Post subject: Did I make a good buy ? Reply with quote

Eugene, if there's an auto-filter it's probably on the word "s.h.a.k." in order to prevent hippies from saying, "Dude, nothin' like hitting the bong and blowing on my Ebay "s.h.a.k."!

Bannir

On the other hand s.h.a.k.u is a legitimate term of measurement. And shouldn't be subject to such censorship.

I don't think I have the powers to change that......JF, do you know how? Embarassed
Eugene

PostPosted: 2013-04-27, 16:55    Post subject: Did I make a good buy ? Reply with quote

The filter is definitely on the first 5, not just 4, letters of the word, since that is how it is used in the URL of Riley Lee's page.

I sent a message to JF just now.
Visit poster’s website
DaveW

PostPosted: 2013-04-27, 17:54    Post subject: Did I make a good buy ? Reply with quote

And Gerardo, just to confirm, even though in my post I mentioned David Brown alot, I wasn't suggesting that the flutes you have bought are David Brown's. I merely wanted to say that it is possible to obtain an enjoyable Shakuhachi experience without Bamboo and to wish you well.
Cheers
Dave
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-04-27, 20:20    Post subject: Did I make a good buy ? Reply with quote

Yes, that's right, wooden flutes can be groove thangs!

Here's 1.7, 1.9 and 2.0 from the guy who invented Yuu

Here are 3 by David Brown, Jesse Moore and Colyn Petersen.

gerardo1000

PostPosted: 2013-04-27, 22:47    Post subject: Did I make a good buy ? Reply with quote

For your info, the first flue was initially listed for $200, I finally paid 120.
The second flute was initially listed for 450, I finally paid 220.
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-04-28, 00:19    Post subject: Did I make a good buy ? Reply with quote

Surely they will be worth that! Good score! Okay
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-04-28, 08:52    Post subject: Did I make a good buy ? Reply with quote

Gerardo, you can always have someone experienced to check them out and if they are not "happening" you can send them to Perry for fine tuning. I've sent him a few Hondas and he always sends them back a Rolls Royce Very Happy
gerardo1000

PostPosted: 2013-04-28, 15:09    Post subject: Did I make a good buy ? Reply with quote

GREAT suggestion, thanks !
gerardo1000

PostPosted: 2013-04-29, 22:50    Post subject: Did I make a good buy ? Reply with quote

Incredibly enough I received both shakuhachi today, Monday, after only 2 days from the purchase !
I spent a couple of hours observing the instruments in detail and playing them Please take into account that I am
a real beginner therefore my review is the review of a non expert. First of all, I think that I paid a very fair price for both instruments. The older one (paid 120) is a 1,6 shakuhachi, not a 1.8. It is nice and in excellent
condition, the only thing that show the age of the flute are the two brass rings that look worn.
I had to add a thin layer of plumber tape to one joint in order to have a stronger junction between the two parts.
The shakuhachi seems quite easy to play to me, perhaps just a tad easier than the beginner bamboo shakuhachi that I got
one week ago from S. Shepard. The sound is warm and pleasant. I can say that I like this instrument although I do not know if I really need two different keys especially now that I am a beginner.
The second Shakuhachi (paid 220) which apparently must be an older two pieces from Zen On, is absolutely mint, like new. It is gorgeous and seems very accurately made to me. I needed a bit of cork grease to put the two parts together. Is is a 1.8, and in my humble opinion it is a great shakuhachi, easy to play and most important with a wonderful sound (to my ears). As far as I can judge from just two hours spent playing with these two new toys, this is the instrument I am in love with !
Thanks to everybody for their opinions and insight.
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 20:44    Post subject: Did I make a good buy ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation