ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to make pure tones?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2013-05-20, 18:00    Post subject: How to make pure tones? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hello !

I have a problem, everything I play is always windy.

I love it, because it is this sound that attracted me to the Shakuhachi. Very Happy

But I also get to make pure sounds, but my attempts remain unsuccessful.
I mean a sound that would look like (even from afar Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ) to those that made Riley Lee for example.

Do you have technical advice to give me?

I take any of my Shakuhachi, Jinashi, Jiari, Jimuri, the sound is always windy, why?

Thanks for your help. Wink

PostPosted: 2013-05-20, 23:23    Post subject: How to make pure tones? Reply with quote

That goes with time, your embochure will develop and you'll hit clear notes much more frequently.

Practice and patience my friend! Smile
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-05-21, 09:13    Post subject: How to make pure tones? Reply with quote

Hi Plume Blanche

Try to imagine the air from your lips coming out in a vertical narrow shape rather than round or horizontal shape. Just the imagination can help some times - but also try really to make that shape. The reason for your sound to be windy is that your breath is too wide and it hits places that only produces noise. It is a matter of focusing the breath to basically hit only the sweet spot that produces the sound.

So narrow breath is the key word for now. It is also a good way to conserve air so your breath becomes longer.

If you get a nice pure sound then try the best you can to "feel" the embouchure: how is the mouth shaped, how strongly do I blow, how is the embouchure - also the relation between lips and the flute and pursue it again and again, trying to reproduce it.

Otherwise it is, as already mentioned, practice! Smile It will come!

Have fun!!!
Visit poster’s website Skype
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-05-21, 14:14    Post subject: How to make pure tones? Reply with quote

I ask my students to put their hand a few inches from their mouth and blow. If you feel your breath on your whole hand you are blowing too lose. Tighten your embouchure until you feel on your hand exactly the spot the air is hitting, like a laser... then try the flute...
Also practice long tones at the top of the second octave to get strong embouchure muscles (high Chi is good).
Of course the quality of your flute matters, and if you want to sound like Riley, just practice patiently for another fifteen years or so!
GalinaSG

PostPosted: 2013-05-21, 21:58    Post subject: How to make pure tones? Reply with quote

It was not my question, but anyway, thank you for the ideas of exercises!

PostPosted: 2013-05-24, 19:42    Post subject: How to make pure tones? Reply with quote

Thanks much Jam, Kiku and J. Danza. Okay

It opens me new road to explore.

I'll practice your advice tomorrow! Razz

PostPosted: 2013-05-25, 15:55    Post subject: How to make pure tones? Reply with quote

Waow! Razz I just tried your advice. I view a much clearer sound.

This isn't still good of course, but this is much better!
The icing on the cake, the second octave comes out more easily and the sound is prettier.
(It was a real battle for me to make Kan register, and the result was horrible).

It only remains for me to work! Wink

Thank you very much!!! Okay

PostPosted: Today at 20:45    Post subject: How to make pure tones?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation