ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The tale of the mysterious dream of a shakuhachi!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
wildhenry

PostPosted: 2020-01-31, 03:00    Post subject: The tale of the mysterious dream of a shakuhachi! Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I bought my first Shakuhachi from the late Dan Mayers when he lived in Kent UK, it was a Zenmura 1.8 and I loved it!
I studied and practiced for a few years and sadly one day it cracked when I played it out doors on a hot day, it was repaired by Richard Stagg who did a fine job.
After sometime other musical projects eclipsed my shakuhachi journey I lost interest and regretfully I sold it.
Sometime later I played some of my shakuhachi recordings and became very deeply inspired once more but sadly I had no Shakuhachi!
So I then bought a lovely 1.8 Yasuhiro from Mejiro and continued my practice once more.
Not long after I had this very vivid dream....I was in a strange City in an atmospheric 'old world' street when I came upon this 'curiosity' shop, in the window was a shakuhachi,
I entered the shop and was greeted by an old man with a long white beard, I asked how much he wanted for the flute and he said "10 pounds" I then woke up and forgot all about the dream.....weeks later I made a trip to my local supermarket and next door to it there was a charity shop, much to my astonishment in the window was what looked like a Jinashi shakuhachi, larger than a 1.8, I trembled with shock and delight! Sadly the shop was closed so I went home to a sleepless night returning early the next day in fear that someone else may have spotted my find....the shop opened and I was greeted by an old man with a long white beard who when I ask how much he wanted for the bamboo flute in the window he replied " Oh is that what it is,let me look at the price tag. Ah yes it's ten pounds"!!!
When I got home I realised I had bought a very old 2.1 Jinashi nobekan which plays really beautifully.
This believe me is a true story and I am still amazed to this day, indeed that really is shakuhachi magic!

Many blessings to all,
Geoff.

PostPosted: 2020-02-19, 02:58    Post subject: Nice dream-tale! Reply with quote

Hi Geoff,

I've been playing for 24 years but have never been blessed with such a dream. You are lucky. Seeking the sound in one's imagination is a rich, rewarding quest.

Happy hunting (there are inexpensive, auction treasures out there) and blowing (imagine the most glorious sound possible and your body will figure out how to produce it!)

And just read again to realize that part one was the dream - part two was the awake-dream. You should have bought a lottery ticket that same day. Smile

Shakulatte (aka Adam)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Cookies | Charte | Conditions générales d'utilisation