ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flute Making Tools Shop in Japan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop
Previous topic :: Next topic  
andrea83

PostPosted: 2013-06-12, 09:13    Post subject: Flute Making Tools Shop in Japan Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hi everyone,

I'm Andrea from Italy. I just put a post where I've asked where to enjoy traditional music in Japan in July.
But as I try to be a beginner flute maker I would like to know if somebody knows where I can find shops in Japan that sells flute making tools, like mejiro in Tokyo (maybe even a bit cheaper it would be great!) in Tokyo or Kyoto or anywhere else.
Thanks a lot!
Regards

Andrea
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-06-12, 12:51    Post subject: Flute Making Tools Shop in Japan Reply with quote

Ciao Andrea, benvenuto.

In Tokyo, you will be able to find most of the tools needed for shakuhachi making here: http://www.tokyu-hands.co.jp/en/

Many tools for shakuhachi making are common tools so they can be easily found in Italy. The long garibo files are somewhat unique however. I purchased mine from Mejiro.
Enjoy your trip.

Ciao! Perry
Visit poster’s website
andrea83

PostPosted: 2013-06-12, 14:47    Post subject: Flute Making Tools Shop in Japan Reply with quote

Ciao Perry, grazie!

thanks for the info. you're right, some tools can be found here but some others are really impossible to find.
like the hollowing tools, the long rasps for example. also thin rattan is impossible to find here.
by "long garibo files" you mean long rasps?
thanks again!

andrea
Lawrence Huff

PostPosted: 2013-06-12, 20:54    Post subject: Flute Making Tools Shop in Japan Reply with quote

Hi Andrea,

You're in luck, John Neptune is giving a shakuhachi making workshop July 13-14 in Tokyo at Mejiro and members get discount on tools. You will also meet the owner of Mejiro. If interested you can register at Mejiro's site. http://www.mejiro-japan.com/products/lessonworkshop-booking/neptune-worksho…
Good luck.

Lawrence
andrea83

PostPosted: 2013-06-12, 21:39    Post subject: Flute Making Tools Shop in Japan Reply with quote

thanks Lawrence for the info,

unfortunately (well actually fortunately) the trip to Japan it's my "honeymoon" and I don't know if if I can do that workshop! Smile
thanks anyway for the info!

andrea
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-06-13, 12:56    Post subject: Flute Making Tools Shop in Japan Reply with quote

andrea83 wrote:
thanks Lawrence for the info,

unfortunately (well actually fortunately) the trip to Japan it's my "honeymoon" and I don't know if if I can do that workshop! Smile
thanks anyway for the info!

andrea

Ciao Andrea,

Yes, the garibo is the round rasp file on the end of a rod. I have many different grades and they are showing signs of wear these days. I have been thinking of having some custom made here by a welder in New York City. I haven't found a source for rattan used for shakuhachi outside of Japan. (Japanese rattan is made from bamboo skin while real rattan comes from another plant).

If you are serious about making shakuhachi, I would seriously consider Lawrence's advice. This would be a rare opportunity to learn from a truly great maker. I attended one of Mejiro's shakuhachi making workshops in 2002. It was super informative, fun and I'm always inspired when I think about it. Imagine being in a room full of people with nothing better to do than to make shakuhachi. In your case, it may be different though Wink

- Perry
Visit poster’s website
andrea83

PostPosted: 2013-06-14, 10:50    Post subject: Flute Making Tools Shop in Japan Reply with quote

ciao Perry,

your thoughts about that workshop are making me really think about making it! who knows?!
thanks for the info about rods and rattan (well bamboo actually Smile)

andrea
Lawrence Huff

PostPosted: 2013-06-28, 03:22    Post subject: Flute Making Tools Shop in Japan Reply with quote

Hi Andrea,

I've been researching musical events for you, there's a Honten Shakuhachi concert on July 9(Tuesday) 18:30 pm at Kioi Sho Hall in Tokyo, the price is Y4,000. If you are interesting in going get it touch ASAP, my friend in Tokyo will make reservations for you and will even go to the concert with you(he is not playing nor does he know the musician). I really hope that you enjoy your stay in Japan and go to John's workshop at Mejiro. Looking forward to hearing from you(yes or no, on the concert, so I can inform, my friend).

Lawrence
andrea83

PostPosted: 2013-06-29, 10:53    Post subject: Flute Making Tools Shop in Japan Reply with quote

Hi!

that's very nice of you researching events for me! I'm arriving in Tokyo on the 9th so I won't know if I can go to that concert until that day..

by the way thanks to you (for telling) and to perry (for encouragement) I'm going to do the Neptune's Workshop! thanks a lot guys!

Andrea
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 01:46    Post subject: Flute Making Tools Shop in Japan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation