ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-bound?
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  

Would you prefer to have a shakuhachi pre-bound or would you rather run the risk and have a shakuhachi without bindings?
Yes, pre-bound.
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
No, wait for crack(s) to have bound.
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 10

Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-05-25, 09:43    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Some people also think cutting into the wood changes the tone of the flute. I don't think so. I prefer inlaid bindings if they're done really well. They can actually add to the beauty of an instrument.

But the best thing is still pure bamboo!
Derek Choice

PostPosted: 2013-05-25, 22:12    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

Ideally, a jiari maker could inlay the sub-bindings prior to beginning the bore, and apply the decorative rattan once the flute was finished.

The tonality should (theoretically) be no different than an unbound flute, unless the vibration inhibitor debate comes into play. I don't really subscribe to that theory, for jiari flutes, anyway.

Maybe a prolific maker could do a small # of pre-bound flutes per year, for those in very dry and/or dynamic climates?
Visit poster’s website
Itamar Foguel

PostPosted: 2013-05-25, 22:20    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

Brian, what type of finish do you like on inlaid binding? wood bark? rattan? laquer?
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-05-25, 22:58    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

Rattan sucks.

Wood bark and urushi are fantastic.

The most beautiful and practical is to cut into the wood, nylon bindings, then cover with either wood or urushi. Someone recently did it for me with some kind of western lacquer and that was great too.

Rattan is susceptible to damage, which makes it one of those traditions which should fade.
Itamar Foguel

PostPosted: 2013-05-26, 14:30    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

ya but what if you look for something that fits the bamboo look? i recently done full inlaid binding on a flute and i didnt make my mind yet what kind of finish i want to give it, my only problem with urushi is the fact it really stands out instead of blending with the bamboo
Visit poster’s website
Jon Kypros
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-05-27, 14:01    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

To add to the knowledge base, you can get all kinds of veneer for what Brian is talking about. It's used a lot on drum kits. Ringo Star used real shell veneer on his Rolling Eyes

The shell is from a place called aquabluemaui.com

Guitar "Bindings", those 1/4" strips would also work nice and I imagine celluloid tortoise bindings might work well.

PostPosted: 2013-05-27, 15:32    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

Quote:
Rattan is susceptible to damage, which makes it one of those traditions which should fade.

Inlaid rattan isn't any more susceptible to damage than wood veneer or (cherry) tree bark. [probably less - depending on what wood]
If it comes loose and unwinds that means sloppy workmanship

Last edited by De Fouw on 2013-05-29, 21:13; edited 1 time in total
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-05-29, 08:16    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

De Fouw wrote:

If it comes loose and unwinds that means sloppy workmanship

Then I've seen a lot of sloppy sloppy work! Mort de Rire
Itamar Foguel

PostPosted: 2013-05-29, 13:48    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

i think rattan is very pretty, it has this humble look that fits the bamboo and the essence of shakuhachi from my point of view.
Ironically, the price of rattan isnt humble at all.
its one of the most expensive materials in shakuhachi making. rattan for a full binding of a flute can cost around 50-100$ for the maker...
so im always on the lookout for a more inexpensive finish for bindings that gives the same feeling of the subtle and humble rattan look.
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-05-29, 14:03    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

Look at the cherry wood binding on the flute second from left. That's the kind I like. I had that done, because the previous rattan binding had come apart. That flute also has another kind of binding we haven't mentioned that is also beautiful. Staples.

De Fouw

PostPosted: 2013-05-29, 16:45    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

Quote:
Then I've seen a lot of sloppy sloppy work!

Mort de Rire please note I refer to inlaid rattan binding; the exterior rattan-only and some urushi version might be a different matter..... Wink Idea Okay

Last edited by De Fouw on 2013-05-29, 21:12; edited 1 time in total
Lawrence Huff

PostPosted: 2013-05-29, 21:00    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

I think what you're talking about is a "gilded lily". The cherry bark is only a veneer, it does not have the strength to be a binding. I for one love the simplicity of bamboo, if and only if it cracks would I want it bounded. The old guys, got it right with inlayed rattan, it does not detract from the beauty, yet it harmonize with the contour of the bamboo. I think most of us would opt for inlay rattan if the cost wasn't so prohibitive. The nylon cord my be stronger, but it looks and feel so out of place, function and aesthetic both have a purpose to serve.
Itamar Foguel

PostPosted: 2013-05-29, 23:47    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

my friend Henrique from Brazil send me once some natural string to try and use as a rattan substitute, it looks fine and looks well as long as you give it a finish coat of clear epoxy or the like.
ill add some picture of the bindings both with and without urushi on it that i have done in the past on flutes i got for repair.

Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-05-30, 10:15    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

Lawrence Huff wrote:
Hi Brian,

I think what you're talking about is a "gilded lily". The cherry bark is only a veneer, it does not have the strength to be a binding. I for one love the simplicity of bamboo, if and only if it cracks would I want it bounded. The old guys, got it right with inlayed rattan, it does not detract from the beauty, yet it harmonize with the contour of the bamboo. I think most of us would opt for inlay rattan if the cost wasn't so prohibitive. The nylon cord my be stronger, but it looks and feel so out of place, function and aesthetic both have a purpose to serve.

The bindings are under the wood. Same as with rattan bindings most of the time nowadays. It's just a matter of looks, and for me, experience with what materials are stable or not. Because I send my flutes off to be bound if there's a problem and I don't want to have to send them again because there's a problem with the bindings or nakasuke as a result of using rattan, which is unreliable.

But for looks alone, sure, that's just a matter of aesthetics.
Eugene

PostPosted: 2013-05-30, 11:08    Post subject: Pre-bound? Reply with quote

Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
The bindings are under the wood. Same as with rattan bindings most of the time nowadays.

As in say, nylon cord might be used for the binding, then the "inlaid rattan binding" placed on top for aesthetics?
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 01:01    Post subject: Pre-bound?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3  >
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation