ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings from New York!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Muraiki Music

PostPosted: 2011-04-01, 20:21    Post subject: Greetings from New York! Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I just discovered that shakuhachiforum.com is no more, so I'm making the move to this wonderful site.

My name is Austin Shadduck and I've been playing shakuhachi for a little over 2 years under the guidance of Michael Chikuzen Gould. For the past few years I've been more of a composer than a performer (I'm most proficient on saxophone) while pursuing a master's degree in composition at Queens College in the greater New York City area. My master's studies are coming to an end and I'm thinking about signing up for another five years of doctoral work in the fall, which is a double-edged sword. Either way I'm going to continue playing shakuhachi, and hopefully write more for it! My username, Muraiki Music, comes first from shakuhachi playing (I love big, breathy sounds), and it's also the name of my ASCAP-registered music publishing entity.

In case you are interested, I've written one piece for shakuhachi and guitar. Here is a description and audio files for your listening pleasure:

Haiku for shakuhachi (or flute) and guitar, 2010

A haiku is a short poem of Japanese origin, typically with a seasonal reference, that can be contained within one breath. In this vein I composed three fleeting soundscapes that seem, at least to me, to express the beauty of autumn by evoking the season’s changing colors and windswept leaves. The titles of the movements come from a haiku I created to give me direction in writing the music:

Music in autumn—
floating on the breath of time
as a falling leaf.

I. Music in autumn
II. Floating on the breath of time
III. As a falling leaf (This recording is a reading taken under tempo.)
Visit poster’s website
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2011-04-05, 07:44    Post subject: Greetings from New York! Reply with quote

Hi Austin

Good you moved over to the new forum.
Nice to listen to your music. Who's playing?
Visit poster’s website Skype
Muraiki Music

PostPosted: 2011-04-05, 11:52    Post subject: Greetings from New York! Reply with quote

Hi Kiku. That's me on shakuhachi and a friend, Sarah Soller, on guitar. The piece was my first live shakuhachi performance and I learned very quickly that being nervous dries out your mouth and makes it tricky to play! Relaxation is key. Thanks for listening.
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 01:20    Post subject: Greetings from New York!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation