ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange duet (Cello/Shakuhachi)

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Author Message
Plume Blanche
Member

Offline

Joined: 12 Sep 2012
Posts: 251
Localisation: France

PostPosted: 2013-06-17, 16:02    Post subject: Strange duet (Cello/Shakuhachi) Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I wanted to do a strange duet between a Cello and a Shakuhachi.

The Cello music is made with my music software, on which I play my favorite Shakuhachi, old kinko 1.9
bought to Ronnie Seldin and refurbished by Perry Yung.

I hope that this strange moment you enjoy!


_________________
Don't give up. Nomally it is the last key on the ring which opens the door. (Paulo Coelho).
Back to top
Regan Van Veen
Member

Offline

Joined: 12 May 2012
Posts: 12
Localisation: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: 2013-06-18, 03:29    Post subject: Strange duet (Cello/Shakuhachi) Reply with quote

I can't listen to your track right now (I am at work with no headphones), but if you want to hear another fantastic coupling of Cello and Shakuhachi then Riley Lee and Peter Grayling have an album called "Train to Okinawa" featuring entirely those two instruments Smile

EDIT: I just borrowed some headphones from a co-worker and listened to your track, and I loved it. I has a great otherworldly quality to it (and the artwork for the video was a good choice too in that respect).
Back to top
Perry Yung
Professional Member

Offline

Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 346
Localisation: New York City, UWS

PostPosted: 2013-06-18, 15:45    Post subject: Re: Strange duet (Cello/Shakuhachi) Reply with quote

Plume Blanche wrote:
I wanted to do a strange duet between a Cello and a Shakuhachi.

The Cello music is made with my music software, on which I play my favorite Shakuhachi, old kinko 1.9
bought to Ronnie Seldin and refurbished by Perry Yung.

I hope that this strange moment you enjoy!


Wow! I'm sure the maker of this fine old shakuhachi would never have imagined that his instrument would be recorded in the future with computer software for the world to hear. Indeed, a strange moment in time. These are the moments I bask in :shock:

Merci! - Perry
_________________
"A hot Dog is not an animal" - Jet Yung
Blog on shakuhachi, art and parenting - www.yungflutes.com
Back to top
Visit poster’s website
Plume Blanche
Member

Offline

Joined: 12 Sep 2012
Posts: 251
Localisation: France

PostPosted: 2013-06-21, 18:02    Post subject: Strange duet (Cello/Shakuhachi) Reply with quote

Regan Van Veen wrote:
I can't listen to your track right now (I am at work with no headphones), but if you want to hear another fantastic coupling of Cello and Shakuhachi then Riley Lee and Peter Grayling have an album called "Train to Okinawa" featuring entirely those two instruments Smile

EDIT: I just borrowed some headphones from a co-worker and listened to your track, and I loved it. I has a great otherworldly quality to it (and the artwork for the video was a good choice too in that respect).


Hi Regan,

I just listen to excerpts from the "Train to Okinawa" album, it's great.
I find that the cello (and piano too) have a special magic with the Shakuhachi.

I am very happy that my piece you like.

Parts of the cello and the Shakuhachi are obviously very simple musically speaking, but I find that the two work well together.

Thank you for your comment. Very Happy
_________________
Don't give up. Nomally it is the last key on the ring which opens the door. (Paulo Coelho).
Back to top
Plume Blanche
Member

Offline

Joined: 12 Sep 2012
Posts: 251
Localisation: France

PostPosted: 2013-06-21, 18:17    Post subject: Strange duet (Cello/Shakuhachi) Reply with quote

Perry Yung wrote:
Plume Blanche wrote:
I wanted to do a strange duet between a Cello and a Shakuhachi.

The Cello music is made with my music software, on which I play my favorite Shakuhachi, old kinko 1.9
bought to Ronnie Seldin and refurbished by Perry Yung.

I hope that this strange moment you enjoy!


Wow! I'm sure the maker of this fine old shakuhachi would never have imagined that his instrument would be recorded in the future with computer software for the world to hear. Indeed, a strange moment in time. These are the moments I bask in Shocked

Merci! - Perry


Hi Perry,

I had not seen things from this angle, and it's very interesting.

Actually, I think that that which has made this Shakuhachi, not imagined it to be played and with today's technology, and his instrument fell into the hands of a novice woman who has so little experience and who lives so far away!

It is true that according to whether we are optimistic or pessimistic, one can find that damage, or great. I am for the second proposal. Razz
_________________
Don't give up. Nomally it is the last key on the ring which opens the door. (Paulo Coelho).
Back to top
Perry Yung
Professional Member

Offline

Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 346
Localisation: New York City, UWS

PostPosted: 2013-06-23, 07:06    Post subject: Strange duet (Cello/Shakuhachi) Reply with quote

Plume Blanche wrote:


It is true that according to whether we are optimistic or pessimistic, one can find that damage, or great. I am for the second proposal. Razz

Bonjour Elizabeth,
I also tend to side with the positive, the glass is half full. But, these days, I think whether it is positive or negative is not really something I should take sides with, but just to acknowledge that it is yin and yang - one exist only because of the other.
_________________
"A hot Dog is not an animal" - Jet Yung
Blog on shakuhachi, art and parenting - www.yungflutes.com
Back to top
Visit poster’s website
Kiku Day
Moderator

Offline

Joined: 20 Mar 2011
Posts: 865
Localisation: Nr Snede, DK/London UK

PostPosted: 2013-06-24, 04:49    Post subject: Strange duet (Cello/Shakuhachi) Reply with quote

It is cool you have gotten so quickly into recording.
Who knows what the shakuhachi would be used with in a 100 years time.... somewhat exciting! Okay
Keep on blowing! Smile
Back to top
Visit poster’s website Skype
Plume Blanche
Member

Offline

Joined: 12 Sep 2012
Posts: 251
Localisation: France

PostPosted: 2013-06-24, 20:03    Post subject: Strange duet (Cello/Shakuhachi) Reply with quote

Thanks Kiku. Very Happy

I soon started to make videos on Youtube because I don't know anyone around me who plays this instrument, and most of my friends do not like the sound of the Shakuhachi (even if I make them listen to people who play very well).
It is an instrument with a very particular sound, and many people are not sensitive.

As it is a difficult instrument, I go through great moments of joy, and also periods of discouragement. To continue to hang me, I need to have feedback.
And it makes me extremely happy, when I read on Youtube of feedback from people that I do not know and which are everywhere!
It gives me strength to continue.

In this respect I am very pleased that Youtube exists, I would never have found this instrument, which I didn't know existed.

Going back to what you said, the fact that this instrument is old please me much, I can imagine that it was played by a Japanese monk! Razz
_________________
Don't give up. Nomally it is the last key on the ring which opens the door. (Paulo Coelho).
Back to top
Kiku Day
Moderator

Offline

Joined: 20 Mar 2011
Posts: 865
Localisation: Nr Snede, DK/London UK

PostPosted: 2013-06-25, 17:16    Post subject: Strange duet (Cello/Shakuhachi) Reply with quote

I agree that Youtube is amazing! The possibilities for its use is manifold!
I do like the way you use it. It is VERY creative! Brava! Smile

Okay
Back to top
Visit poster’s website Skype
Plume Blanche
Member

Offline

Joined: 12 Sep 2012
Posts: 251
Localisation: France

PostPosted: 2013-06-25, 20:05    Post subject: Strange duet (Cello/Shakuhachi) Reply with quote

Okay
_________________
Don't give up. Nomally it is the last key on the ring which opens the door. (Paulo Coelho).
Back to top
Contenu Sponsorisé






PostPosted: Today at 20:46    Post subject: Strange duet (Cello/Shakuhachi)

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2017 phpBB Group